• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

weather related moves, yay or nay?

Weather related moves?

• yay

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • nay

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
  • I don't really like using weather moves because it waste's a turn. I prefer using Politoed, Ninetales, Hippowdon, Tyranitar and Abomasnow for setting up weather. :3c That's just for competitive though. I don't really use weather in-game. Seems kinda pointless IMO. Weather moves like Solarbeam etc I don't like using either.

SapphireWill

Pokemon Hacker I Am.
    Years
  • I only rarely use it when I am starting with a pokemon ex.rapidash,who knows both sunny day and solarbeam.In the first turn i use solarbeam and then,when i am in trouble,i use it as a trump card for an immediate solarbeam on the opponent's butt.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm leaning towards nay for this one because I don't see the point of hail or sandstorm when you have Abomasnow, Tyranitar or Hippowdon set it up for you. But I guess Rain Dance or Sunny Day could be useful if you don't have access to Drizzletoed or Droughtales.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I hate other trainers (in-game) who use weather. It's really annoying, especially someone like Lorelei in the Hoenn E4 always uses Hail. And I never use Ice-types. It also wastes a lot of time. I don't ever use weather moves, unless the Pokemon has the ability to automatically summon it, like Tyranitar.

Competitively, I don't really use them either. Just a hassle.

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 5, 2011
    Sometimes I use Hail+Blizzard combo/Rain Dance + Thunder combo,but ...
    that's it,not much of a fan though. The turn wasted to Sunny Day could have been used for charging Solar Beam ...

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I love Weather. Although I mainly depend on my Politoed for weather set up. I still can't hate on the Weather moves. The bonuses they provide are still awesome, plus I have a Sunny Day/Trick Room team that utilizes the advantages of Sunny Day quite efficiently. So I'm happy with Weather Moves.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Nay. I'm too lazy to come up with things like 'strategies' and hate wasting a turn on something beneficial like a weather-move when I could be attacking. I'd fail at real competitive battling, but it works a treat in game!

thefacelessone64

PokeBaller
    Years
  • i only use water dance for my ampharos's thunder, other than that i don't ever use it. solarbeam is too weak of an attack, as most pokemon aren't super affected by grass, and i've never even been interested enough in a grass pokemon to ev sp attack. i hate weather inducing pokemon, cuz it makes the battle last even longer and i have to wait for a stupid message before i can attack. also, i HATE castform. i originally thought he was a cool idea, but after using it alot i realize that he just sucks. if he could learn maybe 5 moves he would be great, but he cant. you know why? because he isn't special. /endrant/

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    i only use water dance for my ampharos's thunder, other than that i don't ever use it. solarbeam is too weak of an attack, as most pokemon aren't super affected by grass, and i've never even been interested enough in a grass pokemon to ev sp attack. i hate weather inducing pokemon, cuz it makes the battle last even longer and i have to wait for a stupid message before i can attack. also, i HATE castform. i originally thought he was a cool idea, but after using it alot i realize that he just sucks. if he could learn maybe 5 moves he would be great, but he cant. you know why? because he isn't special. /endrant/

Whoa, whoa... Easy there. First of all Weather moves are awesome. Plus Weather is not the only abilities that bring up text before a battle starts, what about Intimidate, Moxie, Speed Boost, or Moody as examples? Just because you're hasty doesn't mean we need to get rid of them, I like the reminders so that I can know what I'm up against in a battle.

Also, don't hate on Castform. He is awesome. I recently designed one for competitive purposes and I thought he was going to be the weakest of the bunch but he turned out to be quite the deceiving little powerhouse.
    The secret to running a powerful Castform is you have to be strict, yes it is cool that Castform has four different forms but you can't utilize all of his forms.
    I focused on a Fire Castform.
    His moves are:
    Sunny Day
    Flamethrower
    Solar Beam
    Scald
    This so far has been the meanest nastiest Castform I've ever built and is sometimes impossible to kill. He keeps Flamethrower as his stab move and the other two moves are for weakness covering. Also his forecast ability easily punishes anybody who runs a Drizzle team or a Drought team. Focused him on Special Attack and Speed IV's/EV's.
    So don't say bad things about Castform, because when built right he is a nasty little monster.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
  • I love the concept of weather-related moves, but I never use them since I'm more of an in-game offense-heavy type of person. I like using "regular" moves all of the time.

Back