• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What ability should Mega Smeargle get?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So let's presume one day Smeargle got a Mega Evolution and it's ability changed. Obviously it would depend on what stats got boosted but let's (for the sake of argument) just say he got a 30 point boost in every base stat right across the board. What ability would make it amazing and why? (Wonder Guard not being elgible for this! also, it has to be an ability that actually exists, not a fantasy ability you would like him to have)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm not sure if any ability could specifically this suit this Pokémon, to be exact. In its own way, Smeargle is pretty special. Its offensive stats are not good, and neither its health or defenses, but it could learn any move out there that exist in-game, and it makes this Pokémon stand out by hundreds of miles. Due to that, it's usually utilized as a support, so that you could gain stats boost and pass it onto your teammates, set up entry hazards, and so forth.

They've tried giving it Moody before, but it didn't work out too well. The ability would lower one of Smeargle's stat at random, and sharply raise another, if I'm not mistaken, which was considered to be sort of broken. Due to that, it was banned from competitive play. If it winds up getting something such as Intimidate, I suppose it could be useful in some regard, like when going up against physical attackers. What I would personally like to see, however, is for it to somehow gain Magic Bounce. This one would be quite helpful, if you ask me. Most of the time, strategies that we tend to use with Smeargle--which involves using non-damaging moves--get crippled pretty easily when foes use Taunt. If it had Magic Bounce, that could easily be avoided, I believe, and we'd finally be able to carry out our plans thoroughly without any interference.

Also, this thread would fit better in Pokémon Gaming Central as it's kind of a broad topic, so if you don't mind, I'm moving it there for you!

Moved.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • When I first saw this thead, I thought of Protean.
    If I'm not mistaken, Smeargle can somehow change the color of the paint
    on it's tail at will, so I think Protean could fit it.

But like Endless said, Magic Bounce would benefit it the most & would be the ability
    I'd like to see on Mega Smeargle.

Whyvile

Toot your horns
    Years
  • Prankster, definitely. It would be unstoppable. Instant Spore, followed by Baton Pass Geomancy/other boosts, or hazards, or support, or anything really.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Prankster, definitely. It would be unstoppable. Instant Spore, followed by Baton Pass Geomancy/other boosts, or hazards, or support, or anything really.

Yeah, Prankster would be a great one; I can't believe I haven't thought of that. People usually utilize this Pokémon for all its non-damaging moves and whatnot, and this would certainly help.

If it winds up to be sort of overpowered, they could always give its mega-form some stats decrease.

Whyvile

Toot your horns
    Years
  • Yeah, Prankster would be a great one; I can't believe I haven't thought of that. People usually utilize this Pokémon for all its non-damaging moves and whatnot, and this would certainly help.

If it winds up to be sort of overpowered, they could always give its mega-form some stats decrease.
    You mean like what they did with Genga- oh wait

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I would like to see prankster, but someone already took that idea. Shadow tag anyone? Add the ghost typing, and boost it's defense stats and speed, but lower all if it's attacking stats. All you have to do is set up on someone that can't touch it such as a fighting type without knockoff, ghost type, or normal type.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • Yeah, Prankster would be a great one; I can't believe I haven't thought of that. People usually utilize this Pokémon for all its non-damaging moves and whatnot, and this would certainly help.

I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of Prankster...

But I doubt it VERY much that they would EVER decease stats unless it's to incease other stats even more,
    which is the case for some Megas, such as Abomasnow, Garchomp, Mewtwo (Y), Diancie, Etc.

But if Prankster proves to be too much during beta testing (or whatever they call it), they could always go
    with Magic Bounce instead before releasing whatever game Mega Smeargle is on.

BadPokemon's idea isn't Bad..
    (so PUNny!)
    But why would Smeargle be Ghost-typed?

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I feel kinda stupid for not thinking of Prankster...

But I doubt it VERY much that they would EVER decease stats unless it's to incease other stats even more,
    which is the case for some Megas, such as Abomasnow, Garchomp, Mewtwo (Y), Diancie, Etc.

But if Prankster proves to be too much during beta testing (or whatever they call it), they could always go
    with Magic Bounce instead before releasing whatever game Mega Smeargle is on.

BadPokemon's idea isn't Bad..
    (so PUNny!)
    But why would Smeargle be Ghost-typed?

So shadow tag makes more sense. All the immunities would benefit it for setting up. Or it could get arena trap, or a whole new ability altogether that does the exact same thing.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
    Years
  • So shadow tag makes more sense. All the immunities would benefit it for setting up. Or it could get arena trap, or a whole new ability altogether that does the exact same thing.
    Shadow Tag does make more sense if it was Ghost-type, but what I mean is
    what traits does Smeargle have that'd cause it to become a Ghost when it mega evolves?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I definitely agree on Trace or Prankster. Trace would probably make it useless, since it doesn't really provide that many benefits over regular Smeargle's abilities. Prankster might even be devastating, because it would basically give Smeargle a 100% chance of success unless it was facing a Prankster-Taunt user.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • Shadow Tag does make more sense if it was Ghost-type, but what I mean is
    what traits does Smeargle have that'd cause it to become a Ghost when it mega evolves?

Nothing, really. But, they can make him a bit bluish and replace his paintbrush with a larger, ghost-like paintbrush. He should look older and wiser, similar to Alakazam and his mega.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I also agree that Trace would be a suitable ability for Smeargle. It has tendency to copy when it comes to moves and whatnot, and this would allow it to perform basically the same thing, but only with abilities.

Back