• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I really hate stall, either using it or coming up against it (mainly because I can't sacrifice any moveslots for Taunt at this point). Even so I enjoy using Cofagrigus (stupid profanity filter), especially when the opponent brings out a Mega Lopunny and says "yeah, don't bother bringing in a Ghost-type, I got Scrappy", then I switch in the good ol' coffin and Scrappy is no more :)

On a different note, Avalugg is my joint-favourite Pokemon along with Drapion but I feel it got the short end of the stick with its abilities. Ice Body is decent but only if you have another hail-setter on your team - Avalugg simply can't sacrifice that extra moveslot. Sturdy is only good if you need at least one guaranteed turn of Rapid Spinning. This is kinda obsolete for me as my Avalugg isn't a spinner. Finally, Own Tempo CAN be helpful to deal with confusion from stall Pokemon but otherwise it's pointless.
    So here's what I think - one of these three abilities should be replaced with Analytic. Think about it:
    Super low speed + Curse (to lower it even more) + Gyro Ball (stronger the more opponent outspeeds you, made stronger by Curse's speed drop) + Analytics x1.5 boost to ANY move that hits last in the turn!
    Gyro Ball is already dangerous when wielded by Avalugg and even more so when you have a few speed drops, but imagine the CARNAGE you could cause if you had Analytic on top of all that! It'd also give a nice, deadly power boost to Avalugg's most reliable move Avalanche.
    Maybe there could be a Mega Avalugg on the horizon.....

Years
    Mega Lopunny is one of those Pokémon that sounds like it would be fun to build a team around. Too bad Mummy doesn't go against Exploud's Boombursts.

Avalugg is one of those Pokémon that really could have worked, but sadly it comes off as another weak Defensive Ice-type thanks to its low Special Defense. It's like Aggron without all those resistances.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Quick stall is basically using quicker, less defensive pokemon to cripple the opposition and support the team and straying away from slower, easier to exploit pokemon such as Chansey. Its basically a sub version of semi stall. Think things like Mew, Klefki, Taunt Wisp Talonflame, Excadrill, Gengar, Garchomp, Lando, Latias, Rotom, Glis etc. You can still more conventional stall cores or something like VenuTran if you want tho.

Last edited:

2Fruit

Aka 2Fruit
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2019
    I absolutely love stall for a few reasons.

I cherish my pokemon alot. It's one thing for me to knock out an opposing pokemon, but if I lose my own, It's like a general losing one of his troops. If I can build a team that can withstand the test of time, in the face of even the strongest attacks, then that's more than enough for me.

Another thing I like is how my stall and defense team members all support each other. Some pokemon lay Status on the enemy, one on my team cures my team. Because pokemon Like Ferrothorn don't have direct recovery, I can use wish to heal them. Some pokemon counter specific threats, and when they aren't needed, I switch them out. Some have knock off, others have Screens or roar/Dragon tail.

When I come across opponents with powerful attackers, It's really interesting to use stall to control the pace of the battle. Where else can I play defensive in a game focused on Offence.

Years
    Mega Lopunny is one of those Pokémon that sounds like it would be fun to build a team around. Too bad Mummy doesn't go against Exploud's Boombursts.

Avalugg is one of those Pokémon that really could have worked, but sadly it comes off as another weak Defensive Ice-type thanks to its low Special Defense. It's like Aggron without all those resistances.

That's true, but since Exploud is the only special-attacking Scrappy user that I know of and I've never seen anyone use it, Mummy is almost unhindered. It's a shame, though - Exploud is a much better Boomburst user than Noivern because it gets STAB. Plus Exploud only has one weakness, Ghost immunity and decent Special Defense. Assault Vest it and slap it on a Trick Room team to reverse its abysmal speed and BOOM, sweep city!

I won't deny that Avalugg has the worst typing for a defensive role, with only one resistance, no immunities and four weaknesses. But with max defense EVs. perfect defense IVs and a defense-boosting nature (heck, even one or two of those things is enough!), plus as much HP investment as possible, Avalugg can take even supereffective physical hits easily. Mine even took a Head Smash from a 252 ATK EV, Adamant Archeops and survived with 62 HP! That's the strongest Rock-Type move aside from Rock Wrecker!
    As long as the hit's physical, Avalugg can probably take a few of 'em! The abilities still suck, though....

That's true, but since Exploud is the only special-attacking Scrappy user that I know of and I've never seen anyone use it, Mummy is almost unhindered. It's a shame, though - Exploud is a much better Boomburst user than Noivern because it gets STAB. Plus Exploud only has one weakness, Ghost immunity and decent Special Defense. Assault Vest it and slap it on a Trick Room team to reverse its abysmal speed and BOOM, sweep city!

