• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Were you completely finished with the Pokédex project immediately after the E4?

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    So, in Platinum, you must see all 210 Pocket Monsters to obtain the National Dex and so on.

Right after the Elite Four, were you ready to go pick up the National Dex thanks to 210 already complete entries (be it sight or capture), or did you have to do a little bit of hunting first?

If you didn't have them all, which Pocket Monsters did you miss along the way? (or perhaps still missing)

Immediately following the Elite Four, I had seen 203 Pocket Monsters.

Seven Pocket Monsters I hadn't completed yet were Finneon #134, Feebas #138, Uxie Mespirit and Azelf (#146 - 8), Rotom #152, and last but never least, Togetic #174.

I planned on missing Rotom and the Trio so I could soft-reset for them later, and I'd simply trade 'em over from Diamond to complete the dex. So only three caught me off guard... all in thanks to me rushing through the game and not facing all the trainers, lol. :P I just had to go to Route 222 and battle the fisherman, and another trainer on Route 221 for Togetic.

So, done right away? If not, what'd ya miss?

Note: this thread can apply to Diamond and Pearl versions as well.

Valeran

Miserable Memories
    Years
    I made sure to see them all before hand. I had to go catch Azelf and Uxie though, I thought they were automatically added when you free them. I had also used repels all the way through the Victory Road so I had to go back to see Rhydon. Then I battled my Rival, beat the Elite 4 and had it done.

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    i don't really bother with the dex.. only getting the national dex and if i can get some pokemon..

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Don't you have to see 151 Pokemon in Platinum?
    I wait until after I beat the Elite Four to unlock the National Dex, since you can immediately see the effects of your efforts, with places being unlocked.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Due to battling every trainer (and Rotom), I'd seen everything bar the Lake Trio and Unown (somehow, despite never using any Repels, I didn't see any at all). I got those from Pearl, so it's all good ;)

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    Don't you have to see 151 Pokemon in Platinum?
    I wait until after I beat the Elite Four to unlock the National Dex, since you can immediately see the effects of your efforts, with places being unlocked.
    Platinum pokedex expamds adding more 60 pokemon to the pokedex (210 total)

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    By the end of the game, I was missing Leafeon, Glaceon, and Umbreon. I was also missing Rotom, and the lake trio. =\

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    First off I missed the Lake Trio, which I didn't try to capture before beating the E4.

I had 180-something Pokemon in the 'Dex when I beat Cynthia, and I'm still hunting for Wormadam, Happiny, Riolu (never went through Iron Isle), whoever comes after Snorlax and Lucario, Hippopotas, 133-136, and Feebas.

[incredibly lazy]

Years
    I was pretty lucky in Platinum. After defeating the Elite Four, I only had two missing entries. Rotom and Manaphy. However, I had no idea where to see them, so I did have to ask around. >_>

Eventually I figured out that Rotom was in the TV in that creepy mansion at night, and that Manaphy was in a book in that house beside the Trophy Garden. Usually I don't have any trouble filling the Pokedex because I battle nearly every trainer I see, but I always miss the hidden pokemon in books, bleh. :P

Years
    Before I faced the Elite Four, I made sure my Pokedex was as full as it could be (the E4 had some Pokemon that I hadn't seen yet, but it was complete aside from those). So, right after I beat them, I was able to get the National Dex. :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Before I faced the Elite Four, I made sure my Pokedex was as full as it could be. So, right after I beat them, I was able to get the National Dex.

See the above. I actually waited until after I had defeated the rival for the "last" time, then went back and made certain that I had seen every single Pokemon that I could, so that defeating the Elite Four would also finish my Sinnoh Pokedex. I had already taken care of Rotom and Manaphy earlier in the game, so all that I needed to worry about was a random trainer or two and the Psychic Trio.

Of course, since you also included Diamond and Pearl in this, I should mention that one of those was actually a bit different. In Pearl, I used my completed Diamond version in order to obtain the National Pokedex before even defeating Volkner, which is how I know for a fact that it can be done.

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
    Years
    Luckily, I saw them all before even thinking of facing the E4, battling EVERY In-game Trainer my screen saw. And it was worth it. I transfered Rotom, the Trio, and Manaphy from my Pearl, so I could SR for them later, and I bred 7 different Eevee for the E.V.Lutions. The rest... meh.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Umm, I had to go and see Rotom, Unown, the Pixies, and Manaphy.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2010
    I Think I Just Needed 20 pokemon to complete it
    and while in the elite four i got some more

Back