• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week Four: Hardcore Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I feel the stereotypical weaboo is an unfortunate stereotype that unfortunately does apply to a few people within the anime fandom. Yes, they are out there, but it depends on where you look. Fortunately, most people know how to behave in public, so you rarely see such behavior at smaller conventions (larger conventions, too, but the likelihood is higher due to event size).

I generally don't care if people know I watch anime, but I don't openly advertise it. I generally describe it as Japanese cartoons or "watching cartoons not targeted at my age group from a country that I don't live in that is in a language that I can neither read nor speak" when describing my hobbies. If people are going to shun me for it, I didn't want to associate with them anyway, but most people don't care or know enough to be weirded out or grossed out or even give me crap for it. And the others I know are all at least casual fans.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Weeaboo
    1. A person so obsessed with japanese culture that they ignore their own.
    2. Someone obsessed beyond healthy levels with anime.
    3. People who ruin activities for other people with overzealous references to said anime.
    4. People so oblivious to reality they only care about anime.
    5. An action worthy of getting one's ass beaten.

I mean, the stereotype is all of those things, I'm not asking about just one aspect about it lol :(
    Oh, okay thanks for clarifying this.

It's a bit harder for me to add something because I don't know anyone who would fall into this category... Well, not like I know people =D
    But I would like to add something to point one.
    Japanese culture is very interesting so it makes sense to be interested in it IF your culture is inferior to it.
    I wouldn't consider someone weeaboo just because of that.
    If they idealize the Japanese culture, that is something else.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Okay so I couldn't find the exact video, but:

And then funnily enough I came across this little article:

Man Brings Waifu to Own Wedding, Bride Retaliates
    a8ddfttcyaadnnd.jpg

Japanese men hold their virtual girlfriends in high regard. Even among those who eventually find a real girlfriend and get married, there are some men who struggle to abandon their digital partner.

Especially after the release of Love Plus, an addictive open-ended dating simulator for the Nintendo DS that went on to sell over 250,000 copies in Japan, stories of men who were busted by their girlfriends or wives while playing—as well as stories of men whose wives played with them—became a common sight on the internet.

While everyone has their own level of tolerance for 2D infidelity, you'd have to be one hell of a woman to allow you husband to bring his virtual girlfriend to your most important day as a couple: your wedding.

Such a woman does exist, much to the surprise of other wedding guests, who uploaded photos of the groom's virtual girlfriend, Nene Anegasaki of Love Plus, while she was "seated" at her specially reserved spot at a table during the reception— alongside Manaka Takane and Rinko Kobayakawa of the same game, nonetheless!

a8dbqd4ciaaz8vo.jpg
    a8dbfptccaafzrt.jpg
    a8da_qhcqaehwt0.jpg

It's safe to say the bride knew what she was getting into: her husband works as staff for Comic Market, Japan's largest comic book convention. But surely she must have been caught off guard when, while planning their wedding, her husband-to-be told her he wanted to save three seats for fictional attendees, one of whom he has a romantic relationship with.

So why'd she allow it? Is she really that magnanimous of a woman, or was there something else at work?

Undoubtedly the latter, as the poor groom would find out during the reception, which was held Novemeber 24.

a8dfkuscaaagiko.jpg

In a surprise event that seems to mock the traditional cake-cutting ceremony, the groom's Love Plus game cartridge was removed from his 3DS console and placed neatly above a…let's call it a "sacrificial altar." A large wooden mallet (the same kind used for making mochi) was then brought out and it was announced that the bride and groom would, hand in hand, physically destroy the game cartridge and all vestiges of the groom's time together with Nene Anegasaki along with it.

According to an eyewitness, the groom was on the verge of tears as he brought the hammer down, and is planning on calling Love Plus developer Konami to see if "jealous wife" is covered in the warranty.

You go bride! Love Plus seems to be a lot behind some of the men being able to date and marry their waifu. It's kinda scary and crazy.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Well, go back about 12 years, and my friends and me were the ones wearing the Naruto headbands. Though, that lasted a small chunk of time, and we grew out of it. Safe to say that everyone that knows me knows that I like anime, and they always have. That's essentially how I meet most of my friends. Coincidentally, when we first met we all only like a small number of series, and we've gotten into more of them over time through recommending series to one another.

