• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wat do you think needs to be improved across Pokemon Games?

Gigabeat

Professionals and all.
Years
  • The title says it all. Pokemon is definetly fun and saying that it's a success would be an understatement, but as always no games are perfect and there's always some area for improvement. So, what change in the game would make you really happy? Difficulty level, more Pokemon or more interactions? There's a lot more though. Post your thoughts below!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd like it if they'd improved NPC behavior. For example, each time you speak to someone, they'd be saying different phrases instead of the same. This would definitely make games seem less... robotic, I suppose. d:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Here is a short list of things:
    - More than one save file, please Nintendo!
    - More side quests besides the main story
    - And most important: An original story. Im not saying do something completely different like in Colosseum/XD, but something different than 1) Get 8 Badges, 2) Stop Villain Team and 3) Beat the League. Just add a plot twist or something in there please

Gigabeat

Professionals and all.
    Years
  • I'd like it if they'd improved NPC behavior. For example, each time you speak to someone, they'd be saying different phrases instead of the same. This would definitely make games seem less... robotic, I suppose. d:

Yep, definetly, but I don't think they'll be able to do that for all NPCs. Some of them give directions and stuff, but that's just a handful. It would certainly make the game feel more real.

Two words, Save Files,
    They need more!!!!

That's true, but it might have something to do with the cartridge space that prevents them from doing so.

Here is a short list of things:
    - More than one save file, please Nintendo!
    - More side quests besides the main story
    - And most important: An original story. Im not saying do something completely different like in Colosseum/XD, but something different than 1) Get 8 Badges, 2) Stop Villain Team and 3) Beat the League. Just add a plot twist or something in there please

The save file thing seems to pop out a lot. :p Honestly I would really want another one too, but I don't know if Nitendo is afraid of exploits coming up or because of space and limitations. Adequate quests would definetly be cool, most RPGs have them anyway. The medicine for Amphy in Olivine was an example, but they need more. The killer one. It seems that Nitendo wants to cater more to kids, and keep the gameplay simple and all, but a better story (if they ever have one) would certainly be something. An alternative option would be for a longer post-league adventure. Like maybe two regions like they did with HGSS.

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    What's to improve on all pokemon games:
    1. Another save spot; because I want to start over with another starter, team and strategy and I don't want to reset my previous progress nor deleting my save just because limited to 1 save. Sure, people use flashcart to make dup of their save. But WHAT FOR PETE SAKE! PEOPLE WHO BUYS LEGIT GAMES and they want to test ABOVE things that I said. Gamefreak seriously need to add another space spot.
    2. More story related; I love stories.
    3. From Gen III towards this year's gen. It's all about (beat gym leader -> badge block* -> defeat <insert team name here>> -> GET LEGGIES** -> Pokemon league. Maybe we reorder these event (Get 8 badges -> Pokemon league, then beat villainous team and claim the mascot legend and other legend that hooked with the storyline)
    4. New pokemon is fine, but more unique type if you mind.
    5. NPC needs randomize speech and not just tape recorder that repeats anything.
    * In platinum, you must stop team galatic, catch/defeat giratina, finally progress to get the last gym badge
    ** Depends on game you're playing e.g. Platinum

Gigabeat

Professionals and all.
    Years
  • What's to improve on all pokemon games:
    1. Another save spot; because I want to start over with another starter, team and strategy and I don't want to reset my previous progress nor deleting my save just because limited to 1 save. Sure, people use flashcart to make dup of their save. But WHAT FOR PETE SAKE! PEOPLE WHO BUYS LEGIT GAMES and they want to test ABOVE things that I said. Gamefreak seriously need to add another space spot.
    2. More story related; I love stories.
    3. From Gen III towards this year's gen. It's all about (beat gym leader -> badge block* -> defeat <insert team name here>> -> GET LEGGIES** -> Pokemon league. Maybe we reorder these event (Get 8 badges -> Pokemon league, then beat villainous team and claim the mascot legend and other legend that hooked with the storyline)
    4. New pokemon is fine, but more unique type if you mind.
    5. NPC needs randomize speech and not just tape recorder that repeats anything.
    * In platinum, you must stop team galatic, catch/defeat giratina, finally progress to get the last gym badge
    ** Depends on game you're playing e.g. Platinum

Apart from the issues I've replied or attempted to reply to, more Pokemon would definetly be welcome. They are constantly adding new Pokemon though, and also adding an extra Fairy Type in X and Y, so I think they haven't started to run out of ideas yet. However remakes would be pretty awsome, maybe of RSE or RGB.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Don't see other save spots coming out sadly. Another reason may well be it'd diminish the allure of trading stuff if you can just switch save files and trade between another game to get what you want in the same place. Not that it's a very strong reason, and I certainly would love another one. One for a proper play, one for challenge runs.

