• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
  • Oh, I don't deny that they totally tried to crush competitive SSB. They haven't tried to do it to Pokemon though so I'm not sure what's up with the inconsistency. Maybe because Pokemon have enough official push going for it to keep it protected? Who knows. It probably has something to do with community tournaments versus official tournaments, where SSB is totally community-run while Pokemon isn't.

Most I can say is that singles is much, much older. But official tournaments have shifted to doubles when doubles was released in gen 3 and have stayed that way since. Singles have more exposure through in-game events (like 95% of the game is singles, eh). I wouldn't be surprised if a quarter of competitive singles players don't realize that competitive doubles exist. It's not /out there/ and not many people actually bother looking up live tournaments, where it's mainly doubles and casual that reign.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I'd like to state the my claim that Megas "prove" gamefreak / Nintendo don't care is quite an overstatement used for effect. I understand the misunderstanding, but you can't deny that Nintendo isn't shy of trying to ruin competitive play of their games. I'm not saying Mega ARE proof, it's just compelling evidence.

And I mean, double may be more balanced than singles, but singles is the most popular, is it not? If Nintendo was aware of this, then they would capitalize on the most popular playstyle and make it as balanced as they could if they actually cared about competitive and its health.

I don't think Nintendo's preferences for competitive play of their games can be applied to this situation though, as TPCI independently runs the official tournaments if I'm not mistaken? Given their legitimate and official authority over handling Pokemon events, I don't think Nintendo would have anything to do with quashing the competitive scene in Pokemon. And they can't be held responsible for the power of megas drastically altering singles format meta play, since that's Game Freak's design and distribution of stats, typings, and abilities. Nintendo has very little to do with it. If anything, they advised Pokemon to take a course relative to megas with the franchise, as an overseeing business decision. So the mega situation can't be NINTENDO - hating [singles] competitive. It's either game freak of TPCI, right?

And let's just for a moment assume the worst for singles, say game freak is completely aware with 100 percent accuracy what they're doing to the meta with the megas. Game Freak hates singles, and only wants doubles as a competitive type. Do you wanna fight that? I can't say id blame you, or anyone - for sticking to their guns- but it comes down to a question 'way I see it.

Do you reject the new way to play the game, and instead stick with the way you've played for longer and are more used to, even if it's broken at it's core, and fight against Game Freak- picking apart new elements of each new title, and deciding which are fair and which are not for your way of plying then Gabriel OR. Do you adapt to this new type of gameplay with more balance and variety?

I really can't blame you for being upset though, if they did stuff to drastically alter doubles which made it really trafficked with only a few things, and everyone changed over to singles again

Ps- sorry if there's any spelling erorrz, broken English, unfitting words and all that stuff. Trying to post from a phone

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • I'm saying Nintendo is ruining competitive through stuff like power creep and additions of certain abilities / moves to pokemon. They're creating the imbalanced metagame WITHIN the game. Not by stopping tournaments. I'm just using smash as evidence that they dislike the competitive scene of their games (until recently).

TPCI is irrelevant to what I'm saying.

If they want Doubles to be balanced then I get that. Sure. They can do what they want with their games. This is why smogon exists. To provide for a way for us to "fix" the game for the singles area of the game.

I mean you guys can keep misreading my posts and using examples that are irrelevant if you want but I'm done talking about this since I've said the same thing again and again.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • I'm saying Nintendo is ruining competitive through stuff like power creep and additions of certain abilities / moves to pokemon. They're creating the imbalanced metagame WITHIN the game. Not by stopping tournaments. I'm just using smash as evidence that they dislike the competitive scene of their games (until recently).

TPCI is irrelevant to what I'm saying.

If they want Doubles to be balanced then I get that. Sure. They can do what they want with their games. This is why smogon exists. To provide for a way for us to "fix" the game for the singles area of the game.

I mean you guys can keep misreading my posts and using examples that are irrelevant if you want but I'm done talking about this since I've said the same thing again and again.

