• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2019
    What annoys me more is the bad grammar of some hacks, especially the spanish ones that have the battle system translated literally (I play spanish hacks because I'm spanish :)). I don't like also the hacks with strange tiles and errors, and some which have the music a bit corrupted.

raidenx2008

Beggining Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    1) FAKEMON: Well, I hate fakemon FOREVER. Hacks like Quartz and Marble, SUX.
    2) Poor scripts: Many people hate that, me too.
    3) Forever BETA games: Shiny Gold phails for the lazy author that never completes his hack. Many other hacks also.
    4) Unchanged storyline: Quartz & Marble PHAILED on this.
    5) Tile error, screwed music: Many people hate that, me too.

Bad grammar? Well, I like 1337 and it never minds since I am Malaysian. I`ve suited Singaporean/Malaysian english (Singlish) that`s a mixture of Malay, Mandarin, English..........

Fury194

.___________________.
    Years
  • 1) Fakémon - they're mostly stupid in ROM hacks, due to their spriting being really lousy.
    2) Over-input of forth gen pokes - it's okay to put some of them in, but putting in too much is just ridiculous.
    3) Steep level curves - I mostly see this as a problem in 386 hacks, or hacks that are just steroided original games, for the love of god I don't want to be required to grind for 40 minutes to get a pokémon up to snuff with speedups.
    4) Tile errors - Mostly makes the hack look ugly and discouraging to play.
    5) Scripting errors - Hackers should be able fix scripts before the release of the next beta, no exceptions. It makes the hacker look lazy.
    6) Grammatical errors - See the last sentence above.
    7) Vulgar language - Occasionally it's okay. A damn here and there really never tends to hurt anyone. But when you start making the characters swear like crazy (let's take Quartz, for example,) it just makes you look like an idiot, and childish.
    8) Good ideas ditched. - Speaks for itself.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • First of all: to all those who are annoyed about hacks that aren't finished, oh how wrong you are. If you really value a hack, you play, like and judge it on its limits; up to where it's been set. Instead of being annoyed about hacks that aren't finished, be sad.

And about fakes, I don't like how everyone refers to Quartz and Topaz and their fakes. Not only there are a lot of fakemon hacks out there that outclass them, you use these two hacks as a bad example and drown down all fakemon tryouts.

Anyway, imo one thing does it: Bad quality maps and scripts. If poorly done and the maker keeps doing the same mistakes means lack of interest, and not lack of knowledge, and that's what I hate.

Mr.Silver

Say Hello To Nurse Barbra
    Years
  • 1)Generic storylines, You know. like:
    Spoiler:

2) God dammed glitch of DEATH.
    3) half baked scripts which are basically just the oak scripts rewritten a small bit.
    4) lame map edits
    5) EYE BURNING pallets.
    6) people complaining about the next beta release of a said hack.

ase

learning How to Hack
    Years
  • 1) FAKEMON: Well, I hate fakemon FOREVER. Hacks like Quartz and Marble, SUX.
    2) Poor scripts: Many people hate that, me too.
    3) Forever BETA games: Shiny Gold phails for the lazy author that never completes his hack. Many other hacks also.
    4) Unchanged storyline: Quartz & Marble PHAILED on this.
    5) Tile error, screwed music: Many people hate that, me too.

Bad grammar? Well, I like 1337 and it never minds since I am Malaysian. I`ve suited Singaporean/Malaysian english (Singlish) that`s a mixture of Malay, Mandarin, English..........
    you do know that you just insulted the one of the greatest hackers of all-time if zel hadn't gone into hacking the ROM hacking community would have never become what it is today and I bet you couldn't make anything better so don't call Zel lazy :pissed:
    anyway the three things that really piss me off about hacks are
    1. bad maps and scripts= if you cant script or even map then you shouldn't be hacking :\
    2.horrible fakemon= if you can do it and make it decent then fine knock yourself out but you don't need fakemon in a hack to make it good
    and
    3. lack of imagination= c'mon the reason why we hack is to alter games to our liking you should never stick with the Nintendo story line or else it'll get boring for you're fans and yourself(although a few ppl have managed to make great hackd with the Nintendo storyline *cough* *cough* Rijon adventures *cough*)

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • im not just saying this because my hack has them, but i dont understand why people hate them..

I mean, Quartz and Topaz werent exactly good examples or pace setters for fakemon, but they should be atleast given a chance before being dismissed as 'shoddy and poorly done'

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2017
    Basically I just hate Fakemon and the lack of finished hacks. I like glitches and I can stick to the story line. But what we need more of is hacks like Pokemon Garnet(The one where you play as Silver) and Pokemon White(You start of graduating from an academy, really ties into a tutorial instead of just random people giving advice.)

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
    Years
  • I really hate fakemon and bad grammer. I also REALLY hate it when people post a hack movie on youtube and have SUPER bad grammer.

And for those people out there who hate FR hacking, guess what. I'm a hacker who started on FR and so I prefer it. Everyone has their preferences.

