• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are some weird things you've noticed?

Ev Trainer X

Your average insane gamer
Years
  • Aside from the obvious, I mean. I'm talking game mechanics, NPCs, things of that nature.

For example, Reflect and Light Screen. They halve damage from Physical and Special Attacks respectively, right? But here's the thing: They're both Psychic type moves, and yet they still affect Dark type moves, when, theoretically, they shouldn't be able to. Weird, innit?

=(^.^)=

Rawrr♥ PC's Snugglemonster
    Years
  • You can hit Dustox, a moth pokemon that could theoretically fly into the air, with ground type moves such as Earthquake. XD? Same goes for other pokemon that have wings yet aren't flying type and don't have Levitate. I always laugh when I EQ them to death. Hehe x3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't get why some Pokemon, like Tyranitar, Rhydon and Rampardos, can learn Surf, yet they're weak to the move itself.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    I dont understand why gyarados and mantine ore water/flying pokemon x_x
    Other than that, how is it that team rocket makes all this trouble and not a single cop comes to help

Other than that, how is it that team rocket makes all this trouble and not a single cop comes to help

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • ^ LMFAO that's so creepy

Genesect can be taught Flamethrower, which it has a x4 weakness too. Plus...a fire-breathing bug? That's just funny. Can also teach if Fly BUT EH.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    ^ LMFAO that's so creepy

Genesect can be taught Flamethrower, which it has a x4 weakness too. Plus...a fire-breathing bug? That's just funny. Can also teach if Fly BUT EH.

wouldnt the flamethrower come out of his cannon?

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • Pikachu went on a diet after Gen II
    Nidoking and Nidoqueen have the color opposite for what boy and girl colors should be (Blue is generally for boys yet Nikoking is pink/purple and Nidoqueen is blue) this is changed for their shinies though

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Pikachu went on a diet after Gen II
    Nidoking and Nidoqueen have the color opposite for what boy and girl colors should be (Blue is generally for boys yet Nikoking is pink/purple and Nidoqueen is blue) this is changed for their shinies though

i dont see anything weird with the nidos but its true, pikachu did go on a diet. lol. it used to be fatter.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Generally when you put a pokemon to sleep it shouldn't be able to move. However if used on a pokemon that commonly flees, it somehow is able to run while sleeping... I guess they're just sleep walkers. O.o
    (Funniest thing I ever saw involved with sleep running pokemon is I put Entei to sleep and then it fled. The next bunch of times I met Entei in the wild, he was still asleep from that previous battle...)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The Kimono Girls have different names in the English localisation of games they appear in, yet those names are still Japanese, so why they were changed at all is rather confounding.

a fire-breathing bug? That's just funny.
    While it doesn't quite shoot fire, the real-world bombardier beetle has a rather impressive 'breath weapon'.

About Gyarados, see:
    Gyarados is partially based on a legend about how carp that leapt over the Dragon Gate would become dragons.
    So it's somewhat like why Doduo/Dodrio is flying-typed — great jumping ability. It remains more of a sea monster than a dragon though, so it doesn't get dragon typing, just moves.
    Notice how Magikarp's jump stat for the Pokéthlon goes up to five stars.

Now regarding Mantine, I guess since it can glide through the air like a flying fish.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I always thought it was weird how in RSE, you could battle underwater with fire types and it have no effect on their fire moves or anything. It was especially weird with a pokemon like Charmander and its evolution line, who apparently should die if the flame on their tails were to go out.

That goes for anything like having certain types of pokemon battle outside of their 'areas', like having fish types battle in places like buildings, middle of a field, etc. where there isn't much water.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't think it's related to this but what I find strange is the critical hit damage. E.g. a Pokémon uses a move and it doesn't do that much damage. In the mean time your Pokémon healed from leftovers and leech seed and whatnot, and then the next turn the other Pokémon uses the same move and gets a crit, and this time it knocks out your Pokémon. I don't get that because I thought that the damage would just be doubled but it seems like tripled or something.

Years
  • Generally when you put a pokemon to sleep it shouldn't be able to move. However if used on a pokemon that commonly flees, it somehow is able to run while sleeping... I guess they're just sleep walkers. O.o
    (Funniest thing I ever saw involved with sleep running pokemon is I put Entei to sleep and then it fled. The next bunch of times I met Entei in the wild, he was still asleep from that previous battle...)

I was going to post this, along with not being able to hit Flygon with Earthquake, even though it is part Ground type.

Years
  • @Cassino On the topic of the Kimono Girls, one of them was originally named "Sumomo" in the Japanese version of G/S/C but in HG/SS her name was changed to "Komomo" to avoid confusion with Maylene's Japanese name.

Centiflora X

Thread Killer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2011
    Flying/Levitating Pokémon used Dig!
    Another Pokémon used Earthquake!

It doesn't affect Flying/Levitating Pokémon using Dig...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • You're the only one who "whites/blacks out" if all your Pokemon faint and return to a Pokemon Center. What about all those trainers in the grass who you defeat? How are they gonna defend against wild Pokemon attacks if you already fainted their Pokemon?

How do guys like in the Battle Frontier get their hands on legendary Pokemon when many of them are supposedly one of a kind?

Back