• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What 3 starters would be perfect for a game containing all the worlds?

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I would choose
    • Turtwig (Some badass evolution! :D)
    • Charmander (Duh... dragon! RAWR!:10:)
    • Mudkip (Water+Ground= pwnage)
    Or, perhaps...

• Chikorita (Look at the leaf on its head!:5: And Meganium's kewl)
    • Torchic (Blaziken could totally kill you, and you know it.)
    • Piplup (piplup! pipluuuup! pip pip!)
    Considering what Fable said about no Generation IV pokemon, here's another list:

• Chikorita (:5:need any more reason?)
    • Charmander (RAWR!:10:)
    • Mudkip (*evolves* try hitting me with Thunderbolt.....:t260:)
    This is all in an attempt to never use the same generation twice.

Pikazard

Team Rocket and Team magma fan
    Years
    New starter types they would be: Ground Gible Rock Ryhorn and electrick:shinx

Even thought their not all super effective and not very effective against each other!

Korronensu

Scrap Punk
    Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2010
    Types.... Ice, Steel, Dragon

Spheal, Aron, Dratini (without dragon rage)

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2010
    Mine will come with explanations.

Johto: Cyndaquill (chickorita is only useful in one gym so why have it take up space.)
    Kanto: Charmander (its useful in all of the gyms except for the first and second one.)
    Hoenn: Mudkip (useful in every single gym.)
    Sinnoh: Chimchar (the bump is the first gym, but after that it is dead useful especially in the elite four.)

There you have it.

Black Dunsparce

Black is better!
    Years
    Alright, here it is. I made sure each one has two evolutions.

Normal Starters:
    Chikorita, Grass.
    Dratini, Water/Dragon.
    Charmander, Fire.

New Starters:
    Larvitar, Rock/Ground.
    Ralts, Ghost.
    Togepi, Normal.

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    A Dragon starter would be overused by new players, but awesome. c:

Anywho, I'd go for Totodile, Mudkip, and Charmander. XP

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Alright, here it is. I made sure each one has two evolutions.

Normal Starters:
    Chikorita, Grass.
    Dratini, Water/Dragon.
    Charmander, Fire.

New Starters:
    Larvitar, Rock/Ground.
    Ralts, Ghost.
    Togepi, Normal.

Err.. Dratini is only Dragon type, and Ralts is Psychic. O_o

Anyways, just for everyone to know, Nintendo is probably never going to change out of the old Fire/Grass/Water cycle. Also, Fighting/Dark/Psychic and Electric/Flying/Ground won't work either, because the resistances are not equal. (i.e., Water is not very effective (nve) against Grass, Grass is nve against Fire, Fire is nve against Water. Dark is nve against Fighting, Fighting is nve against Psychic, but Psychic does no damage to Dark.)

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2008
    Turtwig, Mudkip and Torchic!

Anyways, just for everyone to know, Nintendo is probably never going to change out of the old Fire/Grass/Water cycle. Also, Fighting/Dark/Psychic and Electric/Flying/Ground won't work either, because the resistances are not equal. (i.e., Water is not very effective (nve) against Grass, Grass is nve against Fire, Fire is nve against Water. Dark is nve against Fighting, Fighting is nve against Psychic, but Psychic does no damage to Dark.)
    Exactly. No better way to explain this.

Last edited:

Black Dunsparce

Black is better!
    Years

Sorry about that, thanks for correcting me. And of course Nintendo is never going to do this, its just fun suggestiong other options for starters.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    How about Chinchou, Taillow, and Exeggcute? Thats a triangle that works! Its possible. Might need a different Flying... If there was a Skarmory Pre-Evo...

Years
    Slugma [Fire]
    Barboach [Water] [Ground]
    Snover [Grass] [Ice]

I think this is fair.
    Three slow Pokemon? I don't think I would have the patience for that. Just training Slugma and then dealing with Magcargo in my latest Sapphire was enough. =P

...and on the note of Snover, that has to be one of the worst type combo's ever created. I really have to wonder what incentive they give for people to use it.

Ashen

※ あなたを…
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2009
    Chikorita, Torchic, Piplup.

I'd love to see Cyndaquil in there, but if you're going to have all the regions, it's best to have something from each region (sans Kanto, unfortunately). For the Kanto starters, it could be something like from Yellow version, where someone would have the starters to give you.

Years
    If there existed a game with all the regions, I'd like to be able to choose which region you started the game from. It would be nice to have the available starter Pokemon depend on the region you chose as your starting region. For example, if you started from Hoenn, you'd get to pick from Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip, or if you started from Kanto, you'd get to pick from Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle.

If I had to pick a list of three starters to make one starter set, though, here's who I'd pick:

Grass: Chikorita (Johto)
    Fire: Charmander (Kanto)
    Water: Mudkip (Hoenn)

Back