• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Weekly Poll #6] What generation did you start with?

What generation got you into Pokemon?

• Generation I

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Generation II

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Generation III

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Generation IV

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Generation V

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ayselipera

Forgive me for forgetting to post this on Friday for the second week in a row. I've been very busy! ;o;o;

Now for the poll question! What generation of Pokemon did you start with? Meaning where in the Pokemon series did you start getting into Pokemon? Did you start right at the beginning, maybe into the third generation, or did you just get into Pokemon now with the fifth generation fast approaching?

-Remember this covers more than the games. So even if you didn't start playing any Pokemon games till the third generation, but started watching the anime during the first generation then you would say you got into it during the first generation.-

Last edited by a moderator:

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
    I started with gen 4. SoulSilver was my first main series (Pokemon) game. But I'm not really sure which generation PMD: Sky goes in... That was my first Pokemon game.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
    Technically, it was the first generation, with me watching a Greek dub of the anime in like the 3rd grade. But I do not count that, since it was just yet another anime/cartoon of the figuratively hundreds I watched at the time. What got me hooked, were the third generation games, which I got when I got my gameboy, my first console. I've been hooked since then, so generation 3 is my answer.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I started watching the anime before playing the games, when I was a little kid. I remember watching the very first episode of Pokémon ever, all the way back in Generation 1. ;o; That's when I loved the anime. The Gen 2 ones were good too, but past that it just went downhill. Buuuut I digress. I started in Generation 1 with the anime, and then the games (Pokémon Yellow was my first Pokémon game ever and it still holds a special place in my heart). Ohhh nostalgia ;__;!

Years
    I was there more or less at the beginning. I don't remember if I saw the anime first and that motivated me to get the game or if I got the game and then found out there was a show, but I had my hands on a copy of Blue as soon as everyone else did. Of course that was all I did with Pokemon until about a year and a half ago so it's not like I've been a lifelong fan.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    I'm all over the place. I at first started with generation 1 but then got back into the games in generation 3 however, I started watching the show again in generation 4.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    first generation. had all the original games at one point too. i remember back then yellow version confused the hell out of me

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I got into Pokemon with the Generation I. I originally got the TCG Starter Set in an effort to fit in better with kids at a camp I was at (because everyone was into Pokemon TCG there). Although the camp think still ended disastrously, I became hooked on Pokemon, and bought Red Version the next month. Around that same time (I can't remember which one came first), I started watching the anime while away on vacation.

And the rest was history...

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
    I got into the games thanks to Gen 1, Pokemon Yellow to be exact. If I remember correctly, I was about 10-11 at the time.
    My friend had invited me over to his house. Out of the corner of my eye I
    saw my friend's Pokemon Yellow cartridge on a shelf, collecting dust. Simply out of curiosity, I asked my friend if I could play it. He said yes, and I started to play. At first, I had my doubts about the game, considering I was going through my 'anything anime-related is stupid' phase.......Heh, boy was I wrong.

-------------------------

It's funny, though. My friend who started my personal Pokemon craze is barely my friend anymore. We hardly talk anymore, even about Pokemon.
    Of course, I doubt he knows what a Pokemon fanatic I am now.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Anime: 1st gen, with the US premiere of the first episode.

TCG: 1st gen, right after I got hooked on the show.

Games: 3rd gen, when my uncle bought me a GBA and my aunt bought me Emerald.

Pokemon was my first major obsession, really, and it's been with me for a long time~

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I started from the beginning and between me and my brother have bought ever *main* Pokemon game. I remember the days when there was just Flareon, Vaporeon and Jolteon. :)

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Generation 1. It was Christmas, I was age 4. My birthday is the day after Christmas however, so I turned 5 the next day. I was new to RPGs, the only game I had before then was Super Mario Land. I began to watch the anime and teach myself how to play at an early age, I was a smart little kindergartner. The first starter I got was Charmander; my aunt selected it for me because I didn't even know how to select a starter. I eventually tried Squirtle, but the first time I beat the game I had a Venusaur which has been my Kanto starter ever since. Good times...

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Hmm. Which came first (games, anime, tcg) is like chicken and the egg for me. I honestly don't remember which I got into first but...[reminisce]I remember rushing from the kitchen to the T.V. everyday at 4:00 to see the anime (gen I of course). I also fondly remember the Wizards of the Coast store in our local mall (that's right! I was one lucky S.O.B.) which I went to almost every time we went to the mall. It was one of the saddest days of my life when I found out it was closing down
    :( [/reminisce]

I think I will have to say that my first MEMORIES of the games came from gen II. I guess I've been into the franchise so long that I've got no idea when it all started for me :P I'm guessing I'm not the only one like that though?

Back