• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

Bisharp

Whoa.. up close and personal..!
Years
  • I hate texter talk and abbreviations that are unneccessary like 'LOL AWESHUM' and bad grammar. I can understand with Pokemon Naranja, Never Black/White's grammar errors since they're translated. I also dislike undeveloped fakemon. I don't mind if there wasn't much effort put into the hack, since poor and glitchy hacks like Pokemon GIR Green are worth a laugh or two.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 4, 2014
    It really REALLY annoys me when people replace starters with other ordinary pokemon like Nuemel...Who would want a Charmander when you can have a Nuemel...

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Almost all hacks with ugly, custom tiles from overused rombases annoy me. I personally adore default FR and Emerald tiles.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2012
    What i HATE about hacks is that most of them aren't even finished. You really start to like the game, and once you beat the 3rd gym leader, the game is over (Pokemon Naranja) I have only found one complete hack so far and thats Pokemon Flora Sky.

Bolens

Soul Hacker
    Years
    • Age 30
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 22, 2016
    Seeing the same tiles over and over again...I'm really getting annoyed with how many people are using ROM bases just so there hack looks good. It is like cheating their way to get good graphics! They need to put work into their hack, not have someone else do it all for them! Oh well, whatever... Other than that, just grammar and boring storyline.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • Seeing the same tiles over and over again...I'm really getting annoyed with how many people are using ROM bases just so there hack looks good. It is like cheating their way to get good graphics! They need to put work into their hack, not have someone else do it all for them! Oh well, whatever... Other than that, just grammar and boring storyline.

You're forgetting that the whole game is a ROM base.
    So by that logic even the default tiles are "cheating".

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • 1/the WHITE SCREEN that i mostly get from fireRed hacks but only sometimes with ruby hacks.
    2/too many fireRed hacks.

the white screen problem really bugs me.cause i cant play fireRed hacks.

These are not issues.
    White screens can be fixed easily.

Too many FR hacks is not an issue, either.

When hacks are in a foreign language, but the scripts look very cool and interesting and you don't understand what they're saying. -_-

That's what translators are for. (For example, myself)

Seeing the same tiles over and over again...I'm really getting annoyed with how many people are using ROM bases just so there hack looks good. It is like cheating their way to get good graphics! They need to put work into their hack, not have someone else do it all for them! Oh well, whatever... Other than that, just grammar and boring storyline.

Oh, is that a problem? Graphics, are the least important aspect in a hack,
    unless it is a Ruby or an Emerald hack. (Those ugly trees really need to be changed) Or else, I won't regard it as an issue.
    And is using Rombases an issue too? If the Rombase is not overused, it's fine. Also, Rombases are public, so you're not "cheating".
    Grammar? A lot of people have bad grammar. That's what grammar correctors are for. (For example, myself)

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2023
    What annoys me is how people get part way through a hack, close their hack then a few days later start a new one. Why couldn't they just continue their last one? Or even make touches to it?

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
    Years
  • For me it would have to be badly drawn or undeveloped fakemon (as said before). I feel if you are going to create a fakemon, put your heart into it an develop a personality for it.

I don't particularly like unfinished hacks because I love playing them and when I get to the end i'm always sad, but obviously that is how things go.

I don't mind there being a lack of 4th and 5th gen tools and hacks because I haven't fully gotten used to using gen 3 tools yet.

But i'm going to jump on the bandwagon here and say bad grammar is a huge dislike. If I am playing a hack and I see constant bad grammar it makes me quit because it gives the appearance of a sloppy and uncaring job (even if the hack is far from it).

phew, I think thats me for now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Eh, got a fair amount.

1 - Bad grammar. Self-explanatory.
    2 - Poorly translated hacks. Which can ruin what could be a great hack.
    3 - Tile errors. In betas, it's fine (to an extent) since it's not going to be properly finished then, but in a hack advertised as complete I don't like it.
    4 - Overuse of swear words. I'm fine with swearing if it's not forced and overused.
    5 - Poorly sprited Fakemon. I'm actually ok with Fakemon if they're sprited well. But I could see a Fakemon with a good design, yet poorly sprited.

That's it game wise. Community wise though:

6 - Those who refuse to play a hack because it's using a specific game (mostly Fire Red).
    7 - Those who refuse to play a hack that's not a specific game (again, mostly Fire Red).

Cyndaquil312

It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.
    Years
  • Eh, got a fair amount.

1 - Bad grammar. Self-explanatory.
    2 - Poorly translated hacks. Which can ruin what could be a great hack.
    3 - Tile errors. In betas, it's fine (to an extent) since it's not going to be properly finished then, but in a hack advertised as complete I don't like it.
    4 - Overuse of swear words. I'm fine with swearing if it's not forced and overused.
    5 - Poorly sprited Fakemon. I'm actually ok with Fakemon if they're sprited well. But I could see a Fakemon with a good design, yet poorly sprited.

That's it game wise. Community wise though:

6 - Those who refuse to play a hack because it's using a specific game (mostly Fire Red).
    7 - Those who refuse to play a hack that's not a specific game (again, mostly Fire Red).

I couldn't put it it better myself. but there's a couple things I'd add to the list...

Hacks that instantly add "DP or BW pokemon" yeah, thy're the current pokemon, but more and more lately, I personally feel that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (especially 3rd, every one seems to strongly dislike them) generation pokemon are being... neglected, for lack of a better term, again, especially 3rd generation (hard to come by in official games, and has yet to see it's own official re-make).

tiles that don't match, like a stump that is detailed, yet they keep the standard FR/LG tree trunks.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • 1. Unfinishment (finished hacks can be count on fingers...)
    2. Blatant canon contradictions (like, if not the "Lance's child" thing, Prism would be perfect to me)
    3. User Easter Eggs (almost every hacker wants to hide some form of himself [and his friends] in his hack, even in GSC remakes and other "canonish" hacks)
    4. Lame, annoying, tiresome characters (*ekhm*SG's Carlos*ekhm) and hoardes of forced rivals.
    5. Fakemon (especially the poorly sprited ones. But I'm not a fan of Fakemon hacks at all)
    6. Poor spriting in general
    7. Lack of user tiles (fan-made regions that look exactly like Kanto/Hoenn don't really get me) and, on the contrary, overuse of ROM Bases (those get annoying too, especially those DS-imitating tiles) or Project Gaytinum Platinum tiles in Johto remakes.
    8. Stupid starters
    9. Hackers forcibly making their hacks "harder" than the real game
    10. The "random adjective + color/stone/other material" naming scheme (like ShadowTopaz, SunnyOrange etc.)
    11. That to find a potentially good hack I must dive through tens of mediocre ones... Everyone's pet peeve.

Last edited:

Articuno23

Sub-Zero
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2012
    - Bad spelling/grammar
    - Bad Fakemon (Poor sprites, overpowered and too many fakemon in the game)
    - Also when they use existing icons for fakemon (e.g. Sienna has plusle for a bug type)
    - Tile errors
    - An unclear/ undeveloped storyline
    - Poor Map design (i.e. Layouts)

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2011
    Everything, grammar, bad scripting, bad tiles etc..

And especially that ... Town looks like Pallet Town.
    If you get what I mean.

Fortunado

Prof. Hemlock is busy now...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2011
    Adding in Generation IV/V or Fakemon into the gmae. It removes some of the original Pokémon.

In my hack, all 386 will be available.

Back