• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are Pokémon you get bored seeing?

Years
  • As we all know, there are tons of Pokémon out there today. You might be able to find teams you find highly original and full of cool Pokémon that you think are nice to see for a change. But at the same time, some players use Pokémon you think are highly unoriginal, and get really bored seeing all the time. What really bothers you to see be used by other players, or even in-game trainers?

This is probably the easiest question ever for me: Lucario, bar none. Back when B2W2 were new in Japan, almost every single normal playthrough of the games had the damn thing and it got so repetitive to see it after a while. It's not fun watching it break the game, come on, players, you can do better than this.

How about you? What do you absolutely hate watching others use? Discuss.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Watching Chuggaconroy's lets plays of Pokemon Colosseum and XD:GoD got me thinking of this quote he said in one of his episodes:

"A lot of people are not agreeing with my lineups, but I like my team. I would rather have this team of oddballs that I like than just me playing the game with some OU Pokemon like Heracross and that would be too boring for me" - clearly Chugga's got something there.

Basically, if people make playthroughs of their own pokemon games, I don't like it when they just build a team of OU Pokemon and just wreck the whole playthrough with them.

It should always be nice when someone does a pretty nifty lineup of under-appreciated oddballs from RU, NU, or even PU and actually beat the game's core storyline with it.

Spoiler:

Speaking of a Unova game playthrough, I'm building a team of oddballs, though I couldn't resist getting a Drillbur for my party, because I'm still a jerk. But hey, I picked Tepig, and compared to other starters he's slow as hell (Slower than Swampert? even on Speed EV Investments???). Most people who make playthroughs of BW probably pick Oshawott since he's the easiest of the gen 5 starters to play around (God Bless Samurott's versatile build paths), even someone like munching orange picked him.. though maybe I'm wrong but I'm certain that more people played Oshawott than Tepic, and of course non-contrary Snivy is just well... not worth it.

TO be related moar on topic:

Any pokemon in that generation's OU Bracket. Say if someone plays through Pokemon Plat and has a team of just OU pokemon like Infernape, Roserade, Garchomp (Oh wait, he's 4th gen Uber so that's a plus), Gyarados, Swampert, etc i immediately switch out since thats already the kind of team I assembled already on my own save file. No need for me to actually watch something the same. Also again, OU tier pokemon. THERES A REASON WHY OU is called OVERUSED lets players.

If someone's playing a BW lets play but is packed with Excadrill and the rest of Gen 5's OUs, i immediately switch off and look for something else.

As for Gen 6, i'm pretty certain that everyone who made a lets plays of XY and ORAS picked Froakie and Mudkip respectively. Torchic isn't as OP without its precious Speed Boost. (If getting the HA on the starters would have been possible in ORAS, I'm certain people snowballed their playthroughs of ORAS with their Adamant Speed Boost Chickens)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When generation four was still active, I used to despise seeing Aerodactyl being used.

Although there weren't much in-game trainers out there using this Pokémon, there were still a good number of actual players (at least those I've found myself running into while having matches online); almost each and every team they would use seemed to have had contained Aerodactyl, and that bothered me.

The Pokémon wasn't very difficult to take down, if at all, but always having to face it was bothersome. I wish it were used less. Due to similar reasons, I also disliked Machamp, Heatran, and Suicune; they were utilized a little too much.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Which is why i often avoid watching or playing in OU tier formats because people play to win and people use only what's strong in order to win. Its basically srs bizness.

I'm currently playing and watching NU tiered battles since i find the matchups a lot more unpredictable and a lot less snowbally. And NU has a lot of hilarious surprises and plays.

