• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you reading?

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years
    I just finished a book on Jack the Ripper. I had read about the case but had never read anything packed together in a book, so I found it pretty interesting.

I've moved on to a stack of books I've been meaning to get to on the Romanov family.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I'm reading Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I've already read the five main Foundation books, and am working really out of order for the rest of them. As a sci-fi fan, it's good for me to read the best series of all time.

I like it so far. I'm not all that far in it (only read the first two chapters), but I'm interested in the characters, and it's fun to see what references to later books are mentioned.

Please restore my faith in Pokécommunity by not letting this die in like two seconds.
    YES.

My goodness, the amount of times this thread has been created because it dies is just sad.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I've finally had a chance to sit down and have a good read as it's the Summer holidays here.

I've recently read:
    - The Five Greatest Warriors (Matthew Reilly). It was good, his books generally are and I want to read the next book.
    - Some Chris Ryan book which I've forgotten the name of. Pretty good as well, though not as interesting as Reilly's.

And now I'm moving onto Dan Brown's new book, The Lost Symbol.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I am currently reading "Eyes Like Mine" by Paul Cody. Its a great book! I have read 4 chapters so far. =D

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I'm a fan of dystopian novels, and this one is apparently one, if then not the best. Granted, I've only read a couple pages so far, but it's definitely got me interested right from the beginning.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I'm a fan of dystopian novels, and this one is apparently one, if then not the best. Granted, I've only read a couple pages so far, but it's definitely got me interested right from the beginning.
    Ridley Scott and Leonardo DiCaprio are teaming up to make a film adaptation of Brave New World, which should be interesting considering he's got two other films under his belt. Why this involves DiCaprio, I'll never understand.

What am I reading.......recipes for Christmas treats.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm currently reading "The Strangers of Paragor". I originally thought it was just about 6 teenagers going to the world of the angels. But it's actually not what I expected, being more about Elves, 5 kingdoms and the teens' quests to reunite and get back to their world.

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
    Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen yesterday
    Recent reads:

True Talents by David Lubar- sequel to Hidden Talents, recommend both

The Hunt for the Seventh by Christine Morton-Shaw, recommend

Dreamhouse King series, Robert Liparulo (currently reading but still)

The Maze Runner, Can't remember the author but will edit once I do.

Current Reads:

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan, recommend

A Song of Ice and Fire series, (waiting for A Dance of Dragons.)- George R.R. Martin- recommend

Pokemon Special/Adventures Hidenori Kusaka and Satoshi Yamamoto (on DP arc)- recommend

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years

It's good, and is an interesting take on dystopia, especially if you are familiar with the time period it was written at (especially the ideas of Mr. Ford and Freud).

However, in many ways I consider it inferior to 1984.

Years
    I just finished reading 1984 (one of the books I have to read over summer for English). It's not that bad - not my favourite book but it definitely makes you think. I think I'll have to re-read it a couple of times to fully understand it, though. I've also got to read Into Thin Air by John Krakaeur, but I could only get three pages in before I was bored as hell, and that's the first time that's ever happened with a book. I always try and give books a chance and at least read two chapters but this book was horrible.

Nincada

Please be kind.
    Years
    You need to read about things that interest you personally, that way you ar eless likely to have to drop it.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
    I could only get three pages in before I was bored as hell, and that's the first time that's ever happened with a book

Wow. I find it hard to imagine how an account of people fighting to survive on Everest could be boring, but I guess it's certainly possible it got off to a slow start. Also, if you don't care at all for the outdoors or have little interest in outdoor sports/activities, Krakauer's possibly not the writer for you, though in my experience his work is fairly accessible. I read "Into the Wild" and it was as much a tale of human longing and discontent as it was a journalistic survival story.

ANYWAY. Here's a game for this thread: post the first sentence/passage of whatever book you are currently reading or have just started reading. Here's mine, from "The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation: Volume 1, The Pox Party" (yeah you know I had to type that whole thing out):

I was raised in a gaunt house with a garden; my earliest recollections are of floating lights in the apple-trees.

OH ALSO. This is the first sentence (discounting the Preface because that hardly feels like part of the actual book) of Oliver Sacks' "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for A Hat", because I'm doing that two books at once thang:

Neurology's favorite word is 'deficit', denoting an impairment or incapacity of neurological function: loss of speech, loss of language, loss of memory, loss of vision, loss of dexterity, loss of identity and and myriad other lacks and losses of specific functions (or faculties).

Last edited:
    Years
    First line of the book I'm currently reading:

Her Fearful Symmetry said:
    Elspeth died while Robert was standing in front of a vending machine watching tea shoot into a small plastic cup.

Also, IMO, Animal Farm is a better book than 1984. Maybe I had too high of expectations when I read 1984, but it didn't wow me like I felt a book which is supposed to be the book on distopian futures should.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    It's good, and is an interesting take on dystopia, especially if you are familiar with the time period it was written at (especially the ideas of Mr. Ford and Freud).

However, in many ways I consider it inferior to 1984.

I'm on the flip-side - I feel that 1984 is inferior to Brave New World. It just seemed to have more of a flow to it, more of a rounded story, and a better grip on where society was headed.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov. I've just finished Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation, and Foundation. Also, a few other short story compendiums by Isaac Asimov.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Last thing I read was Endymion from the Hyperion series.

I haven't had a book to read in a while, I just never make time to read it. I do plan on going to the library today though to get a book on chess, not sure it will help my strategies though.

Sorry this post sucks :P

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
    I finished Omen:p I am now reading: An Incomplete Education: 3,684 Things You Should Have Learned, But Probably Didn't.

Kleinchen

boldly going
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Jun 4, 2013
    Currently I am reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, primarily for an essay contest that is due in April (I need to start doing more scholarship essays... college looms @w@). It's fairly interesting but I can already tell that it's not gonna be omg my favorite book ever or anything. From what I understand, Atlas Shrugged is by far its superior, so I think I might read it over the summer when I have more time.

I just finished reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for my AP Lit class, which was enjoyable, but again, not my favorite read.

For fun, I am reading a Pride and Prejudice thing about what would happen if Darcy were a vampire. I originally bought it for my mom, whose two favorite books are Pride and Prejudice and the Twilight series, but she was apalled that someone would degrade P&P that way so xD; I started reading it thinking it would be pretty funny but it's actually proven to be pretty decent, a lot better than I thought it would be. It is by no means my favorite book ever but it's fairly entertaining when I need a mindless break. x3

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
    Well right now i'm reading what i'm typing

No but really tonight i'll be reading Encyclopedia of Chess Wisdom, although I really should read it when i'm more rested right now, so it's easier to learn from it. I probably should of got a simpler book on chess, but I guess it does cover all the basics....

After Christmas i'll be reading one of the newer books from the Ender's Game series, can't remember if it was Ender in Exile or A War of Gifts that I asked for. The last one would be more appropriate for Christmas time though lol

Ender's Game is definitely my favorite series.

Back