• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Was Platinum worth it?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yes, it was worth it. Maybe because I forgot of its' existence (I knew it was coming out a week before the release date, but didn't remember to buy it until August), and wasn't on here at the time, so didn't really see much hype around it.

But the new features were good - the Pokétch is much more usable, particularly when they give you the Match-up Checker in-game, rather than by event. Battle Frontier, whilst not as good as the original in Emerald (which never gets old as I've never even defeated a Frontier Brain, although I ended a battle with Dome Ace Tucker in a Double-KO, which meant he won even though it was a draw), is fun, and a lot better than just having the Battle Tower, although Battle Tower's music is some of my favourite in all of the games.

The addition of formes didn't really bother me much, as other than when I actually had the Shaymin event, and when I had Giratina, I didn't use them. However, the slightly extended storyline was good, Looker was hilarious (it's sadly worn off in BW, as you don't see him enough), and Charon was mildly amusing, as he seemed more inclined to Team Rocket-like activities than Team Galactic's "destroy the universe" tactics. The loss of slots didn't bother me much, as whilst they are mildly entertaining, finding coins is much more helpful, and it also sets Diamond apart as the only Gen IV game with slots.

The various graphical improvements were good, and whilst Battle Zone's tropical climate seem extremely random and wrong, it was better than the original version, which just looked like an extension of the routes leading to and from Veilstone City. And the tropical look is much worse when it's dumped onto mainland Johto in Hg/Ss.

The fact that my Diamond is unreliable may also have helped it, but overall, as you can see by the wall of text, I think Platinum was definitely worth it, although all games should be priced more like Black/White, at £25-ish instead of £30-35.

Cresselia*

Ace trainer
    Years
    I think it was worth it, The Distortion World was awesome and graphics were enhanced ^^. I don't really care playing the same story twice, or more times 'cause thats what I always do when I'm bored! xD

Richard Nixon

Banned
    Years
    I think Platinum was worth it. Got both Palkia and Dialga at lv 70 on it using ultra balls! Plus getting more Pokemon like Tangrowth, Magmortar, Electivire and Porygon Z. Doesn't matter if the Pokedex is bigger, the game is still worth it.

Pingouin_7

... After reading this thread, it made me want to play Diamond.
    It also made me realize Diamond was better for nostalgia, since I have much more memories of playing Diamond than memories of playing Platinum.

Every game after Diamond, I started playing in pretty much the same way each time.
    Diamond had much more memories for me.
    I could go on for a while...
    Getting Diamond after waiting over 200 days for it, getting Piplup for the first time, getting the first badge and trying out the Underground, getting the seventh badge within two days, catching Dialga at Spear Pillar, beating the league for the first time with a high level Empoleon and my Dialga, exploring Battle Island, getting Manaphy Egg from Ranger, getting a Turtwig egg and a Chimchar egg from a friend, restarting the game so many times, getting shiny Wooper and Geodude from a friend, getting a Lv. 66 Palkia from a friend and training it to Lv. 100 in no time, using cheats to walk directly to Newmoon Island and Flower Paradise, restarting again to get Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus the right way, getting access to Wi-Fi, getting so many event Pokémon from trading over Wi-Fi, completing the Pokédex from trading over the GTS, restarting my game when I had a complete Pokédex and a Lv. 99 Torterra...

There is many more, but I enjoyed Diamond more than Platinum.

But for people who never played D/P/Pt and are just looking for the best fourth Generation game to play, Platinum is obviously better.

The loss of slots didn't bother me much, as whilst they are mildly entertaining, finding coins is much more helpful, and it also sets Diamond apart as the only Gen IV game with slots.

The fact that my Diamond is unreliable may also have helped it.

This first statement is slightly incorrect.
    The Japanese, US and Australian versions of Platinum had slots.
    Plus, the Japanese versions of HeartGold/SoulSilver had slots.
    So you cannot say D/P were the only Gen IV games with slots.

And it happens to me too, my Diamond has trouble being read by my DS.
    But that's pretty much only because my friend has had it for some time.
    For some reason, ANY game that my friend had owned always have contact issues with my DS.
    Super Mario 64 DS, Pokémon Diamond, etc...
    I think simply using them more and more would probably make them work more.

Last edited:

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Platinum was extremly worth it. I myself feel platinum is the best pokemon game ever. I love it! It was so much better than DP. Platinum has given me a very worth while 550+ hours of entertainment!

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    This first statement is slightly incorrect.
    The Japanese, US and Australian versions of Platinum had slots.
    Plus, the Japanese versions of HeartGold/SoulSilver had slots.
    So you cannot say D/P were the only Gen IV games with slots.

