• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird evolutions.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
  • Venonat to Venomoth is a very odd evolution that nobody mentioned in here I think. (though it does have to do with butterfree & venomoth mixup)

grooveturtle

Turtle Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2013
    I think Clamperl is a freak of evolution.
    But one thing is, why does Mime Jr. look like a female, and Mr. Mime look like a male, and why does mime Jr. LOOK femal and have a male name.
    I don't like how the sheep lose all their cotton. (Mareep - Ampharos)
    The original design for Graveler had no legs. =)

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
    Years
  • I think Clamperl is a freak of evolution.
    But one thing is, why does Mime Jr. look like a female, and Mr. Mime look like a male, and why does mime Jr. LOOK femal and have a male name.
    I don't like how the sheep lose all their cotton. (Mareep - Ampharos)

What do you mean Mime Jr. has a male name? Women can be known as 'juniour' as well.

I know a girl called Mary Jane Jr. and her mother is Mary Jane Sr. :)

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today

Are you referring to this?
    Weird evolutions.

Actually, the way Graveler is posed makes it seem that it doesn't have feet.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I can see some toes peeking out underneath though! :3

Years
  • Remoraid to Octillery was always a wierd one, since the whole Weak Fish-Sea Serpent thing became somewhat canon in Pokemon after Feebas, but a fish evolving into an Octopus is just a generally odd concept that I doubt we'll see again. Yanmega evolving from Yanma is another one, since Yanma was based on a darner dragonfly and looked somewhat cute, whereas Yanmega is based on a prehistoric insect and looks much uglier, I really never saw Yanmega as a plausible evolution for Yanma, albeit they come from similar species.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • There are plenty of weird evolutions people have mentioned that I agree with being...

Magikarp - Gyarados
    Feebas - Milotic
    Remoraid - Octillery
    Exeggute - Exeggutor

I think the Karrablast/Shelmet line is weird regarding the method to evolving them, I mean trading with them at the same time will cause evolution...

Roconza

Crazy girl say wha?
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I find Shelmet to be confounding it's look like it could be the preevo to Escavalier but it evolves in to a ninja.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • a Feebas into a milotic, I really do not see the resembelence.

:t354:TG

Well, try picturing Feebas as a swan chick, that grows from ugly to beautiful.
    I kind of think that is what Feebas' evolution was based on.
    Also I think Remoraid's evolution to Octillery is kind of weird.
    They're based on different animals, yet they're connected somehow Oo

Years
  • Makukita > Hariyama

Hariyama looks nothing like Makuhita. Hariyama reminds me of that boss in Mystical Ninja starring Goeman with the big hands.

Bagon > Shelgon > Salamence

This whole evolution chain is weird as none of the pokemon involved resemble each other one bit.

Ones what have already been mentioned too like the Magikarp and Feebas transformations.

Poliwhirl > Politoed
    Gloom > Bellosom

Both these two shrink when they evolve and are smaller than their pre-evolved forms and again look nothing like them.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Makukita > Hariyama

Hariyama looks nothing like Makuhita. Hariyama reminds me of that boss in Mystical Ninja starring Goeman with the big hands.

Bagon > Shelgon > Salamence

This whole evolution chain is weird as none of the pokemon involved resemble each other one bit.

Ones what have already been mentioned too like the Magikarp and Feebas transformations.

Poliwhirl > Politoed
    Gloom > Bellosom

Both these two shrink when they evolve and are smaller than their pre-evolved forms and again look nothing like them.

Uh ever heard of a Tadpole turning into a Frog or a Bloom turning into a Blossom?
    Also the explanation behind Masgikarp and Feebas has been explained so many times on this thread it's annoying.

OT: I always thought the Beldum Evolution cycle was really freaking weird. Metang = 2 Beldums. Metagross = 2 Metangs. So in a sense in order to build one Metagross you need four Beldums along with two Metangs to build up the body. A Metagross is like built out of 6 pokemon?! What could that possibly be based on in real life? The closest I think is Magnetic rocks, but don't we already have our fair share of Magnetic Pokemon?

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
  • Togetic to Togekiss, it just threw me off for the first time.
    Pineco to Forretress, it took me a while to realize its like a acorn evolving into a walnut.
    Snorunt to Glalie, like wtf how? Explain to me how a triangle can evolve into a giant floating head.
    Burmy to Mothim, no comment

And some theory's on why Pokemon evolve into a weird form

Exeggcute to Exeggutor, I have to think deep on this one. As I recall pokedex said Exeggutors heads can fall right off the body right? So can a palm tree, dropping its coconuts. And when its coconut/Exeggcute drops to the ground its like an egg/chance to grow up as a new Exeggutor/palmtree. Thats unless coconuts are not the seeds themselves.

Last edited:
    Back