Back on topic:

Metagross - oh okay, I'm a big big fan of this thing. The one of the very few offensive steel types in the very Pokemon world and competitive metagame? What's not to like about it. Well, the thing is that after its stint as the Hoenn signature final boss pokemon (being from Steven of course), suddenly people NOT Steven in the later games are using it (any of the Psychic elites), with practically the same workable moveset. I'm pretty sure that everyone who got their free shiny Beldum suddenly REKT Their playthroughs of ORAS with it as well. #didnotgetmyShinyBeldum

No Guard Machamps = well okay, its the only viable ability for him on competitive play, But I'm sure that Gen III style Guts-ChestoRest Machamp may still work well with Huge Boosted Cross Chops from Guts Activation from Rest and recovery from Chesto Berry.

Special Atk Sheer Force Nidokings (MageKing) = dat Lifeorb glitch with Sheer Force (i'm certain its a glitch that gamefreak kinda overlooked) though making a supposed physical poison ground bruiser into a mage is kinda hilarious. I miss Physical Nidoking. But yes it gets tiring to see it on every player's team.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2017
    The pokemon that I get tired of seeing all the time? Garchomp... just... garchomp. I understand. It's big, it's strong... it's a land shark! The design is good too which is a bonus. But ever since it came into the battling scene I've seen it in almost every battle I've watched. Whether it's singles, doubles or mutli-battle. Garchomp is there. always there. Then it got it's hidden ability rough skin, which made fighting it even harder. Rough skin to me was indeed the obvious choice as far as what it's hidden ability could be, so I understand why pokemon gave it to him. But I'd gotten really tired of just watching garchomps dragon claw, dragon rage and earthquake their way through teams while their competitors injured themselves trying to take it out. Thank goodness for fairy's. I feel like garchomp isn't such an indestructible force now.

Years
  • Guys...I really do not want this thread to become that "overpowered Pokémon" thread all over again, where people kept getting off topic and discussing competitive, okay? (Well, the first post did at least mention Let's Plays...) If I wanted that, I would have posted this in Battling and Team Building...

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Zubats, Geodude, Graveler. Every time you go cave you seen this very often and it's pretty annoying if the cycle goes every generation.

Pidgeys everywhere especially in Kalos cuz we already have a kalos native pidgey. Why you gamefreak torture me so.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Dragonite.
    I hate Dragonite. It's always in competitive play, when I used to play competitively, Dragonite would be in every other team I fought online. It got to a point where I had to add a pokemon to my teams specifically for slaying Dragonite's and nothing else. Despite that pokemon being added only to kill Dragonites, I used it way more often then I was comfortable with because Dragonites were everywhere all the time.
    It's not solely based on competitive online play though. All my friends I used to play with... always played Dragonite. Everybody likes Dragonite, everybody uses Dragonite. Whenever somebody I knew would build a pokemon team that was not very well though out or designed, it always magically worked out for them because, here comes Dragonite to save the day, reminding all of us that it doesn't matter how terrible your team is, as long as you play with a Dragonite, you should be fine.
    Dragonite to me, has always represented laziness on the player's part. Whenever I see anyone playing with a Dragonite, I automatically consider them amateurs. It's so obviously insanely powerful, and it has almost always had the move pool designed to deal with just about anything. It's just annoying, frustrating, and a lame example of easy power grab with little to no work.
    People who use Dragonite's are lame, that even goes for NPC's in the normal game. Lance the Champion is amateurish jerk, he should feel bad about his team constantly as well as should be laughed at as the most pathetic and amateur of all the champions to date.
    In my eyes, if your favorite pokemon is Dragonite, and you have one in your team, I can't respect you. I know that's probably unfair to most people, and I bet a lot of people out there who use Dragonite are great people, but I can't respect you as a Pokemon Trainer if you use Dragonite. It's just pathetic.

