• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Welcome to our new Pokémon Sun and Moon forum!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't really think the two are linked but I'm afraid main-series Pokemon games will eventually head in the same direction as Pokemon Go eventually.

What are all of your thoughts RE: Voice Acting and realism in-game?

We had Pikachu saying its voice in recent games, as well as Psyduck (I believe?). We had voice actors singing in a specific area of Unova, too. Are you guys ready to move onto actual voices in the games? A gym leader talking in a dubbed voice for example?

I think think this is where we might be heading for these games. I know these games are text-only, and I can see them continue to work that way. I do however think they might just add in real dialogue to bring us closer to achieving that real life aspect that Pokemon Go is aiming for. I remember holograms in X/Y - I think that's also maybe the route they might be going down for these games.

pkmin3033

The day Pokemon heads solely in the direction of Go is the day the franchise and I part ways, I'm afraid. I'm not against diversification for the sake of a wider audience, just as long as I continue to get the games that appeal to me. I don't like the look of Pokemon Go, but I don't begrudge its existence; it's clearly not aimed at me, and I've got Sun and Moon to be curious about. But if they ever stop making proper RPGs, I'm done. I doubt I'll be the only one, either.

I can't see why they would do that anytime soon, as that would be a rather foolish move to make whilst the series sells as much as it does (despite declining sales, those are still very impressive numbers) but I suppose in the far flung future it's a very real possibility. It'd be a shame, though.

HyperJono

Fanfic Writer, Pokeshipper, Lover of Pokemon
    Years
    Honestly i'd say the day pokemon stops being and RPG game is probably the day Ash Ketchum either grows up or is removed from the Pokemon Anime.

And Meloetta your not the only person you'd bail if Pokemon stopped making proper RPGs. I would ditch the franchise as well

Years
    If Pokemon stopped making its traditional main games, I wouldn't like the franchise as much. The main games are what tend to sell a lot and therefore making tons of money for Game Freak.

HyperJono

Years
    I'm pretty sure if Gamefreak stopped making the main series Pokemon games their would be a huge uproar about and public opinion and demand would force them to resume them.

Years
    I'm pretty sure if Gamefreak stopped making the main series Pokemon games their would be a huge uproar about and public opinion and demand would force them to resume them.

I agree. Especially when you know that Pokemon is the 2nd best-selling video game franchise, only coming behind another Nintendo franchise, Mario.

pkmin3033

Well, it depends on the direction Nintendo take with their next-generation hardware, I think. The only way I can see the mothership titles adapting to be less of a traditional RPG experience is if the hardware changes to the point that they feel it doesn't support that style of game, or something else would be a better fit. It's difficult to say with Nintendo what the future holds, because they're constantly throwing curveballs at the industry, and Game Freak have been out to surprise us these last couple of generations. It's improbable, but not impossible.

HyperJono

Years
    True. But if Gamefreak were to stop making the main series games that would mean the Pokemon Anime would have to finish as that brings in alot of money as well. Though I honestly wouldn't be broken up with as i got sick of it when it went to Unova and my opinion of hasn't improved since it's gone to Kalos. But

pkmin3033

I'm not saying that they'd stop making the mothership titles; rather, that they'd transform them into a different genre of RPG. Say, for argument's sake, that battles went from turn-based to real time. That's purely hypothetical, but it's the sort of radical change I'm thinking of.

Pokemon, at its core, has always had turn-based gameplay. But then, Game Freak are constantly looking for ways to adapt or break conventions; to reinvigorate the genre and surprise players. They've never made changes on that grand of a scale before, but that may not solely be because of tradition; it could be because of hardware constraints, or other factors we're not privy to.

Drawing a parallel: you have only to look at how much Square Enix has been screwing with Final Fantasy since the PS2 days, or how Sega keeps trying to reinvent Sonic every other game. Those are both incredibly popular franchises, and both have been around for longer than Pokemon too. It's not entirely outside the realm of possibilities that, if sales continue to decline, eventually - maybe in two more generations, maybe three, maybe more - Game Freak might try and reinvent the wheel and revitalise the franchise for a newer generation who are used to fast-paced, action-orientated gameplay...and smartphone titles; bitesize gameplay like what is provided in the F2P titles they've released recently.

Maybe, maybe not. I highly doubt it's going to happen with Sun & Moon, because if it was you can bet Game Freak would have shown us a hell of a lot more than what they did, and they wouldn't be talking about bringing things together, but rather changing them. But Pokemon isn't immune to radical changes on that scale, just because it's been going for so long. Other franchises have been going a lot longer and they're barely recognisable now.

HyperJono

Years
    I see your point and your right Gamefreak may release a main series game in which the battle mechanics are fast pasted action gameplay rather than the turn base style we have now. I am sure if a main series game was released with fast paced action game play instead of the turn base style the might be a huge uproar from players who were introduced to pokemon with the turn based style wanting them to bring back the turn based style into games.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    I don't really think the two are linked but I'm afraid main-series Pokemon games will eventually head in the same direction as Pokemon Go eventually.

What are all of your thoughts RE: Voice Acting and realism in-game?

We had Pikachu saying its voice in recent games, as well as Psyduck (I believe?). We had voice actors singing in a specific area of Unova, too. Are you guys ready to move onto actual voices in the games? A gym leader talking in a dubbed voice for example?

I think think this is where we might be heading for these games. I know these games are text-only, and I can see them continue to work that way. I do however think they might just add in real dialogue to bring us closer to achieving that real life aspect that Pokemon Go is aiming for. I remember holograms in X/Y - I think that's also maybe the route they might be going down for these games.

I really don't see any mentions about moving the mainline Pokémon games into mobile. It only mentions about the dialogue.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
    I can hardly imagine what the game is going to look like, considering there are so few details out atm. I'm just glad they're releasing it for the 3DS still cause I don't want to have to buy another handheld!

pkmin3033

Well, we don't even know yet if the NX is going to be a handheld, and even if it is, Nintendo have stated that they're going to continue to support the 3DS for years to come yet...I mean, they only released the New 3DS last year, so it's got to have a few good years in it yet. To not give it Pokemon titles would be a pretty stark statement to the contrary, no?

Years
    Given what little info is known about the NX, I could see a lot of Pokemon games coming onto the 3DS for years to come. Maybe when we learn more about NX we'll see what it means for the 3DS's fate.

pkmin3033

I'd expect at least Gen VII on the 3DS, maybe even Gen VIII if Sun and Moon are the start of the seventh gen and the current lifespan of Pokemon gens remains as it is. Maybe we'll see titles released on the 3DS and Nintendo's next handheld together, but I can't see them stopping support for a while, or even making New 3DS exclusive Pokemon titles. I wonder if they'll ever support that bloody handheld with new games, instead of ancient SNES titles and Xenoblade Chronicles. As good as Xenoblade is, it can't really justify an upgrade for most people; I bought two of the things

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2017
    There MIGHT be a third version here.

Why? Because the name of a hypothetical third version isn't as glaringly obvious as the likes of Gray and Z.

Back