• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weekly Anim? Discussion #376: Solid As A Solrock

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    Here's my review of "Solid as a Solrock!"...these are mental notes of mine I kept while I watched:

--Here we go!
    --Oh, I'm unbeatable!
    --I can do without the "Newvember' jingle, thanks...
    --'Bout time...
    --The arena looks beautiful!
    --Liza reminds me of Sailor Moon, and Tate of Sonic!
    --Now Ash knows how I feel...
    --Heads up, Pikachu!
    --Pika-pancake!
    --Meanwhile, with Team Rocket...
    --Chibi Giovanni's cute...
    --Team Rocket can't sing...
    --There's no way I'll remember the mecha's name!
    --Hurry, Ash!
    --Good going, Ash!
    --See ya, Team Rocket!
    --Trainer's Choice time...Not a pure Fighting type? Blaziken, since it's part Fire.
    --Can we please stop the Newvember jingle???
    --Yeah, I was right! Blaziken sounds weird...
    --Go Ash! ::waves flag::
    --Golden Pikachu and Swellow! Neat!
    --Kickin' butt!
    --Yay! Ash won!
    --Yeah, I got the Mind Badge!
    --The end...can't wait for next week!

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    I didn't saw it all. Just up to the part where the sneak attack failed. DVR didn't record it all. Bad DVR. I didn't get the pics ffomr Serebii.

Gym badge number 7: Battle field was beautiful. Planets and the stars. Superper. Ash was smart on picking Swellow since Lunatone and Solrock can float and Swellow can fly. Too bad Solrock or Lunatone didn't use a rock attack or the Ice Beam never made a direct hit.

As gymleaders, Liza and Tate were not good at this teamwork thing and Ash just took the time to attack. Good shots. Liza and Tate need to do better.

Now here the part that got me mad at the writers. They use Team Rocket as a time eater on the gym battle. Team Rocket comes and steals Lunatone and Solrock. Ash and Co chase after. Ash and Pika with Swellow helping saves pokemon and Team Rocket goes blasting off again. TIME WASTE!! These guys most be professional but they could have done better. This time could have been use better. Like during this time Liza and Tate could have gotten there act together in the battle and gave Ash a better battle. Insead of just going througth that long pokenap they just killed what could have been a great battle. Here Team Rocket was jsut a time waster and could have use less screen time on them and more on the battle.

Battle back on. Liza and Tate are now working togeher and showing a beating to Swellow and Pikachu. They went brutle force on the sun and moon pokemon. Sneak attacks but still nothing. Liza and Tate were doing great and still Ash and his pokemon are now breaking the laws of nature when it comes to a powerful Tunderbolt from Pikachu. Excuss: Pika absorb most of the attack. When was Pika able to do that? We seen Electabuzzes and many more pokemon done that but never Pika. It always Pika getting shock and fall.

Then in the last few minutes Ash pulls something out of nowhere to win this battle. He gets badge and everybody happy except me.

Why? Becasue of the outcome of this battle. I think Ash should have lost for a couple of reasons

1)Tate and Liza, being gymleaders of a double battle gym should be pros at this and show Ash a truely powerful double battle. Then being the second to last gym it should have been tougher. Look at Blaine and Pryce battle.

2) Even thougth Ash was leading the first half. Being great double battlers taht they are. It would have been easy to turn the tide against a unexperence double battler like Ash.

Even thought Ash should be getting stronger as he goes from gym to gym. He still needs a challenge and this must have been the most unrealistic gym battle in the history of the anime ever. Like some of the things that happen but it doesn't cover for the other things. A lot could have happen to make this one of the best gym battles ever but they just misused the tools they were given. Wish Ash did lost and had to rebattle them again in order to learn more about double battling but a lot could have been done.

No rating.

Hibiki-san

Total NonStop Attitude
    Years
    This episode aired in the UK this morning with the episode before, yesterday. We're catching up! Anyways, I watched this ep just before I went to work this morning. I loved it! I've been falling behind and I'm disappointed in myself cos I'm not the Pok?mon fan I used to be....:( I hardly watch the show, only have one DVD (4ever) and no games cos I have no GBA. But that's all gonna change! 4 and a half days till pay day!!! Anywhoo, Pikachu and Swellow's Thunder Armour Doubel Team attack made me jump up and scream! I LOVED it! I also love Solrock and Lunatone in the anime. They're different to what I expected. Tate's a boy?! o_O

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Golden Pikachu and Swellow? Dude, I missed a major one. I knew Pikachu could do that from pics I've seen of Japanese episodes, but SWELLOW? They must've assumed it was due to the combination or something.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    yeah it was most impressive how swellow / pikachu works so well together and were able to use electic to their advantage..

[SPOIL="Attack images from this episode"]attachments..[/SPOIL]

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    So Pikachu must have used his electricity as a sort of Super Assist move and turned them both gold. Probably the power comes from him being with Ash so long. (I think that's the reason they assumed Swellow turned gold as well. I haven't seen this one yet.)

