• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV What are you currently watching?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
  • Resumed watching Willow after having watched the film it is a sequel to (which I will comment on another day). Here's a meme I made right after to sum up my feelings on the current state of affairs.

Spoiler:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Finished Dangerous Liaisons, and I'm finishing Willow today. Don't plan on rewatching either ever again. God, please put me out of my suffering.

I'm also seriously considering dropping The Bad Batch because...
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Been on a Doctor Who and Torchwood binge recently, as all the episodes are available for free! My 'Chuck' boxset goes unopened, and still haven't made time to revisit Mando S2 (the big cameo at the end was spoiled for me by an image, which numbed the effect a bit - hoping it plays better 2nd time around) because I'm loving these!

I wasn't allowed to be my obsessive self with TV when the series aired, so there have been pleasant surprises in the form of Eccleston (like half) and Tennant episodes I haven't seen, and a lot of the more famous aspects still hold up - Captain Jack is still great (weird that two of my favourite pieces of culture from that era both had a Captain Jack), 'Doomsday' still got me with that ending, 'Blink' is still brilliant, and for whatever reason I still find 'The Impossible Planet / Satan Pit' to be one of the scarier ones…Catherine Tate's Christmas Special was so much better than I remembered too, she's brilliant!

I'm finishing series 3 today, and I have to say Martha had it rough in the back half of the series. Like, I know Rose got possessed, and briefly became a god…and sent to a parallel universe…but I feel like Martha never got a fun one. Then you have a run of - dropped 90% of the way into a Sun and having to face a possessed Doctor, hiding out in pre-WWI England as a servant because there's a new villain so scary that the Doctor hides, getting zapped into the 60s and having to work again, briefly being trapped at the end of the universe, then the finale…I mean, proper resistance stuff there. But a great companion.

Also, Torchwood is even darker than I remembered (or at least Gwen is, I always remembered her as flawless) but still great.

Much like GoT and Harry Potter (with tons of crossovers with the former, including Viserys and Jojen Reed in the same episode!), the amount of recognisable British actors still takes me by surprise. Personal favourites so far:
    - Vicious from the live action Cowboy Bebop as a Torchwood antagonist
    - Andrew Garfield versus Daleks!

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Gave the season 3 premiere of The Mandalorian a chance against my better judgment.

It was a decent opener, and I was here mostly for the Grogu Baby Yoda cuteness, which there was plenty of. I'm just sad I'm not as taken by any of the Mandalorian characters as I was when I watched the first series - especially Mando himself. I'll be honest; I'm still pissed by the hijack they all pulled at the end of The Book of Boba Fett last year. Those plotlines should have been resolved in The Mandalorian itself so that BoBF could make its protagonist (and Tem himself) properly shine as he deserved. 😭

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Gave the season 3 premiere of The Mandalorian a chance against my better judgment.

It was a decent opener, and I was here mostly for the Grogu Baby Yoda cuteness, which there was plenty of. I'm just sad I'm not as taken by any of the Mandalorian characters as I was when I watched the first series - especially Mando himself. I'll be honest; I'm still pissed by the hijack they all pulled at the end of The Book of Boba Fett last year. Those plotlines should have been resolved in The Mandalorian itself so that BoBF could make its protagonist (and Tem himself) properly shine as he deserved. 😭

Spoiler:

I binged S2 and the Mando episodes of Boba the last two days before the premiere. First time around I wasn't particularly disappointed in Boba Fett as I'd never cared for him (just a guy in a helmet who gets killed by a blind Han Solo, whereas his dad kicked fricking Obi-Wan!!!! all over Kamino and even had a cool death) but watching them back-to-back, Mando S2 actually made me think "hey, this guy is pretty cool!" (and I'm glad they didn't recast) then BOB did nothing interesting. I'm still ambivalent over Mando now being a chosen one figure with a lightsaber, although it was at least pretty cool to see him actively suck at using it - something the sequels did a little of with Finn, but didn't have time to lean into (which I'm fine with, he's a fully grown child soldier, he should seem reasonably competent before getting his ass kicked by firstly someone far more motivated and familiar with their weapon, then that + insane force powers).

Do you think if there hadn't been the Mando hijack, that they might have fleshed out more of Cad Bane? Like, he's so obviously modelled on Lee Van Cleef's characters in the Dollars movies (cool) and beats Timothy Olyphant in a shoot-out (also cool) so it was a great character introduction…but then the next episode he has a whole history that we're just barely going to talk about, and its clearly supposed to have weight when he dies, but if you haven't watched the animated shows it really does't. Mando S2 should have had the same problem, but because he's been so clueless about the wider world he's involved in and the structure was always "I was told to do this thing, can you answer my questions?" "No, here's your next quest", it mostly worked for me - the "Where is Grand Admiral Thrawn" line was the only grating one in 'The Jedi', and Bo-Katan introducing the idea that our protagonist is a brainwashed cultist adds to him going forward, like I want him to fail so he can move beyond The Armorer's control to take his helmet off and let Baby Yoda see his face again.

Spoiler:

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Finished The Catch and A Girl and an Astronaut, almost done with The English Game, and continuing with The Mandalorian.

