• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What about... controllers?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Each type of home game console has its own controller, which, in form or another, has something unique added that helps distinguish itself from all others. Of all video game controllers that you have tried your hand on thus far, which do you admire most? Why do you prefer it so much? Do you still have this particular controller with you?

Me--one of my personal favorites would have to be WiiMote and Nunchuck, things we use to play games on Nintendo Wii. Some might consider them to be sort of gimmicky, but in my eyes, it's their gimmicks that make these devices so special. In most cases, WiiMote helps your body to be more active throughout, which is a lot beneficial in general, I feel. Traditional controls would exercise only your fingers, but this one goes above and beyond and puts more parts of your body to use.

Aside from above, I'm also pretty fond of Xbox 360 controller. Unlike this WiiMote, this one is more accustomed; higher range of people are familiar with its style. Even so, the way it was designed makes this controller very easy to hold, and the way they have its buttons laid-out gives much more of an easier time when it comes to mashing buttons and whatnot. Due to similar reasons, I also like GameCube controller.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I quite like the GamePad. I think it's neat and functions very well. It's a bit immersion breaking when I have to look down at it to interact with the game though.

Beyond that, loved the Gamecube controller. Was a good hold. The Xbox 360 controller was great too.

:)

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • My favorite is the Xbox 360 controller, otherwise back to the NGC controller, which I found pretty and well-made.

Not really on topic but we can say the worst thing I've used is the Nintendo 64 controller.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Gamecube controller is the most comfortable controller that I will ever hold. It's not the best for Street Fighter type of games but it is perfect for Smash Bros. The controller just feels right. The A button being the biggest makes action commands easier to do. The c-stick is good too. The button layout itself just feels right.

Although for more traditional fighting games, I prefer the PS3 controller. However for 3D games, my left thumb gets sore after awhile having to move my character by reaching all the way down-right.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to video game controllers, I prefer the Xbox 360 controller and the Nintendo 64 controller. Also when buying controllers, avoid those made by Rock Candy, since they break easily. I bought one to replace a Xbox 360 controller that stopped working, and not long after I bought the the Rock Candy brand controller, the right thumbstick cracked.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • When it comes to video game controllers, I prefer the Xbox 360 controller and the Nintendo 64 controller.

Do you mind explaining what do you like from the N64 controller? Not trying to argue, just that I haven't met anyone who would like the joystick. I find it very... uncomfortable for myself.

I feel like

Spoiler:

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Personal favourite for the past few years has been my 360 controller. Specifically, I love the Mad Catz controller. It's actually comfortable in my little hands, lol. The triggers and bumpers are more comfortable to press. And the start and last buttons are high up out of the way. It's just so comfy.

Spoiler:

Though I've also really loved the Gamecube and N64 controllers.
    The GC controller is super comfy to hold, too -- actually, moreso when the C-stick's rubber top comes off. It felt easier to handle it.
    And the N64 is probably more nostalgia, but I never had a problem holding it, even when I was little. I never really used the D-pad, so I just held the middle and the right side - never had any issues hitting L, R, and Z. The only time I didn't like it was during Mario Party -- the games that made you twist the joystick rapidly always seemed to remove a layer or two of skin with it.

Never really liked Playstation controllers... Although if we're talking horrible controllers, I'd like to cast my vote on the Intellivision.

Yukari

Dualshock 2 hands down. It was very comfortable and and I just generally like it.

It also might be nostalgia a bit because I spent months on end holding that thing. Playing Megaman, and Kingdom Hearts, and all those great games.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • My favourites controllers are...

GameCube: Ergonomic and comfortable as possible (I was going to say 'as hell', but I don't think that's all too comfortable). I love the big pressure sensitive shoulder buttons. The Control Stick is nice and sturdy. Face button layout is perfect. Downsides go to the useless Z-button, the terrible C-stick, and too tiny and awkward to reach D-Pad

Xbox 360: Also a really, really comfortable controller. No real negatives here, just not as comfy as the GCN.

Wiimote/Nunchuck-combo: This... is liberating. I can lie down and stretch out and my arms be wherever. Comfortable to hold, everything is nicely spaced out and intuitive. And I'm fine with motion controls. I really liked this.

I would assume I'd like the Wii U Pro Controller, but I've never held it. I surprisingly like the control stick placement on the Wii U. Being at the top and all. And this seems like it'd be a refined version of the Wii Pro Controller which had truly horrible control sticks, but made for a real comfortable SNES controller that I use all the time

H.Lecter

Two-dimensional
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2015
    I discovered my most favorite controller last month:

The Classic Controller Pro

Mainly beeing a Playstation gamer I prefer the layout with d-pad and actions buttons at the top and the sticks at the button much more over the layout of the Xbox 360/One or the Wii U Pro controller. Additionally it really fits perfect in my hand. In the end the best thing about it is the d-pad. I really love the d-pad Nintendo provides since the Game and Watch handhelds. Gamecube, Wiimote and Nintendo DS had ridiculously small d-pads which really annoyed me but the Classic Controller Pro has a real nice big d-pad. Of course the LZ and RZ buttons are not analogue and there is no rumble function but the rest is really perfect which makes it the best controller for retro, indie and every other sidescrolling games.
    I still do not like it that I have to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii with the Wii-Mote (not only the d-pad also the buttons are to small, and the ergonomic feeling is terrible), I stopped playing it until my Controller Grip get's delivered because it is just to terrible.