I would appreciate it if they didn't keep dropping neat aspects from previous games/gens every so often. Sure, they do have two teams working on the games apparently and some stuff will get dropped due to lack of time, but... say the lack of Pokémon following you or need to hold the B button in 5th gen was annoying. And B2W2's Pokédex was way more useful than in X&Y because of the new features it had. =(

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    1) More consistency with post-game content. Some have had great post-games (HG/SS, Black2/White2), while some have been lacking (R/S/E, X/Y). Game Freak, why can't you do this?
    2) A more mature story. Or at least a better one. Game Freak, I don't care how many 8 year olds play Pokémon; a large part of Pokémon's fanbase is people in their late teens~early 20's (and older). We want more outta the story.
    3) A Battle Subway/Maison that is difficult without resorting to cheap ♥♥♥♥ like team-analyzing or hax.
    4) More catchable legendaries, in-game. I'd very much like to catch a Manaphy or Genesect in-game without need for an event/event item.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aiden Blue

Cincinnati's Trainer
    Years
  • I honestly just hope they would pursue the DLC aspect of video games. They've mentioned that they have been pondering the idea. So maybe we can get a DLC Campaign Chapter(s)? Maybe even an add on island with new Pokemon? I'd also like if they would bring back Competitions to earn Ribbons for our Pokemon again. I'd also like it if they let you re-challenge Gym Leaders at @ lvl 100. That would be an interesting challenge.

I just wish there was more we could do with our Pokemon. Like mini games and what not. Thats me just being me (I grew up on 1st gen PKMN, and PKMN Stadium.... MINI GAMES).

Years
  • I was kind of thinking story, at least initially.. but I've taken a step back from that train of thought. Mostly because I don't think anyone has ever taken the story aspect of pokemon as a reason to buy the game.. which is probably why the story line is kind of retarded and half thought out.

A lot less invisible walls would be nice.. like the freedom to explore the region with very little keeping you from going places you shouldn't be.. maybe keeping the really hard stuff out of reach till you have waterfall or something.. reward the player for exploring and such is kind of the whole point of Pokemon, and I feel that aspect has been greatly overlooked. Black and White, even Ruby Sapphire were kind of irritating in the sense that you couldn't really use any pokemon you like, just what they decide they give you at the time. An example is like using Vanillish as your main Ice type when you'd much rather have something like a Lapras.. which is completely locked out for no real reason other than maybe not beating the elite four yet. It makes no sense. Yeah, maybe you need to work hard to get to it.. but at least make it possible without beating the entire game first, you know?

With this in mind, maybe the player can decide what gyms to tackle.. and maybe the gym leaders change depending on how many badges you have.. maybe Gym Leaders swap out with older Gen ones as guests every now and again just to keep it interesting.

Last edited:

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • NPCs that get progressively more intelligent (in addition to just having higher leveled Pokemon) as you progress through the plot would be nice. I think that would make it more challenging and feel less like fighting a punching bag after a certain point. Also, being able to go back to a route and fight trainers that have gotten stronger since you last battled them (basically the return of the Vs Seeker or something. I have no idea why they got rid of that). It would tie in nicely with the increased intelligence and make level grinding in post-story mode way less tedious.

That would probably be really difficult to code, though.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
    Years
  • I am just going to say the obvious thing... story.

But, also, difficulty. I mean, I remember while I played earlier Gens I actually had trouble with the Elite Four and late Gyms. I beat the E4 in X/Y without using any items or losing a Pokemon. And I didn't grind.

Maybe it's just because I am getting better, but I honestly doubt it. I remember seeing my Rival and saying "Shoot! Hope I don't lose!" (I am exaggerating a little, but you get the point).

Also miss contests too. It would be sweet if they upgraded contests to the point where it was like challenging Gyms. So, you could choose to be a Trainer or Coordinator (or both) and still have the same gameplay value. Of course, you would still have to do the Gyms as a coordinator, though.

And lastly, another thing that pertains to difficulty. The folks at Game Freak should recognize Nuzlockes and challenges of the sort. It would be really sweet if you had options like how many deaths your Pokemon are allowed before they are auto-released, or how many Pokemon you can have in your PC, or things like that when you created a new save file. Or simply a "Nuzlocke Mode".

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I guess I'm going to be the first and only one to say this, but I don't think there needs to be any improvements in my view. I've never really had a problem with the story, an extra save file isn't needed, the difficulty is fine and there is always something to do.

