• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are the odds?

Years
  • I was levelling up a Sliggoo on Exeggutor island and I came across a shiny Exeggcute, now an amazing shiny Alolan Exeggutor. I was wondering what the odds of this happening are. I have never done anything to look for shinies and did not have the shiny charm. I also wasn't looking for it either, just ran into it walking through the grass. What are the odds of something like this happening? Seeing as I've never encountered a shiny in any game before I would assume the odds are low but is there any official number or just speculation? Any help from you guys would be great!

Steven C.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I was levelling up a Sliggoo on Exeggutor island and I came across a shiny Exeggcute, now an amazing shiny Alolan Exeggutor. I was wondering what the odds of this happening are. I have never done anything to look for shinies and did not have the shiny charm. I also wasn't looking for it either, just ran into it walking through the grass. What are the odds of something like this happening? Seeing as I've never encountered a shiny in any game before I would assume the odds are low but is there any official number or just speculation? Any help from you guys would be great!

Steven C.

Encountering a random shiny is a 1/4096 chance. So pretty low. Congratulations.

Years
  • Surprise shinies are one of the best things in Pokemon imo, in ORAS I was searching for an Electrike for my team under the cycling road and my first encounter was a shiny one! Anyway I'm sure the odds are super low, congrats on the shiny!

Black-Tigress

Exclusive Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2017
    Ooo, very cool! Yeah, the odds are 1 in 4096 - so that's an Awesome find!
    I hunt for them things, and sometimes it takes days for me to finally find another shiny.
    The ONLY surprise shiny I've ever encountered was a Zigzagoon within a horde (a 1 in 819 chance).
    Right now, my current hunt is a (full odds) shiny Oranguru - Cute Charming for a female one hopefully.
    But one day, I've got to get me one of them shiny tree dragons sometime... :3

Years
  • Getting a shiny through random encounter is always a glorious moment (I remember when I reacted to my shiny Yungoos, who I caught after only having my game for four days) so congrats on the shiny. Maybe you might try SOS shiny chaining sometime?

Years
  • This is late, but congratulations on your first shiny!! If you want more, I do encourage you to go SOS chaining. Read the guide I just linked if you're interested! It takes a lot of patience, but it can be especially rewarding; I've caught more shinies this generation than I ever have in every single generation prior.

I'm not sure I'd have the patience or sanity to try and catch more than one shiny Pokemon. I've got a lot of respect for the youtubers who spend hours upon hours hunting for them and not losing the drive to do so. The only Pokemon I've ever shiny "hunted" has been a Zorua in Omega Ruby. After about 100 encounters and a dozen repels, I've come to realize I don't have the patience to go after shinies.

I think the fact that I won't ever go after shinies makes my shiny Alolan Executor that much more special as it'll probably be the only shiny Pokemon I ever get.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2020
    As stated previously, it's a VERY low chance.

I just happened to stumble upon a shiny Yungoos on route 1 after just resetting my game.

Now in no way do I plan on using it, but it's still cool for bragging rights :D.

Maya

Fairy-type Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I was levelling up a Sliggoo on Exeggutor island and I came across a shiny Exeggcute, now an amazing shiny Alolan Exeggutor. I was wondering what the odds of this happening are. I have never done anything to look for shinies and did not have the shiny charm. I also wasn't looking for it either, just ran into it walking through the grass. What are the odds of something like this happening? Seeing as I've never encountered a shiny in any game before I would assume the odds are low but is there any official number or just speculation? Any help from you guys would be great!

Steven C.

Congratulations! The chances of finding two in a row like that really are almost next to none.
    I've only randomly encountered 3 shinies in over 15 years of playing pokemon.

Years
  • Congratulations! The chances of finding two in a row like that really are almost next to none.
    I've only randomly encountered 3 shinies in over 15 years of playing pokemon.

Thanks! Catching those two shiny Pokemon makes me want to go and try to find more lol. I'll probably pick a Pokemon and go and see if I can find the shiny version. I never really understood the fascination with shiny Pokemon until I encountered one myself.

Maya

Fairy-type Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Thanks! Catching those two shiny Pokemon makes me want to go and try to find more lol. I'll probably pick a Pokemon and go and see if I can find the shiny version. I never really understood the fascination with shiny Pokemon until I encountered one myself.

I was the same, I thought I'd never get one so I didn't worry about it. When I found one, I suddenly realised it was actually possible and I was desperate to get more. You should go for it! Shiny chaining is different and a lot easier (I think) in sun/moon too. Just watch some tutorials :)

Years
  • I was the same, I thought I'd never get one so I didn't worry about it. When I found one, I suddenly realised it was actually possible and I was desperate to get more. You should go for it! Shiny chaining is different and a lot easier (I think) in sun/moon too. Just watch some tutorials :)

I think I'll go for it! After a bit of looking I've narrowed down which shiny I'd like to find to either Stufful or Sandygast. Bewear is my favourite Gen. 7 Pokemon but I think Sandygast has the best shiny. I can't decide which to go for. I think I'm leaning towards Sandygast just because it's easier to find.

Years
  • I think I'll go for it! After a bit of looking I've narrowed down which shiny I'd like to find to either Stufful or Sandygast. Bewear is my favourite Gen. 7 Pokemon but I think Sandygast has the best shiny. I can't decide which to go for. I think I'm leaning towards Sandygast just because it's easier to find.

The downside is Sandygast is Ghost-type, meaning False Swipe will be useless. I'd say try and go for Stufful first since it's not much of an annoyance to catch.

Maya

Fairy-type Fanatic
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I think I'll go for it! After a bit of looking I've narrowed down which shiny I'd like to find to either Stufful or Sandygast. Bewear is my favourite Gen. 7 Pokemon but I think Sandygast has the best shiny. I can't decide which to go for. I think I'm leaning towards Sandygast just because it's easier to find.

Awesome! I'd say Bewear too, I quite like the shiny form, and it will feel good to have your favourite. Like Hikamaru mentioned, it will be easier to catch too, so better for a first try. Good luck! :)

Back