The Catch was well-done despite being really short! I'd read a summary of the plot of the book, and honestly I found the resolution of the series way more coherent than the one in the book. The villain was definitely way more interesting, at least. 😉 Same for The English Game. I thought I'd never be interested in a series about association football, but I ended up liking how it tackles historical class issues and how they mingled with the history of the sport. It certainly helps that it's written by the creator of Downton Abbey, and that one of the leads is Edward Holcroft (Charlie Hesketh from the Kingsman movies) in a rare non-villainous/antiheroic role. He's hot when he's playing bad guys but seeing him all soft and adorable... oof, I'm down bad.

A Girl and an Astronaut... oh boy. I don't know what I was expecting, but at the end I felt like there were a million more ways towards which they could have angled the series instead of the boring love triangle plot they went with. Nadia was the real MVP here - I mean, why didn't they devote the series to what Niko meant to her in her search for a cure for her ALS? For that matter, why did Marta constantly brush off her daughter's questions about her past? Which brings me to another scenario; the series could have also been more interesting if Niko's sudden reappearance and Marta's attitude towards it prompted Oliwia to question her parentage. Such a disappointment. I do not recommend watching it unless you're bored out of your mind and/or want to hate-watch it.

Lastly, this was my reaction to the latest episode of The Mandalorian:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    For current airing shows Im watcing Mandolorian and Tomo-chan.

Im also rewatching Kaguya, Ranma and Cobra Kai

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • Carnival Row (2019 - 2023)

It's holding my attention as a neat combination of genres. A murder mystery set in a steampunk alternate world with different oppressed classes of high fantasy creatures, some situations of social satire and a little romance. I like the world-building, and it is never boring, with conspiracies, danger and killings waiting just around the corner, and episodes often ending at the most suspenseful point, leaving me antsy for the next episode, wondering how Philo or Vignette will escape.

There are multiple plot twists that i think worked, and with one or two exceptions i didn't guess the secrets before they were revealed. Ocassionally i felt they got a little too cute by adding twists on top of twists that didn't seem necessary. At least that was how i felt about the shenannigans with the note at the end of season 1. There wasn't much motive for the character to take part in this scheme, other than to surprise the audience. For the most part the story is fun though.

The haunting, Dickensian atmosphere of the Burgue feels just right. Orlando Bloom does a solid job in this character stretch, he looks haggard by what he's seen as an inspector, his childhood in an orphanage and the horrors of war he has been through. Carla Delevigne seems a capable actrsss also, and fits the part of a faerie with her waiflike build, elfin facial features and piercing blue eyes.

Being a story with a large cast of characters with intersecting lives i have opted not to analyze every single character and actor, but off the top of my head some artists that really stood out to me as giving great performances in their roles are David Gyasi, Alice Krige and Jarred Harris.

I think i left off around episode 5 of season 2. I will probably resume watching tonight. There are some characters that look like they are arching into some interesting directions, and i hope that is kept up as the show goes on.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I have no idea, and will probably never know, why Ghost Adventures was taken off TV for as long as it was and had been... but it's back on TV again so I'm watching it again

stringzzz

Banned
    Days
  • In my household we have a habit of leaving the game show channel on in the background, pretty much all day. So yeah, just constant trivia, even though I don't even really pay attention to it most of the time.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • Midway through watching Season 1 of From (2022-ongoing) and like it!

It's got an interesting and original concept with juicy mysteries to solve. I would call it a slow burner that spends time on character development and relationships. Cliches have been avoided so far. When I think I have an idea of where the story is going something will happen to subvert my expectations, at least a little bit, and make things more complex and disturbing than I anticipated. The monsters are used sparingly, but my blood runs cold when these flesh-eating fiends finally do emerge from the shadows with their eerie smiles. The directors are quite good at squeezing every ounce of suspense from these scenes that they can. The writers are also not afraid to kill their characters, even likeable and major ones.

Sometimes nonlinear storytelling is utilized, like an out-of-context flash of an event that happened in the past or hasn't happened yet, but the puzzle pieces later fit together to show you something important about present situations and characters. I think it all works well, and feel like while it's taking it's time, it's ultimately going somewhere,

There are some good performances in there. Harold Perrineau who plays sheriff Boyd has been awesome at holding series together, just like he does the community on screen. I also think the actress who plays the troubled Sara is good, and I like Donna, the tough leader of the colony house. I would like to see some more of Viktor as well, he can act and looks like he is going to have a fascinating role to play in the grand scheme.

Episodes repeatedly end near climatic point that make me anxious to roll on to a new one, even when I'm sleepy and want to call it a night, it's hard to turn the TV off. I wanted to see something scary with Halloween almost here, and got what I was looking for!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Still trying to get through Once Upon a Time. It's been a loooong journey because the writing got pretty choppy in later seasons so my watching became a bit sporadic.

Just the final season to go now but - even though it wasn't perfect - the end of season 6 felt like a good place to finish if I'm honest. Not sure they should have gone further. Guess I'll find out soon!

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Online now
    I'm watching the first two seasons of 12 oz. Mouse by Matt "co-creator of Aqua Teen Hunger Force" Maiellaro. It's scheduled to leave the streaming service Max at the end of December. Warning: the show isn't just crude and adult. It's super weird even by [adult swim] standards. Anyway, I'm watching the series at night time, which might be part of the charm, I suppose.

Back