Pokegirl1116

✿♬゚+.(。◡‿◡) ♪.+゚♬✿。
    Years
  • I really hope they bring back the options like in BW2 where the game can be in challenge mode or easy mode. So veteran players can have more of a challenge and fun, instead of finishing the game quickly. And newbie players who have a hard time completing the regular mode can make it less.

An extra save file would be a nice improvement, but it's not all that necessary. And they might make more money if people go out and buy the other version for a challenge run instead deleting the save file on the version they already have, right? So they most likely won't be thinking of adding that option.

And finally, a different plot, rather than a protagonist setting out on a journey to get all of the gym badges and go to Elite Four, fight an evil team, and having friends/rivals battle you throughout the journey, etc. It's been like this since gen 1, a different one would be REALLY nice. Otherwise the same plot all the time will get stale and old. :P

Years
  • What needs to be improved? Game Freak's habit of dropping good features from games and replacing them with inferior versions of themselves, like the Battle Frontier from Platinum was replaced with the Battle Subway in B/W which in turn was replaced with the Battle Maison in X/Y. I just liked some of the unique rooms in the Platinum facility, like rental battles, Battle Pyramid etc. Now it's just boring single/double/triple battles. Move tutors are another example of this. I really hope they put some of the B2W2 tutors in Z or X2/Y2. They just added another layer of customisation to your Pokemon that's inexplicably missing from X/Y. And what happened to walking Pokemon from HG/SS? A lot of people really liked that IIRC and yet they took it out.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Move tutors are another example of this. I really hope they put some of the B2W2 tutors in Z or X2/Y2. They just added another layer of customisation to your Pokemon that's inexplicably missing from X/Y.

I think it's a staple of deluxe versions like Emerald and Black 2 that they add the move tutors in then instead of in the first games of the generation. I don't know why they do that, but that's apparently how they choose to. So I mean, it's fair to say we'll see move tutors in the next game, but I wish they'd just put them in the first pair of the generation. I don't see why they don't.

Anyway, did they ever fix that problem that you have to have an empty slot in your party to get a gift Pokemon? Cause if not, fix THAT. The one generation it was right, oddly enough, was the first. Strange. But if RBY got it right, why not later games? Come on, now.

Happy they brought back L = A though. SO. HAPPY.

Tek

Years
  • I would like to have another way to hatch eggs. It gets really old riding from one end of Goldenrod City to the other, over, and over, and over......

Something I'm surprised no one's mentioned: random battles (tall grass, caves, surfing). The RPG genre as we know it is like 30 years old and yet we still have this absurdly time-consuming and repetitive mechanic. I just don't get it.

It's easier for the programmers, sure, and way back when any alternatives would probably have used too many resources. But srsly, retire it. It's not fun anymore. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here but it's frustrating.

In the monster RPG I'm creating, enemy critters are visible on-screen. You can choose to battle them, shoot them with a slingshot, or avoid them entirely. For purposes of leveling up I will probably include random-battle areas that the player can choose to utilize. And my code is not so resource-heavy that this couldn't be done in Pokemon. My computer barely runs a DS emulator but has no trouble running my game.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Something I'm surprised no one's mentioned: random battles (tall grass, caves, surfing). The RPG genre as we know it is like 30 years old and yet we still have this absurdly time-consuming and repetitive mechanic. I just don't get it.

It's easier for the programmers, sure, and way back when any alternatives would probably have used too many resources. But srsly, retire it. It's not fun anymore. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here but it's frustrating.

In the monster RPG I'm creating, enemy critters are visible on-screen. You can choose to battle them, shoot them with a slingshot, or avoid them entirely. For purposes of leveling up I will probably include random-battle areas that the player can choose to utilize. And my code is not so resource-heavy that this couldn't be done in Pokemon. My computer barely runs a DS emulator but has no trouble running my game.

Not all RPGs utilize random battles. Actually, the part I bolded has already been done in the Tales series. Monsters are visible on screen, you can avoid them, and you can stun them/shoot them not with a slingshot, but with a little ball of fire (except in Xillia, for some strange reason).

Bravely Default also allows you to change the random encounter rate from -100% to +100%.

But I hear ya, in games where its not like that, random battles can be kinda annoying.

Years
  • My three year old actually brought this up and it's also my only real complaint. Why in the frickin heck do they have pokemon cries in the game and they say their name in the anime. Get it consistent game freak. At least they did right with pikachu. My kids favorite is scraggy and he got downright pissed when he heard the inaudible prattle that came out from the dex entry.

Back