• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Was it good to have only Unova Pokemon in the main storyline?

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    It made it make more sence to me, because In the Sinno region you saw nothing else why should this be any diffrent

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • No Pikachu and Rattata is always a good thing. Plus it forces you to use the new guys instead of relying on your old standbys and it really gave the sense that this was a completely new region.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I don't mind it at all, not one bit to be honest. It really works out in showing that it's pretty much a far away region. It also makes it so much more fresh, no more Zubat, Rattata etc..

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Heck yeah it was a good idea. Im tired of seeing Caterpies and Pidgeys in EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. at the beginning, id much rather see some of that regions based Pokemon. Though its a double edged blade, since you can miss out on some good Pokemon that are halfway decent until midway through the game. And seeing as it made you get acquainted with the new Pokemon.. Ah, what was that one theory.. How one is thrown into a cave and made to learn how to survive through experience? Or something like that, it makes you have to learn quickly the types of Pokemon, their strengths and weaknesses, rather than relying on some old Pokemon like Pidgey which EVERYONE knows the moveset, what hes strong and weak against, etc etc. Overall, I liked it. Its Unova, not friggin Kanto. WE DONT NEED PIDGEYYSSS. Lol

zigazav

Fanfiction writer inactive
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2017
    Yeah, it's good that most previous gen pokemon arn't in this game, many of the pokemon you get at the begining in gen I-IV were not good, unless you train them allot! In pokemon HG, I had a pigeot as my flying pokemon to get to places, and my team had a weakness for electric pokemon, so pokemon trianer Red beat me allot! Still......having no pikachu is a downside. it breaks the pokemon tradition. (pikachu being in every gen of pokemon.) And pikachu's light ball made it very powerfull! The light ball also allows you to make a pichu egg that when it hatches, the pichu will have the rare move: Volt Tackle! (another downside is that you can't get items from previous generations of pokemon into Black or white!)

Dr. Montague

FOnewm
    Years
  • I definitely felt this was a good idea. It truly made the game feel new, and brought back the excitement of "I don't know what this Pokemon is, but it sure makes me want to catch it!" that I haven't felt since Gen II. Also made me happy to know that I don't have to keep seeing Geodude, Zubat, Pikachu, and other annoying stuff that was present in every game.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah, only Unova Pokemon ftw. It'd mean finding past gen Pokemon in the DW would be less exciting for one imo (only if they were used by trainers in game tho because it'd defeat the purpose if they weren't). Though tbh, new start = new region = new Pokemon, I like that formula.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

Why does everyone keep referring to Pidgey and Rattata? They only appeared in games that featured Kanto (and Sinnoh post-game). Hoothoot, Zubat, Geodude and Tentacool were much worse offenders - they're in every pre-Gen V game there is. Even Onix at least missed out Hoenn.

ChainedTeapot

Let's Player
    Years
  • I liked it, made it feel more new rather some new Pokémon and some old ones just in a new location, this time it was all new and made it fun trying to get familiar with the new Pokemon as opposed to just using ones you are familiar with and perhaps one or two new ones.

NatureKeeper

It was refreshing. No Rattata, No Geodude, No Zubat, No Magikarp and none of that crap they gave to evil guys before, and how Geodude was a staple for Rock-type trainers.

I personally liked it. I would've liked it even more if they removed them post-storyline.

Years
  • It was refreshing. No Rattata, No Geodude, No Zubat, No Magikarp and none of that crap they gave to evil guys before, and how Geodude was a staple for Rock-type trainers.

I personally liked it. I would've liked it even more if they removed them post-storyline.

I might have to agree with you, NatureKeeper.

Some of the Unova Pokemon were actually my favorites.

Sul_Zala

Collector of tales
    Years
  • I think it was good. It forced me to get to know the new Pokemon and I even started liking several of them after inspecting them more thoroughly, looks-wise and moveset-wise. It also freshed it up. Yeah, no Zubats, NO TENTACOOL (to all WoW players here: I swear Tentacool are the Murlocs of the Pokemon world.)

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
  • I didn't like the idea at first but once I found out about the dream world and how it can be accessed before the national dex, I really didn't mind it. I also thought about the fact that there was nothing stopping me from getting a friend to send me some previous generation Pokemon before the national dex so in the end I guess it really wasn't a bad idea.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I really liked having only Unova Pokemon. If they hadn't, my team probably would've consisted of mostly old Pokemon and I wouldn't have had the same chance to discover new favorites. So overall good, with little to no bad.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • I Actually Beat the 2nd and 3rd Gyms using a non-unova pokemon (Charmeleon) that i got from a trade, then after that i just left in the PC and Used Unova pokemon Like My Serperior and Excadrill and Accelgor

Back