• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weak Minds

Years
  • Normally I wouldn't post things like this, but this is kinda bothersome to me. So alas, I'll talk about it.

Its come to my attention that some kids in my school and beyond have something I like to call a weak mind. They can't follow complex instructions, barely simple ones, the way they dress is a mess, etc. It's like their minds fell apart.

So I'm just wondering, what is it with teenagers and kids these days? Because when I was like 7 or so I remember the world being not as disgusting, because back then kids weren't horribly obese. So here I am, trying to figure it all out, and I still can't, but I have a theory that something mentally changed with kids and teens, cause being obese isn't a very smart choice. I mean, even your body starts to give warning signs about it.

So I'm just wondering, what happened to teens and kids these days? :/

Years
  • It's a by-product of our Lazy, entitled, 'big business' culture these days. We put too much stock into technology and we don't value education as much as we used too. We don't exercise, (partially because state governments cut recess and P.E.) and we eat disgusting, processed foods.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    one big difference between myself and the kids of today is that i played outside. the activities most kids engage in today are rather lazy (video gaming, internet browsing, the likes) and i think they contribute to the development of a lazy individual. i don't think kids are actually "dumber" than they used to be, i think this generalization is just a byproduct of lenient guidance, a society with access to technology, and media influence (it's suddenly 'c00l' to wear your hat to the side with an oversized shirt and pants that are falling past your butt and unclearly/incompletely pronounce your words because your favorite rapper does it- that sort of thing).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • It's a by-product of our Lazy, entitled, 'big business' culture these days. We put too much stock into technology and we don't value education as much as we used too. We don't exercise, (partially because state governments cut recess and P.E.) and we eat disgusting, processed foods.
    You are so right, sadly every time we try to grow our economy up in a spike we lose something, during the Indrustial revolution there was horrible pollution (there is still pollution left but this was more extreme back then in America) and human rights were violated, now kids are feed process foods as their parent's can't take the time to make them a decent meal...or teach them morals.

Pumpkin Fields

King of Carrot Flowers
    Years
  • I think people are very apathetic these days. At least that's what I noticed around my area. Nobody dresses well because they don't care about anything, there's no reason to learn about anything because none of it's interesting. Most people like to party, eat and sleep, anything else is boring and they know they can avoid it if they want to.

Zet

Years
  • I blame ipods, ever since people starting thinking they were good it's been the downfall of humanity and the ability to think. Back when I was 7, obesity was still a problem in the world, except people didn't really care about it back then.

I think they only have trouble because they listen to their mp3 player all day in class instead of doing work.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    I think it's because people have everything handed to them nowadays. Like they don't care about their grades because the teacher will just make the work easier for them if a lot of people fail, they don't care about wearing something that they shouldn't because "what's the worst they could do, make me call my mother?" And then when they get older, they still have things handed to them, like there are a lot of people who don't even try to get a job, and live off of all the money the government gives them for being unemployed. In my opinion, our economy was good because it encouraged people to succeed, but with this kind of stuff going on people think there's no reason to work hard and get a good job, because they can slack off and get enough money by doing absolutely nothing. Which starts when they're teenagers, because they see this example set by their parents or by other adults and think it's good.

Oh, and I think the whole obesity thing is a product of laziness, because people just can't be bothered to cook anymore. Which I guess sort of fits in with what I said before. Doing less work and still getting almost equal results. Like buying fast food instead of cooking a meal, you still get fed, but one has long term benefits and one has long term... not-benefits. (Can't think of the word at the moment.)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think that the cause of weak minds in kids/teenagers is because of either laziness, and/or them not caring about anything around them. That's just my opinion, though.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
  • yeah I have a weak mind, and I seem to be a lot older than most people in this thread atm, I think weak minds have been around for a long time, actually ever since I got my sega megadrive back when I was like 5 or something I've become lazy and CBF, don't care about anything blah blah. I think Weak mind have existed for a while...they're just more prominent now!

Years
  • it's suddenly 'c00l' to wear your pants that are falling past your butt
    Hey =/ I resent that.

