• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What are your favourite tunes?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • What songs from either DPPt or HGSS did you enjoy? Is it a battle theme, or say a town or route theme? Did the music in general get your thumbs up or an eternal frown of disapproval? And how did the music from each set of games fair against each other; that is, which had better tunes?

Years
  • You must not get me started on the music. Ever. :P

Well I pretty much loved the entire HGSS soundtrack, since I truly believe GSC had the best score ever. They were remade fantastically (that National Park theme? Just.. stop).

Usually it's the Battle themes that stand out most for me; my favourite Battle themes in HGSS would definitely be the Champion/Red battle theme, the Kanto Gym battle theme, and.. well, pretty much all the other battle themes in the game, haha. Otherwise, I like the National Park Music, Cianwood City's remix, the music for the new routes/safari zone, and... I'll just keep naming them all. I adore them all. :P

In DPPt, I quite like the music, too. Again, mainly the battle themes (such as Cynthia's theme, or Dialga/Palkia's theme- oh my lord). I also like the GTS music of Platinum, the Frontier Brain battle music, and Canalave City's music. I'll be totally honest, if I boot up my Platinum, I'll find more that I like. I really do like pretty much all of the music in the Pokemon games, haha.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • D/P/Pt: I liked all of the battle themes, especially the rival's, Cyrus', the Frontier Brains' and Dialga/Palkia's. In terms of general area music, Route 209's music is the best, IMO, the Old Chateau has the right degree of creepiness in it, and the Game Corner's music is so upbeat and reminds me of the R/B/Y/FR/LG's Game Corner.

HG/SS: I liked all of the music in Kanto. It felt good listening to them again after not playing FR/LG for the past couple years. I also like Red's battle theme for the epicness.

Years
  • While I prefer the original version from GSC, I have a soft spot for the LUCKY NUMBER SHOW!

Yee-haw! How Y'all doin now?! Whether you're up, or way down low, don't you miss the Lucky Number Show!

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • D/P/Pt: Floaroma Town (Calming, and quite soothing.)

HG/SS: Ecruteak City (Sounds very much like traditional Japanese music. Very unique. I love it.)

I'd have to say HG/SS took the "Best Pokémon Tunes" award out of D/P/Pt's grasp.

Years
  • The Kanto leader theme in HGSS was my favorite, along with the champion music for that game. HGSS just had great music in general.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years

• Well I pretty much loved the entire HGSS soundtrack, since I truly believe GSC had the best score ever. They were remade fantastically (that National Park theme? Just.. stop).
    Someone's on my wavelength! I've even listened to the 30 minute extended version of the National Park theme on YouTube, I love it so much. Indeed, both of my favourite Pokemon tracks come from the 4th Generation, with the tender beauty of the National Park in HGSS being contrasted with the jazzy funk of Veilstone City in Platinum. I love both of these tracks in equal measure, and it's Gen IV that I have to thank for them!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • The Kanto leader theme in HGSS was my favorite, along with the champion music for that game. HGSS just had great music in general.

Agreeing with Toshiro here.

I absoloutely adored the HGSS Kanto Gym Leader music, the Johto Gym Leader music was pretty great too, but after hearing the Johto Gym Leader music for majority of the game, it was a great refresher to hear the Kanto theme. It made the Johto theme extremely subtle, although enjoyable I found the Kanto theme to be much more lively and dramatic.

Really, HGSS and Dppt had amazing music in general -- HGSS, slighter more imo, mainly because many sets of soundtracks sounded like the originals, but also upbeat and modern. The Sinnoh themes were great too, but comparing the 'feel' I got from them with that of HGSS, HGSS wins hands down.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I really enjoyed Cynthia's battle theme as well as the battle theme for Team Galactic's Commanders and the boss Cyrus in D/P/Pt. Those themes really gave the impression that you were in for an intense, major fight and set the mood almost perfectly. I can't think of any tunes in HG/SS that really stuck out... the remixed Team Rocket theme wasn't as epic as it was back in the originals, and the rest of the music didn't stick out to me either. So overall, I'd say that D/P/Pt were better music wise.

That said, I preferred my own music most of the time in both games, such as on routes and in towns.

Years
  • I agree that the music in Heart Gold and Soul Silver was some of the best in the Pokemon series. While I enjoyed the remixes and updates to all of the pieces, I would no doubt have to say that my favorite music in the game was the Game Corner / Lucky Numbeer Show. It was my favorite along with the Ruins of Alph music in the originals, so I was glad to see the remakes do it justice.

I wasn't really a fan of the D/P/Pt music all that much. I didn't really care for it, but didn't dislike it either. And aside from Cynthia's battle music, I can't say that any other music from the games has stuck with me.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • HOLY **** YES ROUTE 29. THAT IS THE BEST SONG I HAVE EVER HEARD

Well not really, but starting at around 2/3 through the loop the climax appears, and it turns into a holy orchestra of flying doves and I'm crying with joy.

Okay so it's not that good, but I like the melody, the orchestration, and it sounds like a lot of work went into this (even though it's just a midi song).

Also an honorable mention is Route 201/202. :D

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I like a lot of the soundtracks! Cynthia, Dialga/Palkia, Rival, Lake trio, & Cyrus battles from DPPt, Lance/Red battle from HGSS.

I don't really know why exactly but when I would play through the games those would always stick with me, maybe it was because they were fast-paced.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • From D/P/Pt, well, I liked it all really. I'm sort of developing a bias for Sinnoh due to Pokespecial :/ But standouts, to me, were the Rival pearllllll battle theme, the Galactic Grunt battle theme, the trainer battle theme, the Galactic Commanders battle theme, Cyrus's battle theme, Cynthia's of course...Sinnoh had tons of good music, imo. OH YES, AND THIS

Spoiler:

AND THIS

Spoiler:

HG/SS...I loved it all, again. (Dat National Park and Ecruteak City, daaa-aaaaamn) Kanto Gym Leader was absolutely perfect, Johto Champion/Red was the unsurpassed and unsurpassable pinnacle of pokemon music, Johto Gym Leader was great too...skldfjslfjs HG/SS = love.

LadyAyeka

Warlord of Aurora
    Years
  • I recently did the Lugia fight in SoulSilver. The battle music for that is pretty epic. I think the music in that part when the Kimono Girls dance is pretty cool too.

For Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, hard to say, though the music for the Giratina encounter was pretty neat.

Years
  • Oh I love National Park (even though the old version is better haha).

Gotta be the Frontier Brain Battle music though. <3 I go to Battle Arcade and lose after 21 so I can face the brain again and hear the music lol.

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
  • OMG RED/LANCE MUSIC I LOVES IT SO MUCH jfsdlkflk

I haven't played Platinum in a long time, i forget what the music was like but one thing I loved was the Looker theme.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Almost everyone has mentioned National Park, which is very understandable, but in the end I'd say my favorite track from HGSS was definitely the Safari Zone entrance. I think HGSS had a better soundtrack than DPP, mainly because of its variety in emotions and instruments (there's a reason why everyone was fangirling over Ecruteak's music).

DPP had some great music, too; everything involving Cynthia, everything involving Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina...and, I know the Azure Flute was sadly neglected, and HGSS ended up using this music for the Legendary Egg event, but how can you not love Arceus's battle music?

Back