I've also made a few friends out of my coworkers, through them having keychains and shirts and things that grabbed my attention. lol

As far as weaboos go.. idk, people really interest me in general. The fact that someone could be that into something, like marrying a waifu, etc, it's interesting to me, and I'd like to sit down and talk to them. xD I'm not gonna knock them, because people enjoy what they enjoy, even if some of them go a more extreme intent. I'm not gonna sit around and judge them.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Female ✓
    Asian ✓
    Short/tiny ✓ (5'2 in comparison to his 6-6'1)
    Likes anime and video games ✓
    ____
    = Idealized loli that should be mine.

Yikes. 5'2 is like the average height of a regular Asian. I'm staying out of New Zealand.

I honestly haven't seen anyone with weeaboo-ish tendencies yet. As much as there are lots of Anime conventions over here, none of the folks I've seen are weabs. None of us specifically praises Japanese culture with all our heart.

Although I'm probably the one with the most weeaboo tendencies amongst my friends, it's purely out of admiration than blind praising. My country has quite the history with Japan during WW2 after all.

Still... that guy's indications of a loli is too broad. Good lord does that mean he'll view most of us as lolis? I even got a friend that's 4'5 tall as well. I guess I'm never leaving the continent of Asia, ever. ._.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I'd probably want to talk to hardcore weeaboos to understand their mentality a bit. I do not really think that unhealthy obsession with anything is good - and it IS true in case of anime and manga as well. There's only so much you should think about as far as 2D goes - you're a living being in this 3D world - it is when the lines between living and Animu get blurred is when things get a little messy IMO. As long as you've got a firm grasp on reality and know how to conduct yourself as a normal guy while enjoying your hobbies to the fullest then its okay. But some cases like the ones mentioned by a few people above me are...too much. I mean, it is okay to joke around people calling some anime charas waifus and shit as long as you're just screwing around. Taking that thing seriously is when I feel things get a little on the weirder end of the spectrum for me. I mean, hello!? Reality, mofo. Don't forget it so easily!

I personally haven't met hardcore weeaboos in real life myself. But that's because anime/manga isn't as widely seen here as in states I guess. We've got cons and a good deal of fan following too but they're all scattered all over the country and with the kind of society India has I don't think you'd ever see an example as extreme as the ones being mentioned above. You'll see pretty extreme stuff when it comes to horrendous crimes (see india's daughter), sure, but not any of this kind.

As for whether or not I'm open with people about my hobby - why not? I don't really hold back. If they think it is weird to be into 'cartoons' even when you're 20 then I just leave them be while saying 'just preferences, pal'. Besides, if I want to, I can always justify my stance by bringing up the fact that some of the most intelligent people I know around me are into anime as well so it isn't just a petty hobby which I refuse to let go of since I haven't 'grown up' lol. But it is, more often than not, a waste to spend my energy on narrow minded individuals anyway so its mostly 'yeah I like anime and if you think I'm childish for it then so be it lalalala~' lel

Years
  • So none of us have met a hardcore weeaboo in real life?

Maybe the media and the internet over hype the weeaboo stereotype, what do people think about this?

That's kinda a bad way of thinking about it. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist and is an overblown media/internet reaction.

Let's say I haven't met a racist person or I haven't been discriminated due to race, that doesn't prove anything except that I had a fairly peaceful life.

But we mainly don't meet those kinds of people is because they aren't social. They don't flaunt their obsession in real life(at least most from what I've seen/heard/read). But the internet is their gateway to being able to show their weeaboo-ness. They are weeaboos because they just aren't social. That's why they rave over Japan and Japanese men and women. They just think if they go there it will be different.I mean everyone in Japan loves animu right? Also that's why they get invested in the whole 2D world thing and as seen by the post from zappyspiker even actually fall in love in their precious and pure(ughh) 2D girls/women. And when they see that even on their sacred internet that people ridicule their unhealthy habits the chances of them sharing to someone in real life become even slimmer.

That's how I see things at least. I could be wrong.

Years
  • That's kinda a bad way of thinking about it. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean it doesn't exist and is an overblown media/internet reaction.