Dude it's cool, I was done like a page and a half ago but it kept coming up hahaha. I feel you though; different folks different strokes. All that. We can talk about how nasty Salamence is gonna be with actually flying stabs now that mega sal gets Aerialate instead; or wether or not Sableye is going to outclass its mega like garchomp does - magic bounce makes it seem like a counter to its non meg evolved self. And well, really anything else that relies on status. But it's funny it goes from prankster to bouncer.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • But only to touch on this for a second again... GF / TPCI are far more meta aware than people give them credit for. That's why they use doubles for tourneys. That's why they set certain megas up the way they did. That's why to them the megas aren't broken. Because they're not, outside the one way of playing that makes them "broken". Watch the world championships. Does anything there look "broken"? Did the two competitors in the finals have copy paste teams with 4/6 Pokemon in common? Why was there no mega mawile or gengar in that final match? (If there was actually a technical reason, I missed it and apologize for this poorly researched point) There was a mega lucario ... Which ... Died on the first turn without getting a KO, but a Pachirisu that happened to work very well with the winner's team, enough to greatly aid him in winning both matches. But guess who doesn't like doublesssss

Not to drag this on, but stop employing anecdotal evidence because it is *still* a fallacy. It's the most frustrating thing in any argument no matter the topic. No one wants to engage in discourse with people who refuse to argue in a logically sound manner.

Do you reject the new way to play the game, and instead stick with the way you've played for longer and are more used to, even if it's broken at it's core, and fight against Game Freak- picking apart new elements of each new title, and deciding which are fair and which are not for your way of plying then Gabriel OR. Do you adapt to this new type of gameplay with more balance and variety?

No seriously, stop with these totally fallacious arguments. I'm getting tired of linking to these logical fallacies.

It's a black-or-white fallacy because you frame tiering itself as "failing to adapt" or "adapting to a new type of gameplay," with heavy bias against the former built into the comparison. Pokemon are banned when adaptation is impossible. Maybe you can point out obscure counters like Sableye for Mega Kanga, but guess what? You only have six team slots. You can't run an obscure counter for everything. Good luck with Mega Gengar. And Geomancy Xerneas. I could keep going. This is an argument that comes up every freaking time something is banned (I remember seeing it during gen4 suspect tests), but it still sucks and doesn't actually engage the suspects at all.

You can try to frame bans as "failure to adapt" because Smogon "wants to try to legislate the game to be like what they're already used to," but lucky us! That's a strawman! You can't misrepresent the purpose of tiering, attack that purpose as flawed, and then conclude that Smogon's tiers/bans are rubbish. go ahead, prove that the point of bans is to promote what people are used to. I'll bet you can't! Because it's total baloney. I have no idea what compels you to repeatedly make this totally unsupported claim. You failure to adapt argument is just as applicable to beasts like Kyogre and Xerneas as it is to mega evolutions, which is a pretty good indicator that it might have a few holes.

Hopefully I don't have to explain the various loaded questions you've been lobbing our way!!!!

So yeah, to echo Aero's frustration, it's really annoying arguing in circles with people who seem to have no idea how to argue logically. Want to have an argument about the merits of Smogon's tiering system? Count me in.

But you can't come into it with assumptions like "they're crybabies who don't want to adapt" or "they just want to stick with what they're used to" or "Smogon just wants to dictate to people how they should play" because these assumptions are logically hollow (and false...x_x) and eliminate the possibility for productive debate. Maybe try to understand where your opponents are coming from before you dismiss and attack them. :/

And on that note, FREE MEGA SABLEYE

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • fallacies

Look; I'm trying to keep this moving and not be a jerk about it - if we all wanna move on - let's do it instead of talking about it. :P

Mega Sableye, I'm not sure of the viability for. I have a strong gut feeling people will want to use prankster sableye over its magic bouncing mega without the priority status of recover, will o wisp, trick, confuse ray, etc. Although if they're reeeeally not exaggerating about its defensive stat buffs, it will be a tank with only one weakness, and access to recover and a whole bunch of other tricks. So there's that prospect. Plus; supposedly with all that new bulk, it'll be able to tank hits and not mind the priority drop, since it'll be able to stick around long enough to get them in regardless.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Gentlemen. Let's just agree to disagree here, all right?