But other than that, I agree with most of poopnoodle's post. Technology plays a big part in why teens are the way the are now. Gaming provides a safe haven for teenagers who want to experience what they're playing, but don't want to leave their air-conditioned room and get their hands dirty. That being said, I've never understood the appeal of games like NBA Live, or Tiger Woods Golf, or Winning Eleven, when sports so easily accessible if the gamers would just go outside. I think people build dedication by doing something that is substantial, like having a skill, rather than something immaterial, like having a high score in a video game, which might be another reason why kids these days are so weak-minded, because they've never really put their mind to anything.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I think people are very apathetic these days. At least that's what I noticed around my area. Nobody dresses well because they don't care about anything, there's no reason to learn about anything because none of it's interesting. Most people like to party, eat and sleep, anything else is boring and they know they can avoid it if they want to.

I think it is exactly that. People just don't care. There is really nothing to work for anymore and seeing as they have had everything handed to them school is just a little bit too much trouble for them. They were forced to do that stuff all their life and they just don't really wanna do it anymore.

I see more kids having kids, breaking up and living alone and hating their lives more than anything around where I live... The thought makes me shudder. I think people are just becoming more and more stupid with age.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think intelligence is any worse than what it used to be. It's just more noticeable now because of a few reasons: the increased population, we live in a more connected world (100 years ago people only knew others in their local area, now people have friends all over the world), the media (including video games), almost every aspect of the typical 21st century lifestyle has an impact, but I don't think it's made humanity stupider it's just changed behaviour. Plus the expected intelligence of people these days; up until the mid 20th century most people were content being part of the working class, mainly consisting of men taking part in manual labour, whilst the women were housekeepers.

These days everyone aims for a middle class job and are expected to have a higher standard of education, a higher understanding of society, pressure from parents and society itself, and some people just can't seem to reach that level of intelligence. As a lot of people fail to reach that level, we've got that "lower intelligence" group which in turn support each other and encourage a certain lifestyle which only furthers their descent into this mindset. I'd say most teenagers listen to their friends before they listen to what parents or teachers tell them, if indeed they even have parents that are discouraging any stupid form of behaviour, and a lot of parents don't, in fact many encourage it.

I think it is mainly to do with upbringing though, which can largely depend on social class. I'll be bold and say the majority of the working class are of a lower intelligence than those in the upper class, due to the vast difference in upbringing. Not to say everyone in the working class is stupid (I'm from a working class family myself) it just seems that that's the trend. Stupid parents tend to create stupid children.

Of course there's a lot of deviation, smart people with stupid friends, stupid kids with smart parents, stupid people from the upper class, smart people from the working class, etc. There's no definitive cause of the behaviour, only trends that we can notice and try to pinpoint the main reasons of this type of behaviour. But you'd probably need to understand sociology and psychology to quite an extent to really understand it. Seeing as there are so many influences on people in the 21st century, as well as biological and mental causes of behaviour.

tl;dr? I think just the behaviour of those with lower intelligence has changed, I don't think the intelligence of humanity itself is decreasing.

Stratos99

Banned
    Years
  • Weak mind = weight problems, technological improvements, clothing choices? 'Weak mind' seems like the wrong term, this is just the 21st century in general. Going past that generalization, although it's a correct generalization for the majority, people who are obese generally aren't the fat kid who won't stop eating. There's a plethora of biological and genetic traits that could contribute to their issue, other than their having a 'weak mind'. The clothing one especially stands out to me though. Everybody has different tastes, some radical, some not so radical. I consider mine to be on the lower end of the spectrum, only wearing plain shirts with a pair of jeans, maybe a sweater during the winter. On the opposite end of the spectrum you might find a gangsta with his jeans falling off, a shirt three sizes too big and a gold tooth. That's the aforementioned 21st century coming into play, people as a whole tend to go with the flow and if all the 'wicked cool artists' are doing it they won't hesitate to do it. And, as 'weak minded' as that may appear to be, they probably fit in with society a lot better than the people calling them 'weak minded'. I say you should worry about yourself more than you're worrying about the 'weak minded' individuals around you.

Last edited:
    Back