Let's say I haven't met a racist person or I haven't been discriminated due to race, that doesn't prove anything except that I had a fairly peaceful life.

But we mainly don't meet those kinds of people is because they aren't social. They don't flaunt their obsession in real life(at least most from what I've seen/heard/read). But the internet is their gateway to being able to show their weeaboo-ness. They are weeaboos because they just aren't social. That's why they rave over Japan and Japanese men and women. They just think if they go there it will be different.I mean everyone in Japan loves animu right? Also that's why they get invested in the whole 2D world thing and as seen by the post from zappyspiker even actually fall in love in their precious and pure(ughh) 2D girls/women. And when they see that even on their sacred internet that people ridicule their unhealthy habits the chances of them sharing to someone in real life become even slimmer.

That's how I see things at least. I could be wrong.

I never meant to say that I don't think they exist.

I think what you said is pretty spot on.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • You go bride! Love Plus seems to be a lot behind some of the men being able to date and marry their waifu. It's kinda scary and crazy.
    This guy is a legend.
    I hold this guy in very high regards. He did something no one else could.

Maybe the media and the internet over hype the weeaboo stereotype, what do people think about this?
    It's the internetzzzz, it overhypes everything.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • My brother calls me a weaboo because I like anime, manga and Japanese culture lol He's very Americanized I find, and he's not very open - borderline xenophobic, actually.

I don't really care if people call me that :pink_tongue: It doesn't mean I'll stop watching anime. If anything, they're the close-minded ones who are missing out!

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • So, the other day I was talking about hardcore weeaboos with a couple of my anime-watching friends, and nevertheless one of them posted a pretty interesting link. Reading through the tumblr posts makes me really cringe, like you need a really good imagination to come up with stories that'll send you shivers down your spine.

Also, let's not get into those that heavily worships a certain anime/manga/vocaloid (yes, that's obviously a thing as well) character, 'cause one time a friend of mine went to a convention and bought a Kagamine Len nendoroid for herself, but her acquaintances who was accompanying her thought that she was buying it for their classmate that was a huge fan of said character. And boy the following days after the misunderstanding from her acquaintances caused quite a stir between the two. Said classmate even uses his name as their facebook profile name. It goes to the point that she's scared of mentioning that her favorite character is Kagamine Len to that person, and she deliberately has to hide the evidence that she cosplayed as him a few times already, because people would think that she's cosplaying to make her classmate happy when she just did it for fun.

Like, I've never even encountered a hardcore weeaboo, but that's definitely scary. I mean, as much as I have a favorite character in any anime/manga, I'll never actually get to that point of obsession. That classmate of hers actually reached the point where everyone irl acknowledges that they're a huge fan of Kagamine Len. It honestly creeps me out on how much obsession a person could have.

Years
  • So, the other day I was talking about hardcore weeaboos with a couple of my anime-watching friends, and nevertheless one of them posted a pretty interesting link. Reading through the tumblr posts makes me really cringe, like you need a really good imagination to come up with stories that'll send you shivers down your spine.

Also, let's not get into those that heavily worships a certain anime/manga/vocaloid (yes, that's obviously a thing as well) character, 'cause one time a friend of mine went to a convention and bought a Kagamine Len nendoroid for herself, but her acquaintances who was accompanying her thought that she was buying it for their classmate that was a huge fan of said character. And boy the following days after the misunderstanding from her acquaintances caused quite a stir between the two. Said classmate even uses his name as their facebook profile name. It goes to the point that she's scared of mentioning that her favorite character is Kagamine Len to that person, and she deliberately has to hide the evidence that she cosplayed as him a few times already, because people would think that she's cosplaying to make her classmate happy when she just did it for fun.

Like, I've never even encountered a hardcore weeaboo, but that's definitely scary. I mean, as much as I have a favorite character in any anime/manga, I'll never actually get to that point of obsession. That classmate of hers actually reached the point where everyone irl acknowledges that they're a huge fan of Kagamine Len. It honestly creeps me out on how much obsession a person could have.

Overall the Idol and the Seiyuu culture is really strange. The whole Aya Hirano scandal is proof of that.(She is the voice actress of the character haruhi suzumiya and a idol)She slept with some members of her band and Otaku fans turned on her because she has a sex life and is therefore a whore. Her career took a big hit because of that.

