• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird PokéDex Entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Hello there! I was playing HeartGold and finally got my Grolithe to level 42 and ready to evolve. When I got the Arcanine, I checked the PokéDex entry, and it said this:
    This legendary Chinese Pokémon is considered magnificent. Many people are enchanted by its grand mane.

Wait a second, did they just say Chinese? Does China exist in the Pokémon World?

Another thing is how they say the "Dog Pokémon" or "Cat Pokémon" etc. Pokémon are meant to replace animals, animals don;t exist in he Pokémon world, they aren't meant to know what a dog is xD

Well, that's me. What other weird and wonderful PokéDex entries have you come across? Some entries that don't make sense to you, or make you wonder, "How does that happen? o_O"

Please do state the Pokémon (no d'uh :P) and the game where you found the entry. Bulbapedia has al the game entries for each Pokémon, if you need to refresh your memory :)

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    Well, Arcanine is basically the Pokemon version of the shishizi, which are a legendary creature in China (shisa/shiisa are the Japanese equivalent), so I'm not surprised there. It's certainly not the first time real-world locations are mentioned in-game. Lt. Surge is an American soldier, for example, and Regice's entry in some game (I forget which) mentions Antarctica. I also seem to remember Mew initially having been found in Guyana.

I always thought it was weird that Ivysaur's R/B Pokedex entry says it can't stand on its hind legs, when that's exactly what it shows it doing in its sprite.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Alakazam's (and perhaps a couple of other psychic-types) having obscenely high IQs. Intelligence quotient as measured by psychologists will usually cap out at around 200, with 85% of adult humans averaging between 80-120. Anything greater than 150 is pretty smart, going past 200 is most likely exaggerating, and 5,000 is just plain unattainable. :/

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    I always thought it was weird that Ivysaur's R/B Pokedex entry says it can't stand on its hind legs, when that's exactly what it shows it doing in its sprite.

Maybe it meant that they can't stand solely on their hind legs?

Alakazam's (and perhaps a couple of other psychic-types) having obscenely high IQs. Intelligence quotient as measured by psychologists will usually cap out at around 200, with 85% of adult humans averaging between 80-120. Anything greater than 150 is pretty smart, going past 200 is most likely exaggerating, and 5,000 is just plain unattainable. :/

Alakazam's IQ is over 9,000....... ;D

The only one I can remember is about how Parasect is completely controlled by a fungus or something like that. Let me see if I can find the description......

Actually, a lot of the pokedex entries for Parasect are weird or kind of creepy:

"The bug host is drained of energy by the mushrooms on its back. They appear to do all the thinking."

"It stays mostly in dark, damp places, the preference not of the bug, but of the big mushrooms on its back."

"When nothing's left to extract from the bug, the mushrooms on its back leave spores on the bug's egg."

:O

This isn't weird, but here's another real world mention:
    "It scatters toxic spores from the mushroom cap. In China, the spores are used as herbal medicine."

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Well, there's always the theory that pokedex entries are written by the ten-year-old player character through simple observation, and I doubt ten-year-olds in the Pokemon world have taken a course in psychology like I have, so it makes a little bit of sense for them to exaggerate numbers rather than do any extensive scientific tests. XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The Pokedex entries for Darumakka (its poop being used as a heat source) and Sazandora (its other 2 heads don't have brains).

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    The entry for this Pokemon seems very frightening and strange to me:

Weird PokéDex Entries

Weird PokéDex Entries
    Weird PokéDex Entries

HAUNTER - No. 093
    Gas POKEMON
    Habitat: Cave

Height: 5'03"
    Weight: 0.2 lbs

PokeDex Entries:
    Ruby and Sapphire - Haunter is a dangerous Pokémon. If one beckons you while floating in darkness, you must never approach it. This Pokémon will try to lick you with its tongue and steal your life away.

Emerald - If a Haunter beckons you while it is floating in darkness, don't approach it. This Pokémon will try to lick you with its tongue and steal your life away.

FireRed - If you get the feeling of being watched in darkness when nobody is around, Haunter is there.