...that has to be the biggest single line of bull I've ever read here. No one is responsible for "fixing" the game. Nintendo is not asking you to "fix" the game. Gamefreak isn't asking you to "fix" the game. The more appropriate thing to say is something like, maybe, "Smogon exists as a way for those who do not like Gamefreak's allowance of overpowered Pokémon in online battles because they cannot find a way to defeat them to effectively ban them from play for what is felt to be a more competitive metagame." That's more accurate.

And hopefully said in such a way that no one is insulted by it.

EDIT: Evidently, insult was taken, remarked upon...and subsequently deleted. ~_~

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • (In case anyone is wondering why I'm still participating in this "discussion," then you should go to www.goodquestion.com and PM me the results.)

Gentlemen. Let's just agree to disagree here, all right?
    ...that has to be the biggest single line of bull I've ever read here.
    Evidently, insult was taken, remarked upon...and subsequently deleted. ~_~

>agree to disagree let's be civil about this!
    >LOL NICE POST NEVER SEEN A BIGGER LOAD OF BS ON PC B4!!!!
    >wait he's offended wat

(You might want to edit out that bit about it being the biggest load of bull you've ever seen. It's not the most respectful tone in the world. To say the least.)

No one is responsible for "fixing" the game. Nintendo is not asking you to "fix" the game. Gamefreak isn't asking you to "fix" the game.

What does this have to do with anything? Why does any of this matter? I don't know if this is an appeal to authority ("Nintendo and GF made the game so we should defer to them") or something else, but I'm legitimately puzzled as to why this is relevant. (GF and Nintendo didn't ask Kwesi to make a Pokemon fansite/forum either, but here we are. People can interact with the game however they want, and if that means some players congregate on Smogon to regulate it as they please for their own members' enjoyment of the game, then what exactly is the problem?)

If you're going for the "Smogon is playing Pokemon God" angle, then you seem to be missing the point (already made a few times in this thread but whatever) that Smogon's tiers are not mandatory. They're for people who want to use them. I wouldn't argue that "Mountain Dew is arrogantly telling me how I should flavor my beverages" because I do not have to purchase their product. Yes, some of their users can be arrogant and pompous. That doesn't discredit Smogon's tiers though, and I'm having faith that the reason for this is evident enough that I don't have to link to the ad hominem fallacy. If you weren't going for the Smogon playing God angle, then just ignore this paragraph, and my apologies for misinterpreting your post. Just inferring based on past posts because your rhetorical intent wasn't very clear to me.

The more appropriate thing to say is something like, maybe, "Smogon exists as a way for those who do not like Gamefreak's allowance of overpowered Pokémon in online battles because they cannot find a way to defeat them to effectively ban them from play for what is felt to be a more competitive metagame." That's more accurate.

Unless this is supposed to be really pejorative, it seems to have very similar substance to what Aero said. Even though the language you use seems to be a little biased against what you're describing (we can't find ways to beat Mega Gar, Kanga, etc. because they pretty much don't exist/only serve the niche of countering that mon), it's pretty much the same. It seems like this is a semantic disagreement ("fixing" the game vs. promoting a competitive metagame) but both mean the same thing, in context. So I'm confused where the disagreement is.

And hopefully said in such a way that no one is insulted by it.

Well then.

EDIT: I think most everyone would be willing to agree to disagree but "I laugh at Smogon!!!" and "biggest load of bull ever!!!" aren't exactly conciliatory/respectful. Just sayin'.

.Aero

Years
  • Just want to clear up that I wasn't offended by your statement, Cyclone. I have no reason to be.

I deleted my post because of the reasoning I deleted my post. I'm done.

I'd try to throw this thread back on track perhaps but I have no idea how, and it can easily just spiral back into this same topic. Speculation of megas is shallow right now since we don't actually know of their stats and thus can't COMPLETELY determine their effectiveness at performing their presumed jobs. It's the ultimate level of theorymon. I'm also currently not battling due to school starting in a day and I need to find a job, etc , etc. And as a result, I have no problems with the UU metagame that I can speak of since I haven't played in a bit.