Also I've read articles that if a girl gets seen/caught with a guy(even just dating) she will get a lot of hate. I mean could their pure idols have a normal life, that's absurd! So when caught they have to apologize to the fans and some even have to shave of their damn hair. But so far I think only one idol has done the shaving their head thing.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Overall the Idol and the Seiyuu culture is really strange. The whole Aya Hirano scandal is proof of that.(She is the voice actress of the character haruhi suzumiya and a idol)She slept with some members of her band and Otaku fans turned on her because she has a sex life and is therefore a whore. Her career took a big hit because of that.

Also I've read articles that if a girl gets seen/caught with a guy(even just dating) she will get a lot of hate. I mean could their pure idols have a normal life, that's absurd! So when caught they have to apologize to the fans and some even have to shave of their damn hair. But so far I think only one idol has done the shaving their head thing.

A lot of the Japanese Industry is pretty crazy with that sort of strict stuff. That member of AKB48 especially who had to get her hair shaved off I think is probably the worst one I've heard of.

Following a couple of idol groups in the industry, I know some are pretty dang intense with idols. Especially the ones that come out of Johnny's Entertainment - which is an idol company for male idols.
    Like for example Morimoto Ryutaro from my favourite group Hey! Say! JUMP was caught smoking at the age of 14 and was booted out of the company immediately and I know Koki Tanaka from KAT-TUN got booted out for having nudes released. Of course things can vary depending on how much of a favourite that idol is to Johnny (the creator) himself.
    If that were to happen in the western music industry, it would probably be the headlines and after awhile people would move on to other things. Also what's better? To have your head shaved off, but still be able to stay in your agency or to be booted out of your agency completely?

And this is just all for the idols to keep their pure and clean image for their fans.
    I know the fans themselves are pretty crazy themselves, but it feels like the agencys have somewhat control over them - Like if you saw an Johnny's idol in public you could be in a lot of trouble for taking a single candid photo of them.

Thought I'd chuck this here since I found it interesting.
    A lot of child idols, actors or anyone in the entertainment industry are usually recommend to go to a high school called Horikoshi Gakuen so that they can keep up with their studies while at the same time work in the entertainment industry. But their rules are pretty damn intense - you could think of it as somewhat like the school from UtaPri mixed with Ouran in some sense I guess:
    Spoiler:

But yeah, I don't really follow much of Seiyuus so I don't how much (or less) harsher it is in comparison to idols, but either way the Japanese Entertainment Industry is scary harsh.
    And Japanese fans of both the entertainment industry and those who follow anime/ their favourite characters are pretty scary crazy themselves.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • A lot of the Japanese Industry is pretty crazy with that sort of strict stuff. That member of AKB48 especially who had to get her hair shaved off I think is probably the worst one I've heard of.

Following a couple of idol groups in the industry, I know some are pretty dang intense with idols. Especially the ones that come out of Johnny's Entertainment - which is an idol company for male idols.
    Like for example Morimoto Ryutaro from my favourite group Hey! Say! JUMP was caught smoking at the age of 14 and was booted out of the company immediately and I know Koki Tanaka from KAT-TUN got booted out for having nudes released. Of course things can vary depending on how much of a favourite that idol is to Johnny (the creator) himself.
    If that were to happen in the western music industry, it would probably be the headlines and after awhile people would move on to other things. Also what's better? To have your head shaved off, but still be able to stay in your agency or to be booted out of your agency completely?

And this is just all for the idols to keep their pure and clean image for their fans.
    I know the fans themselves are pretty crazy themselves, but it feels like the agencys have somewhat control over them - Like if you saw an Johnny's idol in public you could be in a lot of trouble for taking a single candid photo of them.

Thought I'd chuck this here since I found it interesting.
    A lot of child idols, actors or anyone in the entertainment industry are usually recommend to go to a high school called Horikoshi Gakuen so that they can keep up with their studies while at the same time work in the entertainment industry. But their rules are pretty damn intense - you could think of it as somewhat like the school from UtaPri mixed with Ouran in some sense I guess:
    Spoiler:

But yeah, I don't really follow much of Seiyuus so I don't how much (or less) harsher it is in comparison to idols, but either way the Japanese Entertainment Industry is scary harsh.
    And Japanese fans of both the entertainment industry and those who follow anime/ their favourite characters are pretty scary crazy themselves.

