• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Were you disappointed in no Z?

Years
  • No. I'm not dissapointed whatever.

I would've been looking forward to a third version, had they released it in October, and announced it last year personally. Far too much time dragged on for me to keep on caring about it.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • Personally, I was a little disappointed. Though like a lot of other people, at this point I was just wanting to move on and see what's next.

Part of me wonders if we'll still get a Z in some form. Originally, I suspected that Z will get announced and released before Sun/Moon. It doesn't seem too Farfetch'd, but I can't imagine them releasing two sets of main series games in the same year. There's still the possibility of Z getting released after Sun/Moon which makes me think of Sun/Moon being a sequel to XY and then Z being a third version to tie both stories together and end. So it'd be a trans-generational story. Seems a bit out there, though.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I'm more disappointed in that they're still doing the 2 versions thing.

That's never not going to be a thing :P Gotta catch buy 'em all will always be GameFreak's slogan.

While I'll happily embrace a 7th generation, I still can't help but feel that 6th generation is unfinished. In fact, at this stage, it seems clear that a third version or a continuation of Kalos in some form or another was always planned. Between the loose ends and unused data left over in Kalos, and the fact that we didn't get a main-series game in 2015, I wonder if Z was planned for 2015 but it never got off the ground for one reason or another. That's all just a guess though, we don't know anything for sure yet! For all we know Z could still be hitting the shelves at a future date (unusual though that would be, nothing would surprise me with all the precedents that have already been broken)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Gen 6 was the most disappointing generation overall. Barely any Post Game, ORAS didn't even got the Battle Frontier and instead got that copy/paste of Battle Maison.The story was mostly inexistant past Korrina.

I just fear Sun and Moon will just be the same old formula with barely any story development.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Sort of. I wasn't hoping for Z or a 3rd version specifically, but rather just another Kalos game. I feel like the region was screwed over a bit because it had the....misfortune of being the first pair of the generation. Liked features in past games have a tendency to be missing from the first pair of a new generation, and for like no reason too. The 3rd versions have always been pretty much straight upgrades of the original pair (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum are all arguably better than Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, and Diamond/Pearl), and you don't have to do a third version either to make a better game (Black2/White2 is, in some ways, an improvement over Black/White). I feel like Kalos has some potential and it's a little sad to see them not bother trying anymore with it. Even if does make an appearance in Sun/Moon as an extra region a la Kanto in the Johto games, it's likely to just be tacked on rather than made better. it would've been great for my section too if we got another Kalos game :(

You better make Sun and Moon really good then, Game Freak.

And btw, Pokemon Sun and Moon just sound so trivial and un original names.
    I mean, none of the games of the games are terribly great; it's been all letters and colors and gems really.

Years
  • There seems to be a lot of confusion around whether Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon will be Generation VI or Generation VII games. It is confirmed that this is an entirely new generation is not our third/sequel game.

The UK press release states:
    Newest Generation of Pokémon Core Series Games coming to Nintendo 3DS Late 2016

The Official Site states:
    As we celebrate 20 years since the launch of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green in Japan, the next era of Pokémon games is being announced! Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are coming out for systems in the Nintendo 3DS family in holiday 2016, with a new world, new Pokémon, and new adventures to discover!

It does bring up the question about Z, Zygarde and the unanswered questions from X and Y, but hey ho. In fact, I am much more excited for a new generation!

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I, for one, am glad we're getting Gen 7 instead of another Kalos game. How boring and predictable would've Z or X2Y2 been? Everyone and their mother was expecting either to happen, and the big 20th Anniversary game needed to be something more special and exciting than that. Plus, I think too much time has passed since XY to continue Gen 6, anyways. New Gens have traditionally been 3-4 years apart, so we're about due for Gen 7, anyways.

(Plus, there's always the possibility that SM could still be XY sequels in the same way as GSC were RBY sequels, although I'd rather just move on from Kalos and leave it in the past.)

Yes, it does mean that Zygarde will be getting shafted in the games, but it wouldn't be the first time that a Legendary got its backstory from the anime instead of the games. Remember Mewtwo, Lugia, and Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres? They had next-to-no story in RBY and GSC, and just about everything we know about them came from the first two movies.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Yes, it does mean that Zygarde will be getting shafted in the games, but it wouldn't be the first time that a Legendary got its backstory from the anime instead of the games. Remember Mewtwo, Lugia, and Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres? They had next-to-no story in RBY and GSC, and just about everything we know about them came from the first two movies.