I WILL BE BACK IN THE SWING OF THINGS ONCE SCHOOL GETS GOING THOUGH.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    >agree to disagree let's be civil about this!
    >LOL NICE POST NEVER SEEN A BIGGER LOAD OF BS ON PC B4!!!!
    >wait he's offended wat

(You might want to edit out that bit about it being the biggest load of bull you've ever seen. It's not the most respectful tone in the world. To say the least.)
    No, I'm matter-of-fact and honest, and don't mind giving my opinion. Because it's the truth (IMO).

What does this have to do with anything? Why does any of this matter? I don't know if this is an appeal to authority ("Nintendo and GF made the game so we should defer to them") or something else, but I'm legitimately puzzled as to why this is relevant. (GF and Nintendo didn't ask Kwesi to make a Pokemon fansite/forum either, but here we are. People can interact with the game however they want, and if that means some players congregate on Smogon to regulate it as they please for their own members' enjoyment of the game, then what exactly is the problem?)

If you're going for the "Smogon is playing Pokemon God" angle, then you seem to be missing the point (already made a few times in this thread but whatever) that Smogon's tiers are not mandatory. They're for people who want to use them. I wouldn't argue that "Mountain Dew is arrogantly telling me how I should flavor my beverages" because I do not have to purchase their product. Yes, some of their users can be arrogant and pompous. That doesn't discredit Smogon's tiers though, and I'm having faith that the reason for this is evident enough that I don't have to link to the ad hominem fallacy. If you weren't going for the Smogon playing God angle, then just ignore this paragraph, and my apologies for misinterpreting your post. Just inferring based on past posts because your rhetorical intent wasn't very clear to me.
    Did I say Smogon has no reason to exist for those who choose to make up its community? I simply said Smogon is full of people who have arbitrarily decided that certain Pokémon cannot be beaten with supposed "tried and true" strategies, but meanwhile a random Pachirisu has shown up and become a freakin' WORLD CHAMPION. It really brings question to Smogon's tactics when a lower tier Pokémon is the star player of the team.

EDIT: Also, in case you aren't aware, I'm a Gym Leader in the Prism League around here. In the Showdown division, they have no choice but to use Smogon's rulesets on certain banned Pokémon. Though I'm on the 3DS side, the same rules are applied. Yes, I (and perhaps other Leaders) may disagree with criteria on certain bans, and I even used Mega Mawile for a while; I did something more creative, but that aside, its Huge Power got disabled immediately and it got thrown off the battlefield by something it couldn't OHKO, then dragged back in for a Stealth Rock/Spikes KO. Wow, let's go ahead and ban something that people know how to deal with. It was actually a disadvantage for me to USE it because it was so notorious.

Unless this is supposed to be really pejorative, it seems to have very similar substance to what Aero said. Even though the language you use seems to be a little biased against what you're describing (we can't find ways to beat Mega Gar, Kanga, etc. because they pretty much don't exist/only serve the niche of countering that mon), it's pretty much the same. It seems like this is a semantic disagreement ("fixing" the game vs. promoting a competitive metagame) but both mean the same thing, in context. So I'm confused where the disagreement is.
    So Mega Mawile gets banned. The things meant to counter Mega Mawile end up becoming too powerful. They then get suspected.

It's a never-ending cycle. If you routinely ban things, then everything will at some point be banned.

Also, I'd bet a couple of Megas coming in OR/AS - though we haven't gotten to test them yet - will bring about the unbanning of a couple of these already-banned Megas.

Well then.

EDIT: I think most everyone would be willing to agree to disagree but "I laugh at Smogon!!!" and "biggest load of bull ever!!!" aren't exactly conciliatory/respectful. Just sayin'.
    The comment that "Smogon exists to 'fix' the game" is bull. It has nothing to do with Smogon or its members, just the perception given by that quote. Maybe if YOU read my post a little better, you'd understand that.

Last edited:

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

I really, legitimately- just wanted to talk about mega lopunny and Sableye lol

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I really, legitimately- just wanted to talk about mega lopunny and Sableye lol
    Well then.

