• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wardrobe/Customization & Hair Options Discussion

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    Or could they limit character customization to just within secret bases? I'm seeing trainers in there with different outfits.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Or could they limit character customization to just within secret bases? I'm seeing trainers in there with different outfits.

They may have changed up the models for them. In past generations certain trainer classes looked different compared to their counterparts in another game in the same generation.

Years
    That's likely because they're other players visiting the base, and like previous games with compatibility features similar to what super secret bases will be, they assigned the other players an NPC so that it wouldn't just be a room full of Brendans and Mays. Doesn't rule out customization, but not a confirmation either.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I just assumed that they were other members who had visited and challenged the "gym," and the person who designed the gym was able to place them where they liked? I think it would be pretty strange if we could just allow NPCs to stand in our gyms, so the avatars being stand ins for other players makes more sense.

Years
    That's likely because they're other players visiting the base, and like previous games with compatibility features similar to what super secret bases will be, they assigned the other players an NPC so that it wouldn't just be a room full of Brendans and Mays. Doesn't rule out customization, but not a confirmation either.
    They didn't really assign them (at least not in the most recent games), rather we got to pick which trainer class we are such as in Gen IV and Gen V. I assume that'll return for these games.

I do think the chances of customization are dropping, but hopefully they'll show it off. Also I noticed that May and Brendan have their full set of clothes while Serena or Calem depending on which was the rival lacked the hat. I wonder if that's a sign of lack of customization, or an indication that the Rival in ORAS are more important than Serena/Calem :3

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    They didn't really assign them (at least not in the most recent games), rather we got to pick which trainer class we are such as in Gen IV and Gen V. I assume that'll return for these games.

I do think the chances of customization are dropping, but hopefully they'll show it off. Also I noticed that May and Brendan have their full set of clothes while Serena or Calem depending on which was the rival lacked the hat. I wonder if that's a sign of lack of customization, or an indication that the Rival in ORAS are more important than Serena/Calem :3

Serena/Calem were kind of forgetable as Rivals really, for me X/Y lacked in term of Rivals even if we had 4 Rivals their story were not really deep and kind of felt rushed.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Has it really been confirmed it's a thing? I hope it is, because I believe the games will be compatible with the PSS. Then again, the possibility of playing as Brendan/May would be diluted by customization. Still, considering the success of the feature, it would be silly not to feature it in any future games.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Has it really been confirmed it's a thing? I hope it is, because I believe the games will be compatible with the PSS. Then again, the possibility of playing as Brendan/May would be diluted by customization. Still, considering the success of the feature, it would be silly not to feature it in any future games.

So far no customization has been confirmed for the Trainers themselves. Pikachu however gets a dress up game disguised as a Contest and Amie feature.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019

Calem and Serana are as important of figures as Brendan and May and we could customize them. Honestly, I have never considered the characters we play in the Pokemon games to be anything but "us". I know as far as the anime is concerned, they have real names and their own backstories, but in my mind, the character is a proxy. And not in the same way as other Nintendo characters that you can name, like Link for example.

I know these are remakes, so I don't expect it one way or the other, but I was really hopeful that the introduction of customization would signal the beginning of more and more customized PCs.

Also, as was mentioned by someone before, I think it would be a terrible decision from a PR standpoint to revert to a point where you couldn't at least choose skin tone (and they honestly need to have access to a wider spectrum of skin tones). Any non-white skinned person kind of gets the shaft with their PC if they do this. I think it is stupid and honestly without excuse.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Calem and Serana are as important of figures as Brendan and May and we could customize them. Honestly, I have never considered the characters we play in the Pokemon games to be anything but "us". I know as far as the anime is concerned, they have real names and their own backstories, but in my mind, the character is a proxy. And not in the same way as other Nintendo characters that you can name, like Link for example.

I know these are remakes, so I don't expect it one way or the other, but I was really hopeful that the introduction of customization would signal the beginning of more and more customized PCs.

Also, as was mentioned by someone before, I think it would be a terrible decision from a PR standpoint to revert to a point where you couldn't at least choose skin tone (and they honestly need to have access to a wider spectrum of skin tones). Any non-white skinned person kind of gets the shaft with their PC if they do this. I think it is stupid and honestly without excuse.

Except we aren't playing as Calem or Serena. Calem and Serena only exist as the psuedo rival/BFF. The Player Character is someone else entirely since they were given preset different appearances to start with. Calem and Serena weren't customizable. X and Y (or Xavier and Yvonne) were.