It annoys me too, how everyone uses FireRed as a ROM base for some reason and never Ruby or Emerald (I use those two when hacking), I never really liked FireRed myself, I always found it too brightly colored for one, and two, it's way too much like original Red (the story has no edits at all, it's mearly Red with GBA graphics and a female player character, and nothing else)

FR actually has more storyline to it than the original red and blue. Do you even have the skill to beat the Elite Four? Or Blaine??? Dude, gamefreak wanted the game to be as similar as possible to the original, except with an expansion.

BTW, I need a skilled scripter/overall hacker to help me with my hack, "POKEMON PETRA". If you are interested, contact me at "[email protected]"

Super Ultra Mega Charizard

not a beginner trainer :P
    Years
  • I really hate fakemon and bad grammer. I also REALLY hate it when people post a hack movie on youtube and have SUPER bad grammer.

And for those people out there who hate FR hacking, guess what. I'm a hacker who started on FR and so I prefer it. Everyone has their preferences.

FR actually has more storyline to it than the original red and blue. Do you even have the skill to beat the Elite Four? Or Blaine??? Dude, gamefreak wanted the game to be as similar as possible to the original, except with an expansion.

BTW, I need a skilled scripter/overall hacker to help me with my hack, "POKEMON PETRA". If you are interested, contact me at "[email protected]"

you shouldn't advertise asking people to make your hack lol

another thing I hate is when people from youtube make hack tutorials saying advanced text and advance starter and advance mart are all you need to make a hack and they just make prof oak say "ZoMG I liek do **** 2 Ur Gf LolloLLLolLlLOlO i Take drUUgZ" and when you say there's more to hacking than that, they say you can't hack any better, so you post a video of your hack, and they say everything is the same tiles and same sprites when they have been changed but there's haven't, and then you post another video of mapping and they say you can't even map and don't know how to even though you have a video of it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • you shouldn't advertise asking people to make your hack lol

another thing I hate is when people from youtube make hack tutorials saying advanced text and advance starter and advance mart are all you need to make a hack and they just make prof oak say "ZoMG I liek do **** 2 Ur Gf LolloLLLolLlLOlO i Take drUUgZ" and when you say there's more to hacking than that, they say you can't hack any better, so you post a video of your hack, and they say everything is the same tiles and same sprites when they have been changed but there's haven't, and then you post another video of mapping and they say you can't even map and don't know how to even though you have a video of it.
    I know of no one like that from youtube, and I started hacking because of that community.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • there's a user called reshiram 300 who has a hack full o tile errors and 5th gen sprites without outlines and he says that, and if you haven't seen hacks where people just do that.....wow............just wow.
    TBH, the only hack series I've watched was Tamashii Hiroka's... I never really liked anyone else's.

pr0udy

Wannabe Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2020
    I'm not sure anything I post hasn't been posted before, but my biggest gripes are:

Remakes that don't build on the originals the way FR/LG and HG/SS did;
    Remakes that build on the originals by adding another rival or a poorly-written sub-plot;
    'New' crime syndicates that are just re-hashes of Rocket/Magma/whatever in their motives;
    Poor spelling/grammar/translation and over-used profanity;
    Animé-based hacks (but that's just because I think the animé is awful);
    The distinct lack of manga-inspired hacks (Yellow and Emerald cameos, anyone?);
    Most, if not all, fake-mon;
    Bad writing (such as poor exposition or obvious plot points): extends to main plot, sub-plots, dialogue, et al;
    Un-necessary cut scenes: kind of links to the above. Seriously, even Game Freak only include one or two of these per game. They should only be used to avoid lengthy dialogue.

That's all I can think of right now; maybe I'll add to the list next time I play a bad ROM hack.

As a final note: Could everybody complaining about bad spelling and grammar please heed their own advice so I don't have to track you down and burn you for your hypocrisy? Thanks very much. :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    1. Fugly tiles
    2. Bad grammar
    3. Fakemon
    4. Unchanged scripts
    5. Lack of R/S/E hacks, meaning that there's absolutely 0% chance of a Battle Tower/Frontier being in the game, plus no RTC, and you have a slow bike, etc...
    6. Really badly made Trainer Sprites. *coughShinyGoldandLiquidCrystalcough*

lol that's funny, I started on FireRed and now I prefer Ruby/Emerald.

FR actually has more storyline to it than the original red and blue. Do you even have the skill to beat the Elite Four? Or Blaine???
    The Elite Four and Gym Leaders of the official Kanto-based games are really easy. You think Blaine is hard? Ever heard of Surf?

KingCyndaquil

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • 1. FAKEMON! ALL TYPES!!!!
    2. faces like this: :) (so annoying)
    3. Evil teams that actually 'kill' pokemon (not traditional at all)
    4. Cursing.....
    5. Grammar issues
    6. Its ok to make new regions, but make the maps actually good, not full of tile errors...
    7. STUPID STARTERS!!! (ie. Rattata, Pidgey and Growlithe)

thats it lol

Last edited:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • FireRed hacks.
    End of. I hate everything about FireRed. I hate everything about the fanboys who hack firered because everyone else and their mum is doing it.

Im also out to prove that not ALL fakemon are bad.

Back