• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

War

How do you feel on War?

• War is a horrible, discusting thing.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • War is fine, and it solves problems.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • It doesn't bother me either way.

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalylia

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    War. A touchy subject yet, but this poll is for you to post your opinions on that nasty word, war.

Personally, I hate it. I hate it with a passion. I regularly leave my History classes when we watch war films, just because I can't stand that much pointless death.

"War doesn't prove who's right and who's wrong. It proves who's left."

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
    In my opinion,war is time consuming,money wasting,and massacre >> I don't see how something so bad can fix an already unsolved situation.In the end,we all know no one shall win .__.;~

So,my vote goes for horrible disgusting thing.Because that's what it truly is~

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I really don't like war. It is a waste of time, money, and lives. But sometimes you need war to fix things. I still don't like them though.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    War gives unemployed people jobs
    War solved the Great Depression
    obvoiusly, War has it's good and bad points

and, it does kind of solve problems. The United Nations pretty much exists to keep countries that pose a threat (to the world) [AKA countries(leaders of them) getting too powerful] in check. If they get too powerful, then the United Nations will go to war wiht the country that happens to pose a theat.

Now, if you're going to argue that it leaves countries in serious debt, we've already solved much as that problem as we've learned from how badly the Treaty of Versailles failed.

Also, just telling someone just to stop doesn't solve anything at all, as seen with Hitler and his rise to power, which is why we go to war more often, for example, with Iraq, and now, taking action with Iran.
    To make it simpler, i'll use the traditional cookie example. When a little boy starts bickering about how he wants a cookie, the mom will refuse. Eventually the boy gets on her mom's nerves so much that she gives him a cookie as long as he stops. As people say, he don't learn that he shouldn't bother to get a cookie, he learns that he can get more cookies by bothering his mom.
    As for hitler:
    Germany takes Austria, League of Nations goes "Just don't do it again"
    same goes for the rest of East Europe, they sign a Nonagression treaty with Russia and they're pretty much all set until Germany(or was it Japan...) attacked Russia and it became a "war on 2 fronts"

"War doesn't prove who's right and who's wrong. It proves who's left."
    As for this quote, it's mostly not at all to prove who's right or wrong. It's more of to either:
    A) Spread influence - (War on Communism) [This is probably the type you're talking about]
    B) Get resources - (Imperialization of Africa)
    C) Remove a cruel person from power - (Iraq, WWII)

Sure some of them are messed up reasons, but in the end, it DID solve something and it DID have an impact, not saying the impact is always positive, but it DOES make an impact.

As a conclusion, i guess i'd have to say war isn't that bad. Sure, a bunch of lives are lost, but they die fighting for a country that believe in. No one proves that as much as the bunch of the suicide bombers/Kamikaze pilots. It's not like they were forced to do it, it's that they were willing to die for their country.

Final opinion, I'm ok about war. Not that I'm a huge war freak, it's just that i think that wars DO solve things. Not always things that align with my ethics, but it still does works. So in the end, i would rather go for a so-so opinion. Suck that half the polls are : You're totally for it, completely against it, or don't care -_-

Ah, i guess my little rant is over. I really don't like seeing an argument without the other side of it, which is why i REALLY suck at making decisions. So as this side of the argument, i guess i'll leave this.
    "If someone were to take something very precious to you, would you take action, or just tell them to stop it?"

Kogenta

Lost Realist
    Years
    Choosing any of the poll options would be difficult for me . . .

I do not believe that war is something quite so black and white as to be defined as completely good or completely bad. That is, there are certainly absolutes in this world. However, even with black and white, a single jar can have beads of both colours.

In any case, the third option would not quite function for me either. ^-^;; War is significant to me.

As much of a paradox as it may seem, at times war can prevent death. Often, without the resolution a war brings, killing will continue indefinately. People are different and will inevitably have different ideas, opinions, agendas, etc. And, some people would prefer not to have a peace talk over coffee. ^-^;;

While humans are human, a world without war is one with no one left alive. Hoping for a world without war would be too idealistic--not that I am denying that war and killing are terrible. War is certainly not something that I desire.

Is war useless or pointless? Is it a waste of life? Forgive me if I seem callous, but everyone will eventually die. War causes death. But, life even more inevitably leads to the same end--whatever the direct cause may be.

