• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    I dont HATE fakemon, partly because my hack has em, but i dont like when Its ALL fakemon, or theres too few for it to be considered worthwile..

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Here's a quick list of a few things that annoy me:

1. How so many are made by males. It's a trend that's not at all unexpected, considering we're a culture that still perpetuates the nonsense that technology is somehow the exclusive domain of men; but it's still a little disheartening to see just how much of a sausage-fest it is around these parts. :( Nothing against all you fellows here, of course! ^^' I just think it would be nice to see more gals making hacks...

That's...hardly our fault that we like to ROM Hack. It's more the girls' fault they don't.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2022
    That's...hardly our fault that we like to ROM Hack. It's more the girls' fault they don't.

Of course it's not your fault! I never said it was. :) I was merely making an observation about the lack of females involved in ROM Hacking and that as a girl, it's a little disappointing how few of us there are. I was not at all meaning to imply that all you fellows making hacks are somehow a bad thing, or that I'm biased against you all, and I'm sorry if that was how my statement was read :(

Besides, it's a superficial "annoyance" of mine, not anything that reflects on the quality of the hack - I'm far more annoyed by the pointless Johto remakes than I am by this issue, for example. I don't care WHO made the game, I care more about WHAT the game is like and how fun it is to play and how well made it is. :)

Last edited:

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
    what really annoy me is complainer,stealer and ugh bossy people.
    example
    some people might have crappy and instead take our hard working hack and make crap out of them.
    I hate when you work in some group and they started complaining like I can do better than this when we work hard or used some our spare time to do some stuff for them
    that I hate a lot [not all of us are are professional there thing call learning and basic]
    Bossy people are so annoying they make you do everything without caring what the person got to so like exam,work,job or there personal life.
    so I really hate those 3 thing.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years

Actually, perhaps it is men who are the reason why there aren't many women on the Internet. I'm sure that a paper on gender demographics on the Internet would be fascinating but as for the topic at hand, "What Annoys You About Hacks?", it seems to me that the gender of the author is awfully irrelevant to the quality of the hack.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Grammer/Spelling errors-Honestly, it's not that hard to type your diolouge into Word or something before putting it in.

Profanity for no reason - Sure at times swearing can add to a scene of some sort, but most of the time it's pointless and just makes the text laughable at how poor it is.

Bad Mapping/Scripting/Tiles - It's not that hard to make a decent map, if you can't make tiles don't, you should practice before you script.

Gamebreaking bugs - Surely you should be able to find a major, gamebreakng glitch. Including those is a sign of laziness.

Abandoning hacks - Good or not you should at least have the decency to finish it. If it's bad then you have experience of what not to do next time. I really hate it when a good hack is abandoned. Why? When you have so many supporting you, why stop?

Keeping stuff the same/minor edits - If you want to do a remake and want to keep the same maps fine, but if you just keep everything the same, theres no point. I'm sick of filling the pokedex, sick of walking through pallet town, sick of team rocket, sick of collecting badge, ect. If you make only minor edits though, that's far worse. For example, I've seen stuff like this before:
    Exit house
    Welcome to WATER TOWN
    Me: Gee, these houses look a lot alike. Oh look! There's water to the south and grass to the north."
    Walk into grass
    BARK: Wait! Don't go out. You need a POKEMON to protect you. Here follow me.
    Me:*Epic facepalm* *Shuts off emulator, deletes game*

If you do something like that, it just shows you're lazy and can't make the game different in any way. Isn't that the point of ROM hacks?

Overused ideas - This I really hate, more than almost anything.
    Examples:
    Multiple regions
    4th and 5th gen Pokemon
    Team Rocket returns
    Prequel to Red
    Remake of Gold
    The list goes on.......

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    I hate the fact that almost all Pokemon hacks are 3rd gen hacks, especially FireRed, Gen 2 needs more love, there need to be a lot more Gen 2 hacks, more Gen 2 tools, more Gen 2.... well, EVERYTHING!!!!!

Last edited:

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
    -Story Cliches
    -Unoriginality (Maps, Scripts, Sprites, etc.)
    -Ridiculous names
    -Horrible Sprites
    -Bad Grammar (Spell check is your friend)

...Just to name a few.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    LACK OF IMAGINATION!
    I mean come on! It's your hack wich means you can do wathever you want with it and more than 95% of hacks (I'm not exaggerating!) have the same "story": you get your starter and just keep winning the badges, BUT in a new area... yeah that's a BIG difference from the standard nintendo games!
    Please if you aren't gonna be creative, and just gonna start another hack like that... think again.
    Of course that doesn't mean that hacks like that are automatically bad, but then it takes a lot more than just a new area to make a really good hack!

rstar095

Baby Seal Clubber
    Years
    i love how 90% of the hacks arent even half finished and abandoned. look at the hacks of the years. I also hate that its so hard to find one with super sayin 4 goku

Nosophoros

I'm eating your cake
    Years
    Yeah, once the creators send out a beta or two they give up automatically.

rstar095: What do you mean Super Saiyan 4 Goku? I love him as much as anyone, but do you mean putting him in a pokemon hack?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Dec 28, 2012
    Easy-made maps or in other words uncreative maps, glitches, most of the hacks out there didn't released a beta or something and uh; hacks that seems to be annoying (particularly, some).

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    Well...
    Story Cliches - Never liked them. :(
    Bad names that happens in every hack lol jks
    Lack of dedication - that has happened. :D

Super Ultra Mega Charizard

not a beginner trainer :P
    Years
    lack of finishing them, half of the hacks out there are unfinished

that's because they have to work on the hack before they can inish it :P

I don't like to see tile errors and hacks that are actually just small edits of firered, and that there aren't enough hacks of other generation games

Last edited:
    Back