Besides the Nintendo consoles I mosty play with the Dualshock 3 because I am a Playstation gamer, but I think the controller has many disadvantages in comparison to the Xbox 360 controller. Therefore I really am glad that the Dualshock 4 is a huge improvement over the Dualshock 3.

I often play with my Android Handheld Gametab One (mostly Pokémon hacks) and I really love it. Despite being so big it's much more comfortable than any other of the mainstream Sony and Nintendo handhelds. It also is much more comfortable than the Wii U Gamepad (I do not like the backside of the Gamepad).

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • DualShock 4 Wireless Controller - Glacier White - by Sony Computer Entertainment

I love this controller to death!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I discovered my most favorite controller last month:

The Classic Controller Pro

Mainly beeing a Playstation gamer I prefer the layout with d-pad and actions buttons at the top and the sticks at the button much more over the layout of the Xbox 360/One or the Wii U Pro controller. Additionally it really fits perfect in my hand. In the end the best thing about it is the d-pad. I really love the d-pad Nintendo provides since the Game and Watch handhelds. Gamecube, Wiimote and Nintendo DS had ridiculously small d-pads which really annoyed me but the Classic Controller Pro has a real nice big d-pad. Of course the LZ and RZ buttons are not analogue and there is no rumble function but the rest is really perfect which makes it the best controller for retro, indie and every other sidescrolling games.
    I still do not like it that I have to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii with the Wii-Mote (not only the d-pad also the buttons are to small, and the ergonomic feeling is terrible), I stopped playing it until my Controller Grip get's delivered because it is just to terrible.

Besides the Nintendo consoles I mosty play with the Dualshock 3 because I am a Playstation gamer, but I think the controller has many disadvantages in comparison to the Xbox 360 controller. Therefore I really am glad that the Dualshock 4 is a huge improvement over the Dualshock 3.

I often play with my Android Handheld Gametab One (mostly Pokémon hacks) and I really love it. Despite being so big it's much more comfortable than any other of the mainstream Sony and Nintendo handhelds. It also is much more comfortable than the Wii U Gamepad (I do not like the backside of the Gamepad).

The Classic Controller Pro is very comfortable and has a great D-Pad. I use it a lot for NES and SNES games and such. But those Control Sticks are the worst I've ever used. Very empty feeling, awkward to use.

Years
  • I prefer the DualShock series of controllers, since I'm so familiar with all of them except the DualShock 4. I've always found them to be more comfortable than other types of controllers.

Nillemi

Under my Rock
    Years
  • This is my favorite controller.
    Spoiler:

And yes, This actually Exists, It's used to play Phantasy star online. The only Game Cube MMO.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Playstation series of controllers, hands down. I believe that they have the best design. All others I've used (particularly Nintendo) have felt very empty in my hands. They don't have that same feeling of satisfaction when I use them, and the control sticks are awkward with these corners of death that make them move very mechanically. The buttons are decent, but they feel like cheap plastic toys in comparison.

I love especially my Playstation 3 controller. It's easy to use. Of course, I may be biased because I use it ALL the time for Netflix and a few games. But it's wireless and charges quickly. (I even have a red one. Red is my favorite color.) I think the reason they keep reusing that controller design is because it's so perfect. It's simple, doesn't have any real fancy gimmicks that get in the way, and it gets the job done. Minus the shoulder buttons. But I've never been a fan of those on controllers.

Can't say how I feel about PS4. I'd have to see. But it would appear they haven't changed the design too drastically, so I'll probably like it.

H.Lecter

Two-dimensional
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2015
    The Classic Controller Pro is very comfortable and has a great D-Pad. I use it a lot for NES and SNES games and such. But those Control Sticks are the worst I've ever used. Very empty feeling, awkward to use.

Besides a few minutes Smash Bros (and I am terrible at Smash Bros.) I didnt use the Control Sticks of the Classic Controller so I will judge them when it's time, but I heard it already a few times that the stick are really bad.

Years
  • I like the Xbox 360 controller; I use it for quite a lot of my PC games.

Dualshock 1-3, when I used them they didn't feel really comfortable for me. Dualshock 4 was a huge step up.

Years
  • The GameCube is quite obviously the best and everyone that doesn't think so is lying.
    It's my favourite controller by far, though I do like the Wii Remote and N64 controllers too. The GamePad is also pretty good, and the SNES controller was simple and easy to use. So basically, the GameCube is my favourite, btu I like the majority of Nintendo's controllers... besides the PS3/Xbox 360 controllers (they're not bad), I haven't had much experience with anything else.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Do you mind explaining what do you like from the N64 controller? Not trying to argue, just that I haven't met anyone who would like the joystick. I find it very... uncomfortable for myself.

I feel like

Spoiler:

Apparently someone never taught you proper N64 controller etiquette.

My personal favorite would have to be either the Gamecube or the SNES controller.

Back