Basically, yes, war is horrible, tragic, and often repulsive. But, it still has its purposes and place. It is undeniably part of this world and, in some aspects, a "necessary evil."

:: sigh :: I seem to be having difficulty properly expressing my ideas. I may edit and/or add more later if I find myself able to write more comprehensively.

Alex The Great Master

Zeophyte in Eternal Exile
    Years
    In most cases, war is pointless, not only it's bad economically, but it's also bad cuz many people die. The only case war was needed was in WWII, because Hitler is a crazy man and should have been stopped. Of course, the League of Nations was quite crappy. Whatever, war right now is useless, it should be used only as a means to defend yourself.

Kim

Years
    I chose "doesn't bother me either way." War is necessary, but most people are too close-minded to realize that. It is not always good or bad, but usually, necessary.

Whoever the original poster is, you're in for a doozy when you hit high school. 'Cause guess what? War has existed for a good long time. You think you can just leave class cause war offends you so much? Pfft. And what about guest speakers? My father is a guest speaker on the Vietnam War. Would you walk out on a guest speaker?

Naminé

ナミネ..
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2011
    Can Naminé say that it is bad and terrible, yet it is a necessity for the meantime?

Afterall, how did the world get out of the Great Depression? The United States have to thank Hitler for starting the war so they can pump out endless tanks of mass destruction to exchange endless tanks of cash from Britain to finally kick start the economy from the pits. The world's economy, on an overall basis, did drastically improve due to the government's order of production with weapons, picking up the markets. Yet like everything, a cost must be paid, and the payment for war is the lost of lives.

Naminé thinks that war is inevitable if a country's economy is suffering. When the country's economy plunges down to a certain low, a war will start in some way or another, for whatever reason, in order to secure the economy and hopefully jump starts it again.

Naminé doesn't like this, but doesn't see a way to go around it either~

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
    Wars are paradoxical, albeit necessary in life; people fight for peace. Hate it or not, personal opinions won't matter during the midst of battles.

I choose the indifferent option, nevertheless.

Emma

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2012
    I don't really understand wars, I mean, A country has a war with another country (Of even their own) And if the other country lost, they would one day try to get them back =/ It's just an neverending thing so why do they fight? Because they must know that it's gonna hit them back one day.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Alex The Great Master said:
    it's bad economically.
    No it isn't. O_o If anything it helps the economy, most people already know that's how America was able to rise from the great depression. To me it always seems like a necessary evil, and among civilized countries, it's usually the absolutely last option. Everything can't be solved by talking, diplomacy isn't an infallible system. I don't see it as "humans killing other humans for pointless victories", most armies tell their soldiers not to kill if it all possible. When a soldier does kill it's either because they're fired upon first or because it's the last option they have. I just think it's crazy how going by the thinking of some people today, Hitler should have been left alone and nothing should have been doing to stop that because it was only "more pointless killing". If life is lost in war, soldiers know what they put on the line when they sign up, so people shouldn't chastise a country on that matter. If an enemy dies, it's because they were too stubborn to be taken in peacefully and are usually the type that hold no value on life and will kill for any reason, so is it right for them to be left out there to kill?

phantom_zangetsu

PC's sandman!
    Years
    once i used to like war...but when ive heard and saw films and soundclips of world war 2 i feel that the leaders of each country...are very irresponsible and child-ish....fighting each other for the sake of...imperialism? some leaders think that having big territories mean you are the most powerful being on earth....the economy is greatly decreased by the inventions of new and hi-tech weapons.....i think human kind is destroying itself...

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    I hate it,
    my country was in the middle of the WWs.
    What is left from it, is no good.
    Thousands of white crosses in Flanders Fields, some of soldiers who are unkown to the outside world.
    Get rid of War and live in Peace!...

Eig

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2008
    Hmm... War can have its good and bad points, but I hate war. >_> End of comment by me... That's all I can say now. ._.'

Amy-chan

Has vacated the premises
    Years
    I hate war. I hate all the violence and corruption in this gorram world, and war is the stage for a major part of it. I think war morally incorrect and cruel and hurtful to so many people, so many lives. I wish it would all just end...

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 12, 2014
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2006
    War is terrifying and awful and crappy and unfair and violent. but isn't it also necessary? A necessary evil, if ever there was one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back