Mega Lopunny - I am skeptical. I think it will gain increased use at first, but it will end up remaining underused.

Mega Sableye - I took regular Sableye out with one shot the other day, so the Mega lets it have more defenses. Which it needs to be a good asset against Fairy types in particular.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • rude post

I already addressed all of the points you made in previous posts. Like I said before--so please spare me the lecture about how I didn't read your post (itself fallacious lol!)--all of your points are invalid as they are usually a black-and-white, anecdotal, strawman, slippery slope, or some other fallacy. You just repeated ones I already refuted. So yeah, let's talk about Mega Sableye? x_x

...Which is going to be fun to try out. That's all I have to say, because, you know, speculation. Bring on ORAS etc. not going to pretend this segway was any less awkward than it is.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • I think mega Sableye would benefit from special defense a lot more then physical defense, really. If you look at its only weakness, fairy type, overall - it's primarily special. Play rough has better distribution that moonblast though; and that may be a good case for why it has more physical.

Y'know what would be THE BEST though; if they gave fairy more than only 4 viable options for attack moves :I

.Aero

Years
  • Personally I don't see why Fairy needs more moves. It has a 90BP Physical Move, and a 95BP Special Move (that also lowers SpA 1 stage). I mean perhaps MORE pokemon could get these two moves but other attacking moves aren't entirely necessary imo. A 120BP 70 accuracy move could be alright I guess. Status effects with lower base power for it don't necessarily make sense, as I can't imagine one that would cause paralysis / burn / etc. Maybe infatuation would be possible as an after effect of some moves.

I'm interested in seeing how Mega Sableye works too. I mean if you mega evolve with Prankster he'll still get his prankster -insert status move here- off before switching to Magic Bounce (assuming it works the way I think it would). Could be interesting. Access to Recover makes him even cooler as a wall imo.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Pixilate gives it a lot more.

Granted, right now, that's only on Sylveon.

And mega Gardevoir. I have to say in doubles -that specs sylveon with pixelate and hyper voice, along with just mega Gardevoir obviously minus the specs, is pretty annoying. You gotta deal with that quick. We needs something besides heatran that 4 x resists fairy. We have no poison / fire or poison / steel.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    And mega Gardevoir. I have to say in doubles -that specs sylveon with pixelate and hyper voice, along with just mega Gardevoir obviously minus the specs, is pretty annoying. You gotta deal with that quick. We needs something besides heatran that 4 x resists fairy. We have no poison / fire or poison / steel.
    I just facepalmed. I forgot that Gardevoir is part-Fairy (Gallade meanwhile has Fighting instead). Time to breed one for possible Gym team inclusion since I only have two Fairy types ATM.

I think I did have two from recent WTs, one with Telepathy and the other with a bunch of Egg Moves, that I can immediately breed together and pair the baby with a Ditto. The future difficulty is deciding which Mega to use in respective battles, but giving both the stones keeps options open if I find the team I am facing has more strengths against one than the other.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Imo we should discuss Anti's new forme?

Anti-Origin forme has been leaked by coro coro and its ability is "win this thread". Its quite powerful according to the mag and its new attacks of "you lose" and "logical argument" seem quite op, more than what the standard metagame can handle imo. His only counter seems to be Dark Cutezelf-Therian which has the potential to smite his path of rage.

Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Great design, i think this is my new fav pokemon. Also beats most of ou so a small risk it may go uber, but his cuteness probably will stop evil smogon banning him.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Imo we should discuss Anti's new forme?

Anti-Origin forme has been leaked by coro coro and its ability is "win this thread". Its quite powerful according to the mag and its new attacks of "you lose" and "logical argument" seem quite op, more than what the standard metagame can handle imo. His only counter seems to be Dark Cutezelf-Therian which has the potential to smite his path of rage.

Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Great design, i think this is my new fav pokemon. Also beats most of ou so a small risk it may go uber, but his cuteness probably will stop evil smogon banning him.
    omg too OP plz ban XD

Also, we need a pic of the other newly released poke.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back