• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Were you disappointed in no Z?

Sirfetch’d

Interesting point! For me, I felt Kalos was...incomplete, yet drawn out? Perhaps this is how i feel about 6th gen in general, but there wasn't a whole lot to see or experience for me. There are some points to be made about the backstories and legends of new Pokemon like Hoopa, Volcanion, and Diancie (as well as Zygarde) but there's also a counterargument to be made that in Gen V, no actual story was provided for additional legendaries like Heatran, Genesect, and Meloetta (not including the movies about this, strictly speaking gameplay, here). So maybe X/Y was all there was to exploring Kalos.

What more can we learn from Team Flare than what we already know? They don't really seem like that interesting of an evil team to warrant a re-boot of any kind.

Yeah I feel like XY focused so much in improved gameplay, smoother graphics, mega evolution, etc. that the story itself was a bit neglected thus leaving Kalos feeling incomplete. Z most likely would have remedied this but we can only assume that GF was happy with how XY ended or just wants to start fresh.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    New games generally do produce more excitement because they are well..new! They come with speculation. That said, finishing Kalos sounds exciting for some people because XY were so incomplete really. At least that is my opinion on why some people might have preferred to get Z.

For all we know these two games can pick up Kalos somewhere in the story. Just like GSC did for RBY. I feel as if people aren't viewing this as a possibility (and it's a very strong possibility I might add), and are concluding this is just its own seperate entity. It doesn't make sense for GF to just drop Zygrade like that, especially with all that's going on in the anime. It's likely we will see some Zygrade follow up somewhere in the main-story, or during the post-story. Perhaps the environment is greatly affected due to some major effect from the Sun/Moon?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    What if we get a surprise Pokemon Z right before Sun and Moon ?
    Why would they do a surprise game though?

What more can we learn from Team Flare than what we already know? They don't really seem like that interesting of an evil team to warrant a re-boot of any kind.
    They could like.....actually give Lysandre some backstory or something. idk

Sirfetch’d

IMO, I think the purpose of Kalos was just to play around with Mega-Evolution as a general concept, and with the release of ORAS, it added more to that. Perhaps they'll slow down a tad bit with Mega-Evolutions with this new region and focus a bit more on regular evos? What do you think?

Well ORAS was the big "mega evolution game" so I do expect them to dial back some on promoting it. I am sure we will get many more but I hope it doesn't become the focus of the game. Maybe you'll just get your mega bracelet early with an explaination of how it works and then that is the blunt of it. I don't want it to become over centralizing in every Pokemon game now.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
    I can most likely see Mega Evolution being introduced after the main story with a brief summary of what it is and such. Probably be introduced when you get a "gift Pokemon" (Starter that has a new ME, Sinnoh Starters?) and some how obtain the required elements to Mega Evolve around that point in time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2017
    I wouldn't say we're not getting Z just yet. It may be like that we'll get Z after we get Sun and Moon. They've gotta use Zygarde's new formes somehow.

Eh, I don't think so... I doubt they'd release a game from the previous generation even after announcing the next generation, let alone after releasing said generation. X and Y weren't announced until after the release of Black 2 and White 2.

But hey, they could pull another surprise by releasing Z as a Generation VII game.

Years
    As cool as it would be to see a "Z" version released after Sun & Moon, it's likely not going to happen given it wouldn't be right to release a previous-gen game during a new generation, not counting remakes obviously.

Years
    Why would they do a surprise game though?

I don't think it will happen, but just to play devil's advocate they are releasing so many pokémon games this year that they might attempt a new release strategy on one of the least important releases to see how it does. If they hype up S&M then whilst presenting it at E3 they say 'oh and we worked on Z you can download it for $30 at midnight and it comes with free new legendary on S&M/S&M demo/only way to get Volcanion', then it might work for them.

Honestly I hope there is no Z and definitely no Zygarde complete forme. Zygarde is the worst designed legendary out of all them so far and the complete forme managed to take that to new extremes. New games are much more exciting.

My only worry with this new game is that Nintendo might announce a new handheld and this will seem obsolete immediately like B/W did or even worse that this is only available on the 'new 3DS'.

Years
    My only worry with this new game is that Nintendo might announce a new handheld and this will seem obsolete immediately like B/W did or even worse that this is only available on the 'new 3DS'.

I don't think that'll be the case. That would essentially be shunning out certain people just because they haven't upgraded, and while we have had some games only playable on the New 3DS, I don't think they'd do it with a popular franchise like Pokemon. The best thing I'd see is likely enhanced features for New 3DS players.

Years
    I don't think that'll be the case. That would essentially be shunning out certain people just because they haven't upgraded, and while we have had some games only playable on the New 3DS, I don't think they'd do it with a popular franchise like Pokemon. The best thing I'd see is likely enhanced features for New 3DS players.

Well I'm definitely more worried about the new console thing than it being a 'new 3DS' game. The logical thing to do would be to allow New 3DS players some enhanced features as you say. Possibly some amiibo related minigames.

pkmin3033

Well I'm definitely more worried about the new console thing than it being a 'new 3DS' game. The logical thing to do would be to allow New 3DS players some enhanced features as you say. Possibly some amiibo related minigames.