And it happens to me too, my Diamond has trouble being read by my DS.
    But that's pretty much only because my friend has had it for some time.
    For some reason, ANY game that my friend had owned always have contact issues with my DS.
    Super Mario 64 DS, Pokémon Diamond, etc...
    I think simply using them more and more would probably make them work more.

Ok, D/P were the only Gen IV games with slots in all regions. Better now?

Also, I think your friend may accidentally knock your games out of the DS whilst still playing them...my brother ejected my Diamond while I was playing it, and it's never been quite right since.

Years
    I liked the big changes in the game - the storyline - a lot. I didn't think it had been fully covered in Diamond and Pearl - it felt a little rushed - and the Distortion World was fun to be in, and explore. The little details are what make me think it was worth it, though. Surf speed being sped up was good, because it was way too slow in the games before it, and the battle screen was different, on both the top and bottom screen. The HP bars had changed, obviously, which I liked - I hadn't really liked the DP ones at all - and the bottom screen's buttons were smoother, and actions happened quicker after you select something than in DP. I can't really play Diamond now without thinking of how much better Platinum is - those little things annoy me more than anything. I'd play Diamond over and over again if they were a little better.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2017
    Though my Pokemon White outclasses it now, I think Platinum was well worth it. The storyline was a lot more interesting with Giratina in it and a lot of the new features, and even some of the little changes, made it a more enjoyable game for me. It's pretty much made my Diamond obsolete (which I am thinking of selling).

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Pokemon Platinum was definitely worth it. I always felt that Diamond/Pearl was too slow for me. Besides, some of the sprites were much better. Garitina's origin form was pretty cool, and much more prefered than its altered form. I, however, don't think the Distortion World was all that. I only went there for Garitina and the Griseous Orb.

I've already completed the game five times, each time restarting after I got my starter to level 100. I have yet to play my Platinum for the final and sixth time.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    There were a lot of changes, new places to explore... And gym rematches. I think that was my first game I bought, I forgot... But it was worth it at the time, since I didn't buy D/P until months after.

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Platinum is definitely worth it! the sprite animations were much better, and Giratina, being my favorite legendary, definitely deserved a second form. The distortion world wasn't much of a thrill, but it added to the effect of Giratina.

I practically live for the battle frontier, I was heartbroken when I didn't see it on D/P. It was after I bought Platinum that I found out that the Battle Frontier was on it, and I was elated. all in all, I think platinum offers a crapload more in game than Diamond or Pearl did, so its definitely worth it :D

.Marion

RNG Master
    Years
    Yes Platinum was so satisfying for me. It had great additions and you had lots of thing to do in post-game. Its really fun :D

CyberBlaziken

huh? whaaaaat?
    Years
    It was worth it.

Platinum covered what D/P lacked
    The Pokemon Sprites were way better and the Distortion World/Battle Frontier was a fine add-on.
    Improved Gameplay, Faster, Graphics and the Plot.

The Giratina Origin Forme was awesome. And the fact that you could get both Dialga and Palkia at Lvl. 70 was totally wicked.
    The Post-Game training was good and the weekly Rival battle.

And what about your own Villa? xD

Greenbeans

Guardian of Le Foret
    Years
    i liked platinum a lot and thought it was worth it but i do think that they should have put a few more new extra pokemon in or should have had more special events in it other than that i do like it

Sul_Zala

Collector of tales
    Years
    I'll join the ranks of those who think it was worth it. Most has already been said, though, so I'll probably just repeat xD"

-I liked the Fem starter sprite more. (What's up with the F!starter sprite's skirt/trousers getting short each gen???)
    -Some new areas, especially the volcano area where it's easier to plevel some mons. And the Coffee Shop. Also good to train and plevel. I'm a lazy person ._.
    -Distortion world <3 I think I stayed in there at least half an hour just to explore and I'd love to go back... It had style.
    -Giratina Origin Form <3 total love. LOVE, I SAY. Yeees, I'm a Giratina Fangirl xD
    -Slightly extended plot

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    Bump bump, ahem, I liked the new Pokemon that I could use early on, a freaking Ralts and Onyx before the first gym? Yes please.

Faster game speed was nice but I never payed attention.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Ok i was NOT excited about buying platinum because diamond and pearl were boring and terrible and stuff. Compared to D/P platinum was HEAVEN it was so worth it it was way better.

Prime-

Monotype Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    Pt was a shining example of why the 3rd game tops the previous 2. It fixed the random E4 teams, provided access to all Sinnoh pokemon on the first playthrough, allowed easier use of accquiring powerful TM's and Moves E.G. Ice Punch/Rock Slide

Whenever I flick diamond on, it feels so clunky and obsolete.

Major Tom

♖♞♝♚ ♛♝♞♖
    Years
    I would say that it was worth it because the Battle Frontier was awesome and also I loved the extended plot with a darker story too.

Back