• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Was the musical a good idea??

Years
  • NO.
    It was very bad, and all you gotta do is dress em' up then watch.
    You have to wait the spotlight to point at you then touch the item your Pokemon is holding.
    Hoenn and Sinnoh Contests were better.

Cyndaquil312

It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.
    Years
  • honestly, Haven't even wasted my time... I mean tried the musicals. it just seems so... pointless.

RSE contests were my favorite, I kinda wanted to see it more similar to the Anime... show off moves then battle.

DPPt contests were a strech for me, the dancing, "dress up", it loss some of the appeal for me, it was too much work.

Years
  • I havent tried it yet. But I cant say I liked any of these contests so far ><
    But the R/S/E ones seemed the most entertaining so far. x.x

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • The only time I walked into the Musical Hall was part of the main story line. I really have no desire what so ever to take part in one. I could see were they were coming from though since they didn't want to add more to Contests and probably thought if they added on again then it would be stale after awhile. They probably could have found something better, but it is what it is. At least they have Battle Subway.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think they were a good idea tbh. A badly executed, but good idea. Really, with the same comments over and over about "your show was elegant" or something along those lines, and limited actions to perform within the musicals, it leaves little to be desired. Overall though, I do find dressing up the Pokemon amusing, which is the main thing the musicals have going for them. If they allowed more player participation in the musicals, along with a larger variety of props and actual comments upon the "performance" then they'd be much more successful. :x

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I only participate in them just so I can get contest items in order to max out my trainer card (since you need to get all 100 items). Its taking forever to get the 100 items. I wish there were more to the contest such as dancing and using your moves. The contest didnt really appeal to me that much.

:t354:TG

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Even though the basic idea is an interesting one. It's executed with very little substance. Play one musical and there isn't much need to come back for more.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Good idea, but it was horribly executed as Nica mentioned earlier. I don't even bother wasting my time with it, because there's little to do other than dress your Pokémon up and see them dance. Contests were far more superior, and while I've always favored the third generation contests as the best, I'd happily take the Super Contests over this to be honest.

I still await the day when they can make Pokémon Contests more like the anime and Wi-Fi compatible so you can compete with your friends around the world.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I agree with it being a good idea. No one's yet mentioned why they're there - the Musicals are another New York reference, to Broadway. So having contests back in their place would really make very little sense, tbh. The idea of adding in a nod to Broadway in the form of a musical that Pokemon can participate in is a good one, however a lot could have been changed about it, mainly to make it more immersive and musical-like:

-Have ranks and such that you can move up in, such as "Audition only", "Chorus", "Second String", and "Lead".
    -Allow more choreography. Give the Pokemon different moves they can perform by pressing buttons, and make it more a rhythm game. They have to jump at the same time, spin at the same time, etc, to make the cut.
    -Make the Musical itself something more than a song. Put a cute acting script in there, where you have to pick the lines that fit best to make the cut or something similar.

So yeah. The Musical itself is a good idea, but needs improvement.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • I could reflect the statements of the users saying that it is a good idea, but I'm too lazy.

What I'd like would be to have the ability to retain the dress-up of the musical into battle though. The animation shown at the musicals show that there's clearly some glue to those objects as they stick to the pokemon, we've got those seals back in gen 4 that shows that unique effects can indeed be added to battle, and hell I'd love to actually use the move Fling now if it means that suddenly my Throh throws off his gloves in battle to show just how mad he is at the opponent :x

Really, that'd be great. Top hats and canes for everyone!

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well, it doesn't really bother me. But I also never really do them. I guess it's nice to have them if your bored. But honestly, your just watching your Pokémon dance. xD

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2012
    It's awful! I wish they just let you dress it up, have the audience vote for the one they like, and then go to the ATTACK APPEALS! Ruby and Sapphire was by far the best contest format.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • To be honest I didn't even care about the musicals and I just forgot about it after the main storyline. I fail to see how they're important, but as many of you said, I think it could've been a good feature if it was implemented well.

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • NO.
    It was very bad, and all you gotta do is dress em' up then watch.
    You have to wait the spotlight to point at you then touch the item your Pokemon is holding.
    Hoenn and Sinnoh Contests were better.

They aren't that bad even though i'm a girl but I think they should have put something else for what boys would like more in the games.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I would consider the musical the greatest waste of time ever put into the series, especially considering that I actually really enjoyed the contests and miss them dearly. I mean, unlike the contests, there's absolutely no strategy in them and there's only something really vaguely about winning with them. In addition I don't like the fact that the props just "cling on" to the Pokemon this time around, it makes it far less fun dressing up your Pokemon because you can't put little stones or furballs or leaves in places to make your Pokemon look cool or funny.

Years
  • I really don't like the fact that ribbons don't exist in Unova anymore, so you can't get any kind of reward for putting up with this Musical nonsense besides a little picture that only you can see. My Pokemon deserve better.

Years
    • VA
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    I think they were a good idea tbh. A badly executed, but good idea. Really, with the same comments over and over about "your show was elegant" or something along those lines, and limited actions to perform within the musicals, it leaves little to be desired. Overall though, I do find dressing up the Pokemon amusing, which is the main thing the musicals have going for them. If they allowed more player participation in the musicals, along with a larger variety of props and actual comments upon the "performance" then they'd be much more successful. :x

I agree. I think it was a good idea, but the options are so limited you can't really do anything other than dress up your Pokemon and use a handheld prop once. If you got actual comments and maybe some exclusive props or something like that, it would be better.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
  • Since there are no in-game rewards for participating in the musicals, and they have no real activity, they're just a waste of time. At first, I had thought your Pokemon might actually do some acting, directed by the stylus as in the Pokeathlon perhaps, which would be interesting. Unfortunately, that wasn't part of the package, and musicals were limited to dressing up your Pokemon, then watching them onstage, which was boring and long, if you ask me.

Even the "dressing your Pokemon" routine wasn't as good as D/P and Platinum, since accessories were limited to just certain areas. You also couldn't add more than one in each area, and you could create ridiculous costumes without being penalised, though that may also be a good thing.

The whole thing was mildly amusing, but it was a huge disappointment after the contests and Pokeathlon, both of which were actually fun, and there were real rewards for participating.

Back