While true, that's a bit different from the situation we have with Zygarde. In RBY, there were at least references to Mewtwo's backstory, a la the various notes scattered across the old laboratory explaining Mewtwo's creation. But in X & Y, Zygarde is never even mentioned or referenced outside the Pokedex, much less its backstory explained. Not saying this means that we're still going to get Z, but it's one of the many things that would make 6th gen unusual if we don't.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I really liked Kalos, but only ever played through it once because I expected a third version. So I'm a little bit disappointed that we didn't get that, I'll admit, but at the same time, it doesn't bother me too much. I don't wanna restart so I might just pick up Pokemon Y to complete the set sometime and play through it again that way.

I'm disappointed, sure, but still really excited about new games!!

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    I am very happy that we are going to have an all new adventure, good for anime too,
    as it means that there wont be horrible amounts of filler.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • I feel like I am one of the few people that enjoyed X/Y (Maybe because B/W was complete garbage, lol). I think the main issue I took from that Gen was the post-game was severely lacking, so I'm pretty sure due to all the complaints that they received this new gen would step it up since I believe that Pokemon truly does care about their fanbase.

I'm mildly upset, but who can complain about a new gen?
    It's definitely a shock that they're releasing a new gen before a sequel, though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    While true, that's a bit different from the situation we have with Zygarde. In RBY, there were at least references to Mewtwo's backstory, a la the various notes scattered across the old laboratory explaining Mewtwo's creation. But in X & Y, Zygarde is never even mentioned or referenced outside the Pokedex, much less its backstory explained. Not saying this means that we're still going to get Z, but it's one of the many things that would make 6th gen unusual if we don't.

Those notes barely constituted a backstory, and the Team Rocket stuff which made up the core of Mewtwo's anime backstory was never actually in the games. Nothing in RBY explicitly connected Giovanni/TR to Mewtwo's creation.

And, you can't make that same argument for Lugia and the Bird Trio at all. They didn't even have anything as significant as notes in a laboratory in the games. Nothing from the games explicitly linked them together. (Heck, discounting events, Lugia and the Bird Trio were not even catchable in the same game together until HGSS, and they still had no backstory there.)

I could easily see Zygarde being a case similar to Lugia and the Bird Trio, ignored in the games but gets fleshed out in its own movie. In fact, this was pretty much the norm for Legendaries before Crystal and especially RSE.

Sirfetch’d

I feel like I am one of the few people that enjoyed X/Y (Maybe because B/W was complete garbage, lol). I think the main issue I took from that Gen was the post-game was severely lacking, so I'm pretty sure due to all the complaints that they received this new gen would step it up since I believe that Pokemon truly does care about their fanbase.

I think it's quite common for the original releases of games to have a very lacking post-game. I enjoyed XY a ton too but was really looking forward to Z adding a much more interesting post-game haha. Though as you said, it's hard not to be excited for new games so I am unbelievably hyped right now :)

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Those notes barely constituted a backstory, and the Team Rocket stuff which made up the core of Mewtwo's anime backstory was never actually in the games. Nothing in RBY explicitly connected Giovanni/TR to Mewtwo's creation.

And, you can't make that same argument for Lugia and the Bird Trio at all. They didn't even have anything as significant as notes in a laboratory in the games. Nothing from the games explicitly linked them together. (Heck, discounting events, Lugia and the Bird Trio were not even catchable in the same game together until HGSS, and they still had no backstory there.)

I could easily see Zygarde being a case similar to Lugia and the Bird Trio, ignored in the games but gets fleshed out in its own movie. In fact, this was pretty much the norm for Legendaries before Crystal and especially RSE.

Yea, I guess that's true about the Bird Trio. Shame though, I was hoping to see some cool action-packed cutscenes of Zygarde smacking down a rampaging Xerneas and Yveltal, but eh, it's been long enough since I've even played through X&Y's story that I can't bring myself to be too disappointed about it haha

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • I think it's quite common for the original releases of games to have a very lacking post-game. I enjoyed XY a ton too but was really looking forward to Z adding a much more interesting post-game haha. Though as you said, it's hard not to be excited for new games so I am unbelievably hyped right now :)

I meant lacking in terms of all the other games, I agree that the post-games tend to be real short, but the one in X/Y felt especially short, I don't even really remember it.

Crin

Life is all about choices
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    As excited as I am for Sun/Moon, I'd be lying if I said I'm not dissapointed that Pokemon Z isn't happening. Kalos has so much potential as a region. I think a third game would compliment and improve on so many aspects of X and Y

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I am upset, I wanted to know more of Zygarde's story. However, I expected gen 7 to start soon since it's been 3 years since X and Y were released. It was due time. I'm still really excited for Sun and Moon though!! I can't wait to explore a new generation. I like this theory that the new region and Kalos are connected somehow, so maybe we will still get some backstory on Zygarde.

Back