Calem/Serena were the NPCs not the PCs. Nintendo/Gamefreak/TPC when referring to the PCs always had them as X/Y or Xavier/Yvonne. Normally that was just pre-release holder names, however this time it wasn't the case. They kept using Xavier and Yvonne as the default player names in the advertisements well after release. X and Y are so far the only games where the Protag isn't a default character. The NPC took that role from us using a default name and model similar to that of the PC but couldn't be altered.

Brendan and May are deep seated and set in stone. All we'll get is minor artwork changes and sprite alterations like how Gold changed to Ethan. Name and Wardrobe.

Years
    Except we aren't playing as Calem or Serena. Calem and Serena only exist as the psuedo rival/BFF. The Player Character is someone else entirely since they were given preset different appearances to start with. Calem and Serena weren't customizable. X and Y (or Xavier and Yvonne) were.

Calem/Serena were the NPCs not the PCs. Nintendo/Gamefreak/TPC when referring to the PCs always had them as X/Y or Xavier/Yvonne. Normally that was just pre-release holder names, however this time it wasn't the case. They kept using Xavier and Yvonne as the default player names in the advertisements well after release. X and Y are so far the only games where the Protag isn't a default character. The NPC took that role from us using a default name and model similar to that of the PC but couldn't be altered.

Brendan and May are deep seated and set in stone. All we'll get is minor artwork changes and sprite alterations like how Gold changed to Ethan. Name and Wardrobe.

The anime Serena's name sort of confirms that the players names are Serena and Calem (the anime Serena's design is based on the player's after all, rather than the rivals). Strangely the girls' counterparts don't get new names like Ash (Red), and Jimmy (Gold/Ethan)...

Anyways the reason May and Brendan may not be getting customization may be due to being classical characters. Though GF already changed them quite a bit from their original designs so that excuse won't fly if that's why...

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    They will still be May and Brendan if you chang their clothes, it would be boring to always wear the same outfit everyday, same for the haircut.

Years
    We dealt with it before (2 years ago was the previous time we couldn't customize after all), so it won't be that annoying. The remakes tend to lack things in the original pair. FR lacked a clock, HGSS lack the location evolution rocks and a magnetic location. ORAS seems like it'll lack customization of the player.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019

Eh, I'm not sure I buy that. Calem and Serana are practically identical to the PC. The only thing that is different is that they don't wear a hat (which maybe is a big deal, idk lol).

Even given that the X/Y protagonists are "technically" not Calem and Serana, they are practically Calem and Serana. The difference seems so slight it hardly seems to be a good excuse for why they wouldn't allow customization for the ORAS games.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I'm pretty sure the only difference with Calem and Serena is they don't have a hat, and with in terms with Serena, a different hairstyle.

Other than that, they are pretty much the same. I'm pretty sure it would be an odd coincidence that there would be two very similar looking characters, with almost the same outfits, and be addressed as different. It's like saying I would clone myself and just make my clone have a different hairstyle, and BAM, new character.

I feel like that argument is a little bit flawed for my taste :/

Years
    I don't really see how that connects to customization in ORAS honestly. The main thing that would keep them from adding the feature is the fact that Brendan and May are already popular, recognizable characters in the series and they might not want their outfits to be altered.

Years
    I don't really see how that connects to customization in ORAS honestly. The main thing that would keep them from adding the feature is the fact that Brendan and May are already popular, recognizable characters in the series and they might not want their outfits to be altered.

That very true, but then again when one really thinks about it, that wouldn't be a very good reason. Especially considering how they changed May's clothes a lot (more so than Brendan).

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    Apparently, in the new CoroCoro leak, we get Cool Brendan and Cute May, so I guess it means #WardrobeCustomizationSemiConfirmed?

Spoiler:

I do hope they make one for every stat atleast.

Last edited:

Years
    Apparently, in the new CoroCoro leak, we get Cool Brendan and Cute May, so I guess it means #WardrobeCustomizationSemiConfirmed?

Spoiler:

I do hope they make one for every stat atleast.
    Can you please put spoilers on that, please. It's too big.

They may only be contest only. I wouldn't mind them being wearable outside of contest like how Pikachu keeps it's costumes on outside of contests :3

Years
    I hope they're wearable outside of contests, especially if you get more outfits from Lucia & those are the only outfits you'll get ;o; ...Though, even if Trainer Customization does return, I'd still like to wear them outside XD

...Also, despite having looked at that picture for some time when the leaks were first shown, I just realized the male protag. is dressed like Pika Rock Star and the fem. protag. like Pika Pop Idol. That may just mean they will get more outfits, probably ones like what the Pikas have. Also, looking at it even more, the image sort of reminds me of Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V, but that's just me :V

Back