• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Was the name change needed? (Isshu > Unova)

Isshu or Unova?

• Total voters
Years
  • I love the name Unova. It comes from USA (being based on America) and Nova (meaning new, referring to Black & White's "restarting" of the Pokemon Series). Isshu (the Japanese name) just doesn't have a ring to it.

I watched the BW anime and I found that Unova is pronounced "You-No-Va"

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Unova has isshus.

Spoiler:

I personally like Isshu better, though.

Hikari10 said:
    I watched the BW anime and I found that Unova is pronounced "You-No-Va"

If that wasn't obvious enough of a pronunciation, following English grammar, than I will facepalmz.

Years
  • Probably not, I actually prefer the name Isshu to Unova. I haven't got a real reason for this, it just sounds like a better name, I'm not really a fan of the name Unova.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • I don't think the change was necessary. Though as I like patterns, with the name Unova keeps all regions with the letter O.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    I personally don't care what the name is... though i am mad that all my puns are pretty much dead now...... (i mean really, uknowva, what's the big isshu?)

Last edited:

Air Pichu

We're Safe and Sound~
    Years
  • At first I liked the idea of the name of Isshu, but until I heard about the new region being Unova, I liked Unova more, and now I think of Isshu as to being like "this region has many issues with it".

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    I like Unova better actually. Not the pronouciation I've heard on TV though (Uno [like the card game]-va), I say Oo-nova. Or Yew-nova. Whatever.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I voted yes. Well it wasn't needed, but I like the new name.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I actually preferred Isshu, but over time I got to like Unova, then I heard the pronunciation for Unova and went of the name completely and went back to Isshu, then actually heard the pronunciation on the Anime and went back to it :3 Madness, sheer madness. :D

hausofarmond

Mons†er ∇
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I personally prefer Unova, because when I read Isshu in my head I say "Issue" :P

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Yes, because people saying "Do you have an Isshu with Isshu?" despite the fact that Isshu is not pronounced like "issue" really annoyed me.

Last edited:

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I voted Neutral. I don't really care now if it w as changed or not, I love both names. I would be happy if it were still Isshu but Unova sounds really cool.

Advertisements on TV keep calling it Un-a-Va though @_@

Back