I saw another site where there were pics of Pikachu doing a dash while covered in electricity in a later episode. I wonder if he'll keep getting more powerful now? It seems to be happening at a faster rate lately.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    This episode was pretty good, I dont like gym episodes that much except for Falkner's, Morty's, Clair's, Bugsy's, Sabrina's and Whitney's.
    Ah, golden Swellow/Pikachu, makes me actually dislike Pikachu a bit less.
    Cool gym! I wonder how the planets float like that
    Newvember my arse! I dont have to see the commercials cuz of my digital video recording system!
    Okay, so I only saw the Japanese version of the episode.
    Fuu and Ran sound MUCH better in the Japanese version, much more like their appearances.
    Sooooonansu!!!!
    7/10

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    That the best part about DVR. No commericals!!

Golden Pikachu and Swellow. Hmm...unrealistic. How can that happen. Pikachu was never able to absorb electicry before and now he can? Whats with that. We seen Pika being shock by others electic attacks and what makes his own any different. Not one of my faves.

I bet Liza and Tate voices do sound better on the Japanese version. Becasue When I look at Liza and Tate, I match a cut little girl's voice. (Tate a BOY!!!). But here on the anime they sound much to older. Bad match.

Years
    Wow, this thread is late. And yeah, just still off and on.

Okay, the seventh Hoenn Gym Battle. The law of averages (as we've seen in Johto) dictate that for every bad thing, there must be a good thing, and the reverse. Despite the pointless filler and the fact the past Gym Leaders' episodes have been superb, the dynamic must change. It finally did this episode. All I see is deus ex machina writing for fourth time in a row.

First off, the twins start off amateurish here but they did a decent job and would have won if it wasn't for the convenient canceling out the Ice Beam and Solarbeam (when was the last time that happened?). I attribute that rather than Team Rocket for sparing Ash. Although that's another valid point, reyna pointed out, as the Rockets conveniently interrupted but considering how they don't usually interrupt a GL battle (and haven't for so long), the change of pace is good.

The change of pace maintains nicely with the Rockets' eccentric humor lighting up the episode (and showing that 4Kids is quite effective with the Rockets for boring episodes) and came so close to victory once again. Pity. And pity the pace before and after that.

Then comes the Pikachu/Swellow Thunder synergy sequence that serves as the denounement for the twins. Now throughout the seasons, the series has been lacking with the type difference and have victories when there shouldn't be (Ash's Grass types vs Jessie's Poison types) but here not only were the series' own video game mechanics were turned on its ear in the most blatant way as nothing in the series indicates such synergy of attacks, but we finally see Swellow as it truly is: Deus ex machina plot device used to write out of plotholes as we seen in "That's Just Swellow" where Ash launched the bird recklessly in a tornado (for a pointless contest) and then again with the abuse it had with in the Winona episode.

Here, it absorbs electricity far more than it should, up to the point of burning flesh as the power up is so protacted and then it saves the day. When it shouldn't have.

It's not the bad techinques that annoys, it's just...why can't the writers write out of their plotholes and not resort to overused plot devices? Particularly as this is a chain of deus ex machina so far. That's one of the main issues with the Pokemon saga in general: horrible climaxes for important storylines.

For the record, I'm not a negative person, as I do my best to take the good and move on as this series has taught me many, many times but I do wonder at times about this series. For the good, which is surprising to say perhaps, Tate and Liza's characterization isn't as annoying as they could be, (neither are their voices), the animation is top notch (no doubt compensation for the poorly animated Winona battle) and Team Rocket is used more effectively than normal (given the past season and this season so far, that's not saying a lot.).

3/10. At least Scuffle of Legends had Magma/Aqua to spice up some things.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Yes. Team Rocket was a time killler here. I been saying this episode would have been better if they just stuck to just straigh battle. But you bring a good point as a change of pace.

Anything will be better then last weeks horror.

Years
    reyna_de_la_fire said:
    Yes. Team Rocket was a time killler here. I been saying this episode would have been better if they just stuck to just straigh battle. But you bring a good point as a change of pace.

Anything will be better then last weeks horror.

I agree that Team Rocket shouldn't have interfered but the fact being that the empathy displacement is high here: the audience cared about the Rockets more than the Gym Battle. At least to someone like myself, and the fact being the Rockets haven't interfered in a Gym Battle for so long makes this less painful.

But yeah, Good God it was bad.

Tomorrow's episode is Hoenn Elite Four Drake's introduction and given how the series is so tactiturn with the Elite Four, I don't know what to expect. Also...wonder about 4Kids and the fact they already gave the name to the Orange Island champion Drake.

Oops. Heh.

Maybe another Lorelei/Prima issue?

Latiasluva

Eevee Luva Grrl
    Years
    Latiasluva said:
    Tate and Liza should have won I mean Ash yeah he one when i was little it was cool but now its just plain boaring......WE VOTE LIZA AND TATE say x3
    I do like it when tate blames poor little liza I wonder irf her real name is Elizabeth...............yet to be posted....to be contienued:19: :19: :18: :18: :chu: :t077: :t338: :t337

Latiasluva

Eevee Luva Grrl
    Years
    4 Emeraldsky

Dont you tell me what to do Emeraldsky! I will do it again
    later haha what are you going to do about it oh what the I will deal with u later so READ THIS YOU SO CALLED EMERALD SKY!!!!!!!!!!!:P :badsmile:

Back