To be more general with the topic. I'm really tired of seeing all of the "Normal/Flying" type bird pokemon. There's just way too many of them and they are everywhere and they are all basically exact copies of one another. I get the whole theme of, "Well these are the common indigenous bird pokemon of this region, so they're normal because they're everywhere within this region."
    That's cool and all... but it's just so overdone, and only a few of those bird pokemon actually become entertaining in the late game. Plus because they're located almost everywhere throughout the game, you never feel like you ever need one because you can catch one on the spot in any area if it is ever necessary. It's more entertaining and fruitful to find an uncommon flying type with a useful subtype instead of just normal to cover more weaknesses in a team.
    Where's my solid Flying type pokemon? I want a solid Flying type pokemon that is a bird. Why can't you do that, why does every bird pokemon have to be normal?
    I'm tired of Normal/Flying birds, give me something more useful and interesting.

Black-Tigress

Exclusive Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2017
    From my Showdown / viewing experience - Talonflame, Lopunny, Shiny Metagross, Weezing, Swellow, Bisharp, Miltank (..omg..), Houndoom, Slurpuff, Gyarados..Oh yeah, and Garchomp.

Although I get tired of looking at them, most don't bother me - especially Swellow..Absolutely can't stand MilTANK and super fast killer Slurpuff...Ugh...

The.Lethal.Cherrim

Vampire Cherrim
    Years
  • OH GOD! I am SICK of seeing Eevee and his stupid gimicky Eeveelutions. Had enough of all of them.
    Also sick of seeing Pikachu everywhere. As well as Charizard, and Lucario.

Charizard and Lucario.. :( They're too overrated for me and I've grown so bored of them. People love them so much but I'm just sitting there all "eh" since they're not my type of Pokemon at all baha. I'll just sit here being happy with my Whimsicott and Cherrim.

Hahah SAME! Charizard and Lucario go awaaay! I demand more CHERRIM! :D

KittiOcelotti

"Smell ya later!"
    Years
  • I'm tired of seeing:

Charizard: Because it's very overrated and it's a pain to hear little kids brag about their Charizard Pokemon Cards.

Lucario: It's featured in most of the spinoff games and every team in OU has it.

Zubat: It's a zubat, okay?

Tentacruel: The worst thing about Hoenn.

Pikachu: It's on every piece of Pokemon merchandise. They should really put other pokemon on their for a change.

Umbreon: Very Popular in the fanbase and in every team in UU.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I always get irked by people who post their teams and they're either all legendaries, dragon types, psuedo-legendaries, something overpowered, or a combo team of all those things. Don't get me wrong it's totally okay to play with whatever you want, but I notice people who only play with those kinds of teams and it's just so typical and bland to see.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Ironically I use an Aegislash in my team, but I find it a little boring/overrated that it's been used in every single team I've faced. it's the most popular Pokemon to use in battle. :x

Years
  • Charizard and Lucario especially, although I think the former bugs me more because he's like praised so much by the franchise's target audience, and seriously his fanboyism was so blatant in 1st Gen. I did try out Mega Charizard X and that did make me like it a bit better, but is still my least fave Kanto starter.

Lucario is popular as well, but I do like it a little more than Charizard. I used one in the main story in Black 2, because I needed something that was versatile, and while his Mega doesn't look so appealing he's still one of my faves of the "extremely popular" Pokemon out there.

Years
  • I agree so hard with Pikachu. I'm so sick of that little rat I just wish it would die or something. At least Raichu looks cooler. . .

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2016
    PIkachu is by far not one of the cutest pokemon anymore. Maybe in generation 1 he was the easiest chose if you wanted a likable face that would appeal to more children. Honestly I think Dratini is cuter and in general more likable. Their are a ton of good mascot choices out their now , wish a different poke was getting used.

Rotom-W is on every team and always does about the same thing. Tired of his nonsense xD

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Honestly? I don't really get bored of Pokemon. I'm probably one of the few that still uses Pikachu frequently in older games. If I get bored of anything, its my entire team. I always have to change my teams a lot because I get so bored of them at times.

I do get tired of Rattata, Grimer and Zubat though, especially in White 2 or in caves. Like, can we PLEASE have other pokemon capable of being in caves? DDDD:

Back