Holy crap. I'd been thinking stuff like this (L33t Gakuen-desu!) happens only in anime (say, Skip Beat?) but whoa! As for the idols keeping a "clean" profile - I've heard about it. It really does become a very big deal over there. A recent example being Fairy Tail's Lucy's voice actress being surrounded by some sort of controversy which apparently was enough for people to conclude that her career as a voice actress is done for. Although I'm glad she's managed to make it back, but it still does show how strict of an environment Japan has when it comes to these people.

Although if you consider the mentality of the "super obsessed" fans who apparently these celebs live off of - a very large percentage of their earnings depend on the hefty amounts of money being spent by these "fans" - it kind of makes sense. I didn't really take it seriously when I saw a scene in Bakuman where the female lead (who aspires to be a seiyuu) had to keep her relationship with a mangaka under wraps to maintain her popularity. And then when she actually goes ahead and announces it to the public, the first response that she gets is a milder version of "fuck you". But apparently it really does hold some ground in reality. Like, these fans - all they want is for their idol to remain "theirs". They aren't allowed to have normal lives with normal relationships or their popularity will dwindle and fans will feel "betrayed". It is pretty...ridiculous. :(

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Overall the Idol and the Seiyuu culture is really strange. The whole Aya Hirano scandal is proof of that.(She is the voice actress of the character haruhi suzumiya and a idol)She slept with some members of her band and Otaku fans turned on her because she has a sex life and is therefore a whore. Her career took a big hit because of that.

On the other hand, this is pretty much solely Japanese otaku-only.
    I don't think weeaboos would go to such heights.

Though Aya wasn't idol when this scandal happened.
    And... it's Aya, she had few more scandals and still could return to business.

Years
  • Looking back on my youth, I realize some of my friends and acquaintances had weeaboo traits. One guy collected katanas, but also other swords from various countries. And... armor? Eh he's not only interested in Japan, but also Roman weapons/armor.

One of my closer friends used to say stuff like "meow" occasionally and would sometimes add honorifics like "chan" when addressing us. It was a little odd, but we were only 11-14 at the time. At least she didn't speak broken Japanese. But she does truly live in the culture somewhat as her father's side of the family is Japanese. She has several kimono her grandmother passed down to her.

It's okay to have harmless interest in stuff... but the part I don't like is when some people bring their views influenced by anime into real life in harmful ways, like in the link Illusione-Tempus shared. When their fantasies seep into actions they take into reality and social etiquette is lost.

Again, during high school, some of my friends were strange. I didn't like how those who took an interest in (often sexual) yaoi/yuri translated their obsession onto real gay people, taking an odd heightened interest in them... asking intrusive questions or comparing them to fiction. I don't even know how to describe the feeling... Don't objectify real people because you think yaoi/yuri is "super hawt" and wanna know more about their private matters.
    Made me not want to come out to them, among other reasons.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • It's okay to have harmless interest in stuff... but the part I don't like is when some people bring their views influenced by anime into real life in harmful ways, like in the link Illusione-Tempus shared. When their fantasies seep into actions they take into reality and social etiquette is lost.

Again, during high school, some of my friends were strange. I didn't like how those who took an interest in (often sexual) yaoi/yuri translated their obsession onto real gay people, taking an odd heightened interest in them... asking intrusive questions or comparing them to fiction. I don't even know how to describe the feeling... Don't objectify real people because you think yaoi/yuri is "super hawt" and wanna know more about their private matters.
    Made me not want to come out to them, among other reasons.

Oh god, I'm glad you brought that up. I can't stand it when people act like that, it's just plain rude. See, I don't mind yaoi/yuri, or people who are super hardcore into it. I actually think yaoi can be kinda cute. But it's not real, and butting your way into other peoples private life because you think it's uguu kawaii desu is just so cringy, ugh :/

also, I might as well just change the day that I update this event to Sundays, since I seriously never have time to do it on Saturday, lmao :( That being said, closing the thread soon!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back