I won't deny that Avalugg has the worst typing for a defensive role, with only one resistance, no immunities and four weaknesses. But with max defense EVs. perfect defense IVs and a defense-boosting nature (heck, even one or two of those things is enough!), plus as much HP investment as possible, Avalugg can take even supereffective physical hits easily. Mine even took a Head Smash from a 252 ATK EV, Adamant Archeops and survived with 62 HP! That's the strongest Rock-Type move aside from Rock Wrecker!
    As long as the hit's physical, Avalugg can probably take a few of 'em! The abilities still suck, though....

Plus, Ice is my favourite type. Nuff said.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I won't deny that Avalugg has the worst typing for a defensive role, with only one resistance, no immunities and four weaknesses.
    With one of those weaknesses being a common entry hazard. No wall likes losing 25% of it's HP by merely switching in. Then again: in Inverse battles Ice is probably one of the best defensive types.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    My first battle went well. My Kingdra scared away a Blaziken long enough to set up Focus Energy... you can guess what happened next.

My brother's first battle was against 3 shiny Pokemon - including Mega Salamence. He still won.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    If anyone's registered for the Battle of Hoenn, how's everyone doing in it?

On the first day, I ended on 6-4. Not the best, but I can live with it.

Team (don't click the spoiler if you don't want to know what I use):
    Spoiler:

Note: this team was put together on such short notice, so it may not be the best.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Scored 7-3 yesterday and 6-4 today. Metagross are hard to kill :( but I've managed on a handful of occasions with clever switches.

Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
    Careful
    Poison Heal
    - Leech Seed
    - Spore
    - Drain Punch
    - Protect
    252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpD

Swampert @ Swampertite
    Adamant
    Torrent
    - Protect
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def

Torkoal @ Sitrus Berry
    Bold
    Shell Armor
    - Rapid Spin
    - Yawn
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    252 HP/252 Def/4 SpAtk

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
    Bold
    Sturdy
    - Toxic
    - Roost
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd

Sableye @ Leftovers
    Calm
    Prankster
    - Will-o-Wisp
    - Foul Play
    - Recover
    - Taunt
    252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
    Timid
    Trace
    - Moonblast
    - Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt
    - Encore
    252 SpAtk/4 SpDef/252 Spd

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Arggggh - is it still too late to sign up? I want in on this. What's the ruleset / details?

You're already too late.

Here are the rules:
    -only Pokemon in the new Hoenn Dex can be entered; they'll be set to level 50 if they're at or above that
    -item clause: unique item per team member
    -no Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi or Deoxys
    -only Pokemon that originated from X/Y and OR/AS are allowed

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    why do you have arbitrary links in your post? o_0

I copied it over from a different thread and the ads came along with it. I'll edit them out.

Arggggh - is it still too late to sign up? I want in on this. What's the ruleset / details?

PlatinumDude's got it right, but you're in luck, because there's another tournament coming up in a couple weeks:

https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Generation_Showdown_Wi-Fi_tournament_announced

I'm debating on Kyurem-W + Lugia, or Yveltal + Mega Mewtwo X.

Last edited by a moderator:

srinator

wait so keldeo is banned but mega mewtwo's eetc aren't? rofl

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I have always thought that the ban-list for cartridge competitions was a little messed up. Regular Kyurem is not broken, lemme use it in rating battles and the Battle Maison!

Yeah actually how do you sign-up for one of those battle competitions? This Generation showdown thing gives me an excuse to wreck people with Zekrom in a tourney lol.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    I can see why Mythical (Event Legendary) Pokemon hang out on the ban list for tournaments like this, because even though I enjoy using Keldeo, Diancie and Mew, they do present a certain disadvantage to people who weren't in the right place at the right time or haven't networked well enough to find one of them.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    Woooo thanks for the heads up zeffy. (Phone wanted to autocorrect your name to zedgy for some reason. 2zedgy4me) I'll probably hop on that one. Legend flooded as it will be; I must show the world dunsparces ability to dance with ubers.

And agreed sky. In scenarios where you can't one click a pokemon into your posession, then set its Ivs nature and moves with another click or two, it would make sense to give a little leveling to the playing field.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Day 2 of the Hoenn competition.

Ended on a 14-6. Much better than last time.

Here's a reversal finish I managed to pull off, even though there were some misplays on both sides: ZQ2W-WWWW-WWX4-M54C

After seeing the opponent's Salamence use Dragon Dance, I expected it to finish off Starmie with Outrage (or Return, but it didn't Mega), but it went for Draco Meteor instead. Why a Dragon Dance Salamence would use Draco Meteor is beyond me. Before that, a Switcheroo Seviper locked Starmie into Psyshock.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back