• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Weekly Poll #1] Ash's Rivals!

Who's your favorite rival?

• Gary

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Ritchie

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Morrison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paul

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Barry

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Nando

• Conway

• Shooti

• Total voters
    Years
    This excellent idea was borrowed from the Black and White forums. It's a great idea nonetheless, and I'd like to implement it on this forum. Credit goes to other boards for coming up with the idea and Mew~ for suggesting we use it here. :D

Who's your personal favorite out of all Ash's rivals? Perhaps you're a fan of Paul's arrogant attitude. Do you like Barry's impatient personality? Maybe you're a sucker for Gary Oak. Who do you choose?

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I'm pretty split between Paul and Barry XD. But for rival material, you have to admit Paul was the god of them all. Barry is just outright fun, not a rival~

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Oh awsome, it's up. :D

I've always been a fan of Gary and Paul. I always found Conway really funny too, much honestly don't see him as a rival since he only became one untill the league conference.

I guess Gary would be it for me :D He knows exactly how to put Ash in his place without acting to arrogant like Paul.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Barry or Gary Rhyme's:o I've always been a fan of Gary, he's one of the only rivals who can lose against Ash. Barry's just their cause he's clumsy :]

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I didn't like the attitudes of Paul and (early) Gary towards Ash, so I picked Barry because I like how he's always in a rush to do something.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Its a tie between Barry or Gary but I picked Barry since he was always my favorite rival.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Dont blame me, but I NEVER liked paul much. too meh.
    I loved Gary, felt like a real rival. I didnt get allot of Shooti yet. and barry was just.. I barley saw him (didnt watch) he seemed not like a rival, much more like a weird friend?
    Richie, boy oh boy. my 2nd fave

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    When it comes to humor, I vote Barry. Then again, he was also my favorite character in the Sinnoh Saga. XD;

As far as serious rivals go, Paul would get my vote. As much as his earlier attitude used to aggravate me, he really did bring out the best in Ash. He was a tough opponent, skilled, and regardless of how he trained he knew what he was doing in battle. The simple fact that he brought out the best in Ash though, and how the story between them and their rivalry was built upon, is enough in my book to call him my favorite rival.

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    From what I had seen from Paul his personality is get the hell out of my way I don't give a damn about you, my ultimate goal is victory and to obtain the strongest pokemon. Gary his personality through the whole Kanto saga was Ash your a Loser Smell Ya Later. Pretty much a childish rivalry. Then Gary and Ash really only battled on a couple of occasions I believe three if I recall correctly 1st being Pikachu vs. Eevee at Oaks Lab, then the second one being their match at the Silver Conference, and Pikachu vs. Electivire(IRRC). So really as long as they have been rivals they haven't really battled each other as much as I would think. In Terms of Battling Rivals I would have to go with Paul(from what I have seen of course). Although I do love Harrison which wasn't listed, his Blaziken was a beast and I think he should have won the Silver Conference IMO.

Years
    Although I do love Harrison which wasn't listed, his Blaziken was a beast and I think he should have won the Silver Conference IMO.
    I considered adding Harrison, but decided against it. Harrison only battled Ash once and was created for the sole purpose of defeating him in the league along with Tyson and Tobias. I decided to keep it to the reoccurring rivals.

I chose the magnificent Gary Oak; him and Ash had an interesting rivalry. Gary was the rich, talented, prodigy with everything handed to him and tons of fans. Ash, on the other hand was the idiotic, yet passionate newbie with next to no support. Ash and Gary's rivalry wasn't originally about battling, it was really about outdoing each other. Gary had so many resources but was cocky, which led to him being outdone by Ash in the league. It showed that hard work always prevails, no matter what your origins. It was wonderful to see Gary undergo some character development after the Orange Islands, then ultimately follow his grandfather's footsteps as a Pokemon researcher after the Silver Conference.

But really, his own cheer-leading squad, corvette, and chauffeur at the age of 10? That kid was incredible.

Last edited:
    Years
    I always loved the way Gary was a step ahead of Ash and how he always mocked Ash. His attitude and personality was totally gripping. And hence, I voted for Gary.

The Red Chain

Jun has always been a favorite of mine since the first moment I saw him in DP.
    When he was put into the anime I couldn't stop grinning and fanfreaking all over the place. <33
    I adore his humor, his clumsyness, and his energy. It's a personality I've always wanted to see in someone in real life, to no avail I'm afraid. XD;

I know that Shooti is smug and rude.. just some over-confident rival again, but he has this strange charm to him that I love.
    He's not like Gary or Paul to me, and he just has that flame to him that makes me feel like I want to see him get beaten, but in a good way. I want to see how he'd react to a situation like that.
    In that sense he's the only rival I've ever wanted to see more often, just to see the reasons behind his behavior and more of him as a person and not just the "I'm better than you" demeanor. XD

He has to have some delicateness somewhere under that judging by his fondness for photography and I want to seeee itttt.
    Usually those who enjoy photography have an appreciation for the things around them above most, and love to bask in it, so that's where I get the hidden gentle side of him from.
    Oh, and his love for art [in his own form] is another reason I like him, if that wasn't obvious, haha.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Barry hands down. XD; He's got a humorous personality and loves to speed things up. He livens up the episodes he appears in and that's one of the main things I like about his character. His characteristics are a bit arrogant too, as he thinks very high of himself and loves to believe he's gotten stronger within every battle he makes. You gotta admire his ambition though, he's not dumb nor weak that's for sure.

Overall, everything about Barry makes a perfect rival not only for Ash, but for anyone, and therefore, my favorite rival Ash has had.

Back