• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Was Iris that disliked in Japan that's not even going to get a cameo?

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Every past female companion has gotten a cameo in every series, from the looks of things
    Iris isn't getting one.

I know she was I think the least liked of the BW cast and over all from what I heard.

Years
  • I think it's safe to assume the previous-gen female companion cameo has been scrapped this time around. I hated Iris as well and it was one of many reasons the Unova saga felt unwatchable to me, and while she had her cute moments I feel it's always overshadowed by her "what a kid" insults that are targeted towards Ash.

Misty is obviously the most-loved female companion among the fandom, while Serena and Dawn had a good amount of development, and May also had interesting development due to her not liking Pokemon when she started her journey. Iris was to the fandom, "too different" and they blame her as the reason they didn't enjoy BW most of the time so it made sense she won't cameo because the bad reception could come back to haunt the writers.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • From what I remember, Max is pretty disliked, but got a non speaking cameo.

Iris also got a special episode dedicated to her meeting Claire at one point back, but it was never dubbed, but it does exist.

So, dislike aside...

The anime isn't over yet. Iris could still appear before it ends, but it's just very, very unlikely at this point. Never say never, I wouldn't rule it out. Also, I don't hate Iris, I just thought her potential went to waste completely. =/

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    As Musique pointed out, Max had also been hated by the audiences of the anime, yet even HE got a non-speaking cameo. Heck, even Tracey got cameos whenever Professor Oak got involved, and he was practically hated upon his debut. Whatever the reason Iris didn't get to reappear, it wasn't because of her being hated. Shame, really, because she really deserved a cameo far more than Dawn, considering with the latter that she literally had no business in Unova in the first place since it does not have Pokémon Contests.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I will be totally honest, she is probably my most hated character in Pokemon. Even more than Max. Iris and Cilan were both extremely annoying. I loved BW, but it could have done without them 2. And I rarely dislike any characters in the anime.

As of right now, I highly doubt she will. She really has no reason to return during the Flare Arc, especially with so many characters as is. We only have about 12 more episodes, not including ones already reveled, that are left before Alola anime starts.

We have 15 week left before the Alola Games comes out. 3 episodes are already named for the next 3 weeks. September usually has 2 or so weeks break and October usually has one. We also usually have a week or two between new generations. So that leaves us with about 11 episodes before Alola starts. So it is unlikely anyone will come back form previous generations.

If Ash does win the League, she might make an appearance with Ash battling the dragon lady in the Elite 4 of Kalos.

Back