• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Was the game too easy?

Have the games gotten too easy?

• Too easy

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • A little easier

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Stayed the same..

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Harder

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • I think this game was impossibly easy, it almost felt like they were being condescending to me. I've mentioned this a few times before, but the whole having Gyms set in areas surrounded by Wild Pokemon that have a type advantage against the Gym just made it seem like they were holding my hand. I don't need them to do that.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Easy? Nah, I don't think so. It's more difficult than anything in the past - blame the rapid level progression of Trainers and Pokémon in this game. However, at least you don't have to level grind - you battle a lot more this time around.

FangedFreak

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • I havent played since Yellow, even then it was my cousin's so didnt have massive amounts of gameplay, but from what i can tell it's gotten a little easier, Gym Leaders were definitely alot easier, got through them all just using my emboar and annihilated them all XD

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • The game was really quite easy during the main plot (with tons of experience, overpowered items, very convenient things appearing right before every gym, things like Cobalio, etc.), though the level boom was well present after the story's end, effing things up majorily.

I still have to say these were some of the easiest yet in the series.

Nelauk

shmowzow
    Years
  • It really wasn't so difficult. Like I say, You find that everyone's pokemon level up way faster in this game. by the time you reatch the elite four (Level range in 30-38, correct me if i'm wrong) Then to N and the last fight. Their levels boost dramatically. No wonder we get the lucky egg so easily.
    actually i think the level range would be somewhere in the forties

well, in MY experience, anyway...

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • The Opelucid gym leader is around 40-43, while the Elite four are at 48-50, N's are in the early fifties and Ghetsis' Pokémon are a couple of levels above that.

So there's a gap. But not even close to the gap after that.

I never used my Lucky Egg, though.

Nelauk

shmowzow
    Years
  • The Opelucid gym leader is around 40-43, while the Elite four are at 48-50, N's are in the early fifties and Ghetsis' Pokémon are a couple of levels above that.

So there's a gap. But not even close to the gap after that.

I never used my Lucky Egg, though.
    i'd better start training my team then!

oh and i know this is random, but i like your siggie. :P

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Not really. I actually thought it was harder. Not to mention that recent games will always feel a lot harder than the old ones you used to play when you were, you know, a kid. I remember how long it took me to beat Emerald. :P

Years
  • I've found White the easiest of the games to be quite honest. I wish it was a lot harder, it didnt take me long to finish it the first time I played which was really disspointing.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    N= easy

His father with his perfect natured EV trained 10 lvls above zekrom hydragon?= hard as freaking attempting to catch arceus with a pokeball at full health.

After that battle i was convinced Hydregon was somekind of super legend that you got in an event IT WAS FREAKING INSANE!!!!

Years
  • Wasn't as hard as I expected. Probably because by the time I went to beat N and Ghestis my team was around 60-65. So, yeah....

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I don't think so. Overall, I would say that it had about the same difficulty but there were certain parts I found challenging. Like in Celestial Tower when four Team Magma members battle all in a row- I don't think there was anything like that in the previous games, though I could be wrong.

COMBOY

Pokémon Crimson & Navy
    Years
  • Actually any RPG is easy if you level up enough for the last boss, but the actual factor that makes the difficult is when you have to train with enemies with low level.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It was pretty easy outside of having to take extra time level grinding... at least until the end of the main game with N...

Then comes one of the worst decisions in a Pokemon game... to make all the post game trainers have ridiculously high levels. The difficulty level suddenly shot up from 4 to 11.

Markus1992

Azura
    Years
  • The majority of people seem to be saying the same thing, that it was more difficult when playing Pokemon younger. So... the chances are that these games are still difficult... just to the younger generation. After all, they are Nintendo's target market, aren't they???

Anyways, I haven't played Pokemon Black... waiting until I've finished with Pokemon Soul Silver. Which I have a copy of, just haven't got around to playing it. :/ But, I feel the games have stayed pretty much the same... rather difficult. I think it depends on the types of Pokemon available early in the game.

joacen

Starter Pokemon: Oshawott
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    For me, the Elite Four was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I was able to beat them in just one try.

ceremony

rah rah
    Years
  • It was pretty easy outside of having to take extra time level grinding... at least until the end of the main game with N...

Then comes one of the worst decisions in a Pokemon game... to make all the post game trainers have ridiculously high levels. The difficulty level suddenly shot up from 4 to 11.

I'm the opposite. The extra time of level grinding is difficult when facing wild pokemon. Where do you go to train? I usually go to the route above Black City, or Giant Chasm. Thing is, they only give 1000XP or a little more with the higher level Pokemon. And sometimes you run into Jigglypuff or some other worthless guy that gives you 600 XP. That's annoying, along with boring. I've probably beaten 200 Golducks and 150 Tropilus'.

Right now I'm leveling up my Eelectross, and it's annoying because even when fishing/surfing at the post-game locations, I'd run into either low leveled Pokemon or Pokemon that give 500 XP. Annoying, and once again boring because you run into the same Pokemon all the time.

The high leveled Trainers in Nimbasa City, Black City, Cynthia, and the Gamefreak Guy make training so much easier. I'm actually upset there aren't more of them.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • For me it was too easy. found myself constantly overlevelled by 5-10, sometimes even upto 14 levels above gym leaders after the second gym... maybe I just decided to grind a little bit, but levelling itself was easy also... I didn't have any trouble beating the game until the part where ghetsis bisharp sweeped 3 of my pokes (due to lack of fighting type pokemon/moves... that was a poor mistake on my part >.>)... My difficulty rating: 2/10.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I wasted my masterball on Zekrom T.T and I guess I don't know how to answer this. I don't think i'm finished with the game until my Trainer card is fully upgraded. Including filling out the national pokedex.

I'm done with the story, but not done with the game. the Story was easy enough, I just wish there were more strong daily trainers then Cheren everyday, Bianca on the weekends, and Cynthia in the spring. The Ones in the two domes in Nimbasa, just get mowed down too easily. I need like 5-10 rivals all like Cynthia to make me satisfied :(

I wish the Battle subway actually granted xp. -sigh-

Do you battle Morimoto every day?

He's like Cynthia with level 70 pokemon

he's at the Game Freak building

I grinded like mad and had level 50s before the fifth gym, so it was easy for me

Back