O_O Gengar's entries give off the same vibe as well, but the creepiness for me started when I looked at Haunter's FireRed entry. Upon trading it to Emerald for evolution, it got even creepier... :( Very unsettling to learn when you're using a bunch of them to catch the roaming Legendary Dogs in FR/LG... *shudders* Those abilities seem very odd and malevolent, even for a Pokemon...

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    i remember a very early (like the first gen or maybe second) pokedex entry for pidgey or pidgeotto mention they kick up dirt to find caterpies to eat which i thought was weird cause you never see pokemon hunt even though they're suppose to be the animals of the pokemon world. which makes me wonder whenever people are eating meat in the show, what are they really eating?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Hello there! I was playing HeartGold and finally got my Grolithe to level 42 and ready to evolve. When I got the Arcanine, I checked the PokéDex entry, and it said this:

Wait a second, did they just say Chinese? Does China exist in the Pokémon World?

Another thing is how they say the "Dog Pokémon" or "Cat Pokémon" etc. Pokémon are meant to replace animals, animals don;t exist in he Pokémon world, they aren't meant to know what a dog is xD

Well, that's me. What other weird and wonderful PokéDex entries have you come across? Some entries that don't make sense to you, or make you wonder, "How does that happen? o_O"

Please do state the Pokémon (no d'uh :P) and the game where you found the entry. Bulbapedia has al the game entries for each Pokémon, if you need to refresh your memory :)

Actually the Real World Does exist in the Pokemon World. LT. Surge is from America. There are also real animals that are just never shown in the game, but the Anime has shown normal worms as well as fish and a few pet cats/dogs during the Kanto series and a few other times past that. So any of them that make references to real world countries aren't really that weird.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    magikarp man, magikarp and spoink

Why because they splash too much? lol

Anyways:

My favorite Pokemon (which is a weirdo) why Banette, why must you have a weird Pokedex entry for?

Ruby: Banette generates energy for laying strong curses by sticking pins into its own body. This Pokémon was originally a pitiful plush doll that was thrown away.

Sapphire: A cursed energy permeated the stuffing of a discarded and forgotten plush doll, giving it new life as Banette. The Pokémon's energy would escape if it were to ever open its mouth

Emerald: An abandoned plush doll became this Pokémon. They are said to live in garbage dumps and wander about in search of the children that threw them away

FireRed and LeafGreen: Strong feelings of hatred turned a puppet into a Pokémon. If it opens its mouth, its cursed energy escapes

Diamond, Pearl and Platinum: A doll that became a Pokémon over its grudge from being junked. It seeks the child that disowned it.

HeartGold and SoulSilver: This Pokémon developed from an abandoned doll that amassed a grudge. It is seen in dark alleys.

Black and White: A doll that became a Pokémon over its grudge from being junked. It seeks the child that disowned it.

sorry for all of the Post, but thats how I feel about Banette's Pokedex

:t354:TG

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

... I still don't get it, how is Arcanine a legendary Pokémon? >n<;;

There was a lot of speculation back in the day that Arcanine was perhaps meant to be a Legendary Pokemon, as it appeared with the three Legendary Birds in the second episode with the tablets. Plus, it does give off that bit of a "legendary" feeling, if you ask me. The description is most likely something to do with it having many legends written about it though, not being an actual rare-Legendary type Pokemon.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    How about the fact that Druddigon's Black Pokedex entry says that it absorbs sunlight with its wings? However, Druddigon does not learn any sun-based moves like SolarBeam, Synthesis, and Morning Sun. In this case, the entry isn't exactly weird; it just contains information that is in no way expressed in gameplay.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Metang: Its metal body won't get scratched if it collides with a jet.

a) I didn't think Metang could float high enough where it would be right in the path of commercial jets. Was this based on some freak accident or controlled experiment?

b) If it's the second, what kind of cruel, ridiculous scientist would perform this experiment? What if that jet happened to rip right through the Metang?

Then there's the whole Gold/HG entry calling Pikachu "intelligent" when it's clearly the stupidest Pokemon ever conceived, but we won't go into that lol

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    GUYS GUYS GUYS. This thread is from 2010. >>; Please don't post in threads that are over a month old.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back