• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WARNING! DO NOT UPDATE YOUR WII TO V 4.2!!!

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    My friend was an idiot and gave me 40$ to get him his 4.1U the HBC. Then he got to 4.2U and it's a... paperweight! Literally, it's bricked.
    Rare doesn't mean it never happens. It just means it's rare. And the bricking is far more rare than people think, just like swine flu is a bunch of overblown nonsense (a flu with a slightly higher fever? oh no! and yes, I had it) and every other thing people go nuts about because it hit some media outlet.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    No, it doesn't have a high chance of bricking. You're about as likely to get a bricked Wii out of the box.

It does have a higher chance of bricking. If you visit one of the main Wii scene forums on the internet, you'll see many of us laughing at how many people are complaining about the reports of people who have unmodded but bricked Wiis.

May I turn your attention to this?

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    So... I now have 2 problems... that and Beatles.

Anyway, if my Wii does NOT get bricked... then I can restore the data with a Bannerbomb... or we can just hack the firmware to make it think we're on 4.2 and not have many ISOs (or any important ones, that is) changed.

Now I want to do something to Reggie that Aegis did to Bill Gates. Okay, no... I'm laughing at their misfortune.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
    It does have a higher chance of bricking. If you visit one of the main Wii scene forums on the internet, you'll see many of us laughing at how many people are complaining about the reports of people who have unmodded but bricked Wiis.

May I turn your attention to this?
    The numbers are about the same as the number of out of box Wii bricks, like I've already said. You just hear about those less because (surprise) people return them when they're pre-bricked. When you have to wait for repairs, you're usually a bit noisier about it.

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    If you've deleted every thing Homebrew off you're Wii, will it still "break" my Wii?

yvette

Heyyyyyyy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Well, my Wii can't connect via WiFi (using WPA here) so I won't be affected either way. xD Sucks for the owners of bricked Wiis, though...

I've got Homebrew on my DS, but that can't use WiFi either. xDD

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    The numbers are about the same as the number of out of box Wii bricks, like I've already said. You just hear about those less because (surprise) people return them when they're pre-bricked. When you have to wait for repairs, you're usually a bit noisier about it.

Do you have any evidence for this? I doubt it.

The bricks caused by the 4.2 update no longer occur because Nintendo has removed the component of the update that was responsible for the brickings.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I have FUD because I Homebrewed to a high level! (Until I can get rid of it and re-do it later, heh heh.)

Yeah, I got DVDx, BootMii, MANY WADs, WAD Memory, and a bunch of other crud... and SSB.

twocows

Years
    Do you have any evidence for this? I doubt it.

The bricks caused by the 4.2 update no longer occur because Nintendo has removed the component of the update that was responsible for the brickings.
    I did back when I said it, but now I don't. Oh well.

Years

...sorry. I had to.

I'd be quite inclined to backup my save files to an SD Card before trying this. If you get it repaired, chances are, you'll lose your saves. I think Nintendo needs to rethink what they're doing. Piracy may be bad, but clean homebrew is harmless and can only make the console more popular to modding enthusiasts.

Can't they backup the Firmware first, or something?

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years

...sorry. I had to.

I'd be quite inclined to backup my save files to an SD Card before trying this. If you get it repaired, chances are, you'll lose your saves. I think Nintendo needs to rethink what they're doing. Piracy may be bad, but clean homebrew is harmless and can only make the console more popular to modding enthusiasts.

That is awesome. I actually almost updated myself, but when I was about 1/10 of the way through I cut off my internet so that it would abort saftely. When I learned about the whole bricking situation I was like "Oh shi..."

But it's all good and I will continue to enjoy using homebrew (Despite quelms about it being illegal). I only have homebrew to watch videos and to make my wii region free, I don't think that I'm taking anything away from Nintendo doing this am I?

twocows

Years
    ...sorry. I had to.

I would personally argue that piracy isn't an entirely bad thing. The music industry's argument that a single download equals a lost sale is absurd, and has been disproved multiple times. In fact, I believe there were two studies done by different universities; one showed that 5000 downloads = 1 lost sale, and the other showed that 2500 downloads = 1 lost sale (sorry, can't cite; I only heard about these studies, Google didn't turn up anything besides the /. comment I found them in). If we take that to be true, then even if there were 1 million downloads of a given game, there would only be 400 lost sales (or 200 if we take the higher number). However, this isn't taking into account the extra word-of-mouth sales that are garnered by the people who pirate the game. That number may well be as high as 10% (or higher), which is a lot more than what would be lost by piracy.

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years
    I would personally argue that piracy isn't an entirely bad thing. The music industry's argument that a single download equals a lost sale is absurd, and has been disproved multiple times. In fact, I believe there were two studies done by different universities; one showed that 5000 downloads = 1 lost sale, and the other showed that 2500 downloads = 1 lost sale (sorry, can't cite; I only heard about these studies, Google didn't turn up anything besides the /. comment I found them in). If we take that to be true, then even if there were 1 million downloads of a given game, there would only be 400 lost sales (or 200 if we take the higher number). However, this isn't taking into account the extra word-of-mouth sales that are garnered by the people who pirate the game. That number may well be as high as 10% (or higher), which is a lot more than what would be lost by piracy.

I complety agree with you. It shouldn't be done, but to argue that it's complety bad is a losing arguement. There have even been cases of pirated movies and games increasing the popularity of a certain series. Take the videogame Earthbound. Almost everyone I know who's ever played it used an emulator, but now the game is so popular that english fans who played it are now importing it's sequal from Japan legally :shocked:. I would also have to agree with the case of music. No matter where it comes from, if you like the artist and create buzz that alone will make money for the original distributor.

But don't get me wrong, I don't support piracy, but I still think it's fairly unharmfull regardless.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2020
    Thanks for telling me,I have two wiis:one for playing,and one for Homebrew.I am not going to update any of them.:D

FlameShocker

C++/ASM Programmer
    Years
    Rare doesn't mean it never happens. It just means it's rare. And the bricking is far more rare than people think, just like swine flu is a bunch of overblown nonsense (a flu with a slightly higher fever? oh no! and yes, I had it) and every other thing people go nuts about because it hit some media outlet.
    I agree with on both your points. The swine flu is just a bunch of crap. It's nothing to be worried about. You're probably just as likely to die from the regular flu as you are likely to die from the swine flu.

Also, I hardly use my Wii, anyway. It, like most computers and cell phones, starts up slowly (at least, some of the games do). The GameCube was way faster at starting all games.

Back