• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wanting to improve my deck, don't know where to start

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2015
    Hey!

Thanks for checking out this thread, means a lot. I purchased a Ancient Origins Iron tide deck and I love the water and metal cards, I really wanna continue using them. I just got a Aegislash EX today and I've incorpareated it in my deck and I've made several improvements to the deck, all I really need now is help on what cards I need to add, what cards I need to get rid of, and just help in general, My budget is anything and im looking for a standard deck that is competitive as well. I am willing to get any card to improve it and Im willing to make any changes as well. I know this is mostly just a iron tide deck with improvements but I like water and iron and I want to keep it that way. I want to make this deck competitive so any changes that are said mean a lot, as I know that energy, trainer, and pokemon count need fixing! Thanks so much!

DECK LIST

POKEMON:

1x : Aegislash EX PHF 65
    1x: Registeel AOR 51
    1x: Regice AOR 24
    2x: Metagross AOR 49
    1x: Metagross AOR 50
    2x: Metang AOR 48
    4x: Beldum AOR 47
    4x: Meowth AOR 61
    2x: Persian AOR 62
    3x: Eevee AOR 63
    2x: Vaporeon AOR 23
    2x: Magikarp AOR 19
    1x: Gyarados AOR 21
    1x: Relicanth AOR 23

TRAINERS:

1x: Lucky Helmet
    1x: Switch
    1x: Level Ball
    2x: Professor's Letter
    2x: Healing Scarf
    1x: Wally
    1x: Pokemon center lady
    2x: Tierno
    1x: Ace trainer
    1x: Roller Skates
    1x: Faded Town

ENERGIES:

10x: Metal Energies
    7x: Water Energies
    2x: Double Colorless Energy

Thanks!

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    The theme decks tend to be a pretty bad guideline on how to build a deck. Firstly you should focus on the Pokemon you want to use and take out everything else you don't need. I can't actually tell what you want to build based on that list since the theme decks have no focus. You want to minimise the amount of Pokemon you have since the game allows you to mulligan until you get a basic Pokemon.

The other thing to note is that you shouldn't fall into traps of seemingly good cards. Tierno would be instantly banned in any other game but in Pokemon it is completely outclassed by just about every supporter. There's no point in playing a card that lets you draw 3 when you have cards that can give you 7 new cards. Battle compressor is a good card to get since you can use it to thin your deck of 3 cards you don't think you need or better yet you can dump a supporter and add it to your hand with a VS seeker. Ultra balls are also very good since you get to search for any Pokemon of your choice and the discard 2 is not much of a problem since you will be discarding your hand or shuffling it back into the deck with your supporters anyway.

Professor Sycamore is the most used supporter in competitive play, Lysandre is also considered a staple supporter since you can force your opponent to switch into a Pokemon of your choice. The other supporters will just depend on what your deck is.

You can also cut down on energy because you can only attach one energy per turn and you will have energies in your hand most of the time since you have so much drawing power in this game and you have the professor's letter to search them out.

If you think your budget is huge then you might want to invest in 2 Shaymin-Ex since they're a staple in most decks, they let you draw until you have 6 cards in your hand when they're placed on the bench. Since they aren't supporters they aren't even limited to once per turn.

If you're planning to run steel type then a good Pokemon is Bronzong since it lets you attach metal energy in your discard pile onto Pokemon on your bench. If you include the energy in your hand you can attach metal energy twice as fast onto your Aegislash.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2015
    My simple advice would be to play with the deck and see what its vaults are. While your playing ask your self what is this deck lacking? What cards do i not use? What cards just are not good enough?

Back