• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you currently reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I've been reading the draft of a novel that my friend Harriet wrote called Supernature. It's about these 6 people who have developed what are essentially superpowers. Though increasingly unlikely "coincidental" events, they are brought together to bring about the end of the world. What I've found quite interesting is that the focus is not on the mutations and more the interaction between the characters.

Each chapter is told from the perspective of a different character to highlight their personalities and their opinions of each other, it makes for quite an interesting web of development, a few chapters near the end are basically the same events told through the eyes of different characters, and the way they describe everything differently from each other was quite funny.

If she gets it published, I'd recommend it!

Years
    Started another Diana Wynn Jones book, The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1, which is apparently two books in one. So are Vol. 2 and 3, it seems. I picked up a half dozen of her books recently so I'm not going to have a shortage any time soon.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
    I've just started reading a book called A Man Rides Through. It's the second volume of the the Mordant's Need series. It's a fantasy series that was written in the 1980s. I'm enjoying it a lot, although its more adult than I thought it was going to be. I got it and lot of other books when they were clearing out the school library, which made me think it would be more oriented to younger audiences. But it's actually very violent and includes a somewhat detailed mention of... 'Grown up' things. It's probably lucky none of the kids in my school ever did pick it up.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Gone with The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Scarlett O'Hara is just an amazing character, incredibly well-written and you can't help but understand her perfectly when she makes the vow of never going hungry again, when she makes the transition from Southern belle who lives just to mess around with her beau to hardened woman who will fight for herself and do anything to survive.
    I haven't finished the book yet (about halfway through), but so far it is one of my favorite books of all time.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I'm reading two right now: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy which is another book required for my spy fiction class that I want to finish before I start school and The Uknown Story: Mao.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy took me a bit to get into it but I did within the third chapter and now i'm breezing through it. There's a lot to remember, but hey, it happens with a story about espionage dealing with different countries and aliases. As for Mao, it's basically the biography of one of China's leaders and I find it extrememly interesting. Chinese history is an area of history I never quite touched or learned a lot about, so it's a change from what I normally read in terms of history. I like it though.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i am reading Dragonsdawn by Anne McCaffrey. its not my favorite book in the dragonriders of pern series it has more sci-fi than i am used to but i dont think she could write a bad book

minajeh

bad *****
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2011
    I got some book from the library today called 'If You Knew Then What I Know Now' by some ***** named Ryan Van Meter. It better be good.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    At the moment I'm not reading anything, but I was reading 'Crime and Punishment' by Dostoevsky a while ago, but couldn't find the time to continue it due to school. But since we're going on a holiday the next week, I was thinking about taking it with me so I can continue reading, I absolutely loved it, and English is not my first language so it's also a good practice lol.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Alien by Alan Dean Foster. He's done very well in his novelization of the film, especially the revelation that Ash is actually an android. Scary stuff, man.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I just picked up The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski from the library, which looked like a good read. After looking it up online and seeing a lot of reader reviews, I'm a little turned off that I got this over the other book I was contemplating on getting. Hopefully my opinion will side with the review of Stephen King published on the back.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    Just finished reading Jodi Picoult's My sister's keeper. It was awesome and sad at the same time ;A; And I'm planning to read another book by Jodi Picoult called Nineteen Minutes :D

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
    At present, I am reading Last of the Wilds, second book in Trudi Canavan's Age of Five trilogy. I quite enjoyed The Black Magician trilogy, so I figured I'd give these a go. The first book in the series was rather good, and whilst I can predict how these are going to end up (I have this horrible habit of predicting novel plots and usually being right...) I'm still enjoying them; Canavan has an excellent writing style that vaguely reminds me of Sanderson.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    I'm reading a few books right now-- One's a biography about Grace Hopper. I don't know who wrote it or anything, cause I don't have it with me. But it's pretty interesting, and definitely different than other computer history books I've read. Not just because it's a biography of a person, not the industry as a whole; but because I don't know much about that era, as of yet.

I'm also *still!* reading Fire in the Valley by Paul Freiberger and Michael Swaine. Another computer history book, yes. It's pretty in-depth, and as a result is also really heavy. xD It's not my favorite book on the subject, I'm just not feeling it. But I'm going to finish it anyways, see if it gets any better.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran. I like it a lot, it's certainly intriguing. Though I'm only 80 pages in, Moran has done well to keep me interested. The description of the clothes and the goddesses are very well done.

=(^.^)=

Rawrr♥ PC's Snugglemonster
    Years
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I'm rereading it, actually. It happens to be one of my favorite books :3
    I love how he created a unique fantasy story containing that classic taste of magic and dragons and medieval-ness without making it cliche'd at all. The movie does not give the book justice. <3

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I finished Game of Thrones the other day and I'm currently reading the second book in the series. I liked it well enough but I find it a bit of a chore to read since I'm not really used to high fantasy and medieval-based things usually aren't that interesting to me, but I feel invested enough in the characters now that I feel required to read the rest of the books. :(

I'm trying to read quickly because my roommates are reading the first book and will want our only copy of the second when they're done but I kind of want to pick something else up. I haven't gotten my library card in this city yet but even before that I have "Glow" which I won on GoodReads to read so if they do catch up, I might just take a break from the Song of Fire & Ice series and read some other stuff.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back