I can't see this being a New 3DS exclusive...much as a part of me would like it to be, because Nintendo need to make some more games for that handheld already. I can't see N3DS getting exclusive features either, because it'd upset a lot of fans who don't have one. BUT I would expect the games to run substantially better on the N3DS than the 3DS, like Hyrule Warriors Legends. I think, now that they've had their trial run in XY and ORAS and made the N3DS a thing, they'll push the processing power of the handheld a little more. At least, I hope that's the case...

Years
    I am kinda bummed it isn't Z. I know it isn't really confirmed that Sun and Moon aren't taking place in Kalos, but I would like them to be because I think that Kalos has more to offer than it did in X and Y. I feel as if X and Y were rushed and would love to see a new Kalos game.

But still really hyped for Sun and Moon!

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I would like more backstory on team plasma, or team galactic. Team flare was just stupid.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2023
    Honestly, I'm very satisfied with having a new gen. One of my main worries was a Pokemon Z being revealed. I understand that there are some things left in Kalos, but I was quite ready to leave that region behind. Of course, we don't 100% know that we are leaving Kalos in SM (Though it's pretty safe to say we are), or if there will be a Z later down the line.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    Nope, 6th gen had the least interesting story and most boring region of all the franchise (also the slackest evil gang, Team Flare). Despite being short, I haven't even completed the post-game (the legendary bird is just flying around and I'm not in the mood to pursuit it all over the region, being forced to face it 50 times just to let it escape), so yes, thanks God there's no Z version.

Zakariya

What happens in the dark, comes out in light.
    Years
    I am not disappointed by Z's absence, I'm disappointed that Generation VI is being swept under the rug so quickly and ending so soon. Even if it wasn't being received as well as others, it still deserved a chance at improvement.

What I would have preferred is sequels to X & Y that were given the same level of content (if not more) as Black & White 2 rather than a "Z" version. This would have motivated people to continue playing the games, and generally improve the feedback.

If X & Y and ORAS had a Battle Frontier and the amount of content shown in BW 2 along with generally more work put into them, their reception would have been considerably better. Honestly, it seems that Gamefreak cared very little for Generation VI, and the fact that they are abandoning it this soon seems suspicious. :\

I'm willing to give the next generation a chance IF the number of new Pokemon is high, nostalgia is ignored, and Gamefreak puts a good amount of effort into it this time.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I am not disappointed by Z's absence, I'm disappointed that Generation VI is being swept under the rug so quickly and ending so soon. Even if it wasn't being received as well as others, it still deserved a chance at improvement.

What I would have preferred is sequels to X & Y that were given the same level of content (if not more) as Black & White 2 rather than a "Z" version. This would have motivated people to continue playing the games, and generally improve the feedback.

If X & Y and ORAS had a Battle Frontier and the amount of content shown in BW 2 along with generally more work put into them, their reception would have been considerably better. Honestly, it seems that Gamefreak cared very little for Generation VI, and the fact that they are abandoning it this soon seems suspicious. :\
    i feel the same way. Why do they wanna start a new gen SO SOON? Just to throw it away AGAIN? They sure know how to hype us up for a new gen but they just can't handle it !
    Seriously, a new gen, already? Sounds like joke to me.
    I'm willing to give the next generation a chance IF the number of new Pokemon is high, nostalgia is ignored, and Gamefreak puts a good amount of effort into it this time.
    i feel the same way. Why do they wanna start a new gen SO SOON? Just to throw it away AGAIN? They sure know how to hype us up for a new gen but they just can't handle it !

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I suppose the odd thing though is that it's actually not too soon. ~3 years is pretty common for a generation's life span. Going by North American release dates:

Gen 1: 1998-2000
    Gen 2: 2000-2003
    Gen 3: 2003-2007
    Gen 4: 2007-2010
    Gen 5: 2010-2013
    Gen 6: 2013-2016

But yet this does feel a little shorter or soon for some reason.

Zakariya

What happens in the dark, comes out in light.
    Years
    i feel the same way. Why do they wanna start a new gen SO SOON?

It's easy to say that it's for the sake of money, but there are numerous things that can debunk that theory, and the length of the fourth generation (which was four years or more, depending on how you look at it).

I can say part of it is more than likely the poor reception Generation VI is having if you compare it to how the others were received. Some people have given it nothing other than praise, but there's a blatant amount of people who think earlier generations (that aren't blinded by nostalgia in the slightest) are superior.

It's probably like what Nintendo is doing with the Wii-U; instead of trying to improve its situation, they're just going to make something new in hopes that it'll do better.

They sure know how to hype us up for a new gen but they just can't handle it !

Regardless of their reasons, this new generation could end up being successful and profitable to the point where it lasts as long as Generation IV worldwide.

The new generation deserves a chance, though Gamefreak will definitely have to abandon nostalgia completely and just focus on THE PRESENT. One thing they need to do is just re-release old games for people who prefer outdated content. Gamefreak has been around long enough to know that fixation on nostalgia will do more harm than good in terms of game development.

Paying attention to nostalgia is okay if you're doing an anniversary game or remake, but even then you need to think about updating and adding new features into it.

Last edited:

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
    I can confidently say that I much happier with Sun and Moon then I ever would have been with Z. This comes from the fact that everyone believed Z would be next, leaving me not as excited and eventually not as surprised if Z indeed was the next game. With these title announcements coming out of left field though, I'm all aboard the Hype Train and can't wait for them to come out. I don't even know what to do with all this energy I have now, knowing Sun and Moon are so close to fruition.

Back