• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What are your feelings on the new attack system

Do you like the new change

• Yes

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I have to play the game to be sure of an opinion

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • pancakes

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

enyce

banned
    Years
    I know a lot of you probably heard of the new attack system. If you havent heard of this you can check King Shuckles thread "breaking news" or something.

Now Physical and Special attacks are not based on Type anymore. Are now based on the type of attack they are.

Like Crunch, Crabhammer and Dragon Claw are physical attacks. While moves such as Hyper Beam and Shadow Ball have become special attacks. This Benefits and Hinders a lot of pokemon.

Pokemon like Sneasel and Absol now have Dark attacks such as Crunch and faint attack to go with their decent attack. While Gengar now has a STAB for special.

I am not too fond of this, because this is a huge change. But I may get used to this. But I dont like this too much. Because the types of attacks based on types was much easier to understand.

Last edited:

enyce

banned
    Years
    Yeah thats true but I kind of wanted to have a topic to discuss this game mechanic. Seeing his thread is on multiple things. This focuses on this one particular game mechanic

hamir

Embrace yourselves
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    I think the new attack system is great.
    Tyranitar's crunch attack will be alot stronger. Cool ^^

Years
    A lot of pokemon will benifit from the new attack system, i must say. Like someone said above, Absol. that will become pritty tough to beat. And the evolution of Corpfish. That will be really good. Because it is Water/Dark and it have amasing attack. It will all fit. But i don't know. Some pokemon could be screwed over. But again, i think it will be intresting to see what happenes.

enyce

banned
    Years
    After the news of the new system. Sceptile has been completely screwed over.

There may be new attacks to help him out or something

Closet Geek

the nerd inside us all
    Years
    Sounds good to me!
    Should make the games a little more realistic. If an actual pokemon was hitting you with it's claws, you'd expect it to be good because of it's physique. You're right though, it'll take a lot of getting used to, it'll also be bad because I find that once I get used to a new game, it's hard to go back to my good ol' favorites :(

Years
    I think that it is a good idea. I love that Hyper Beam is finally a special attack! It is a game changing system that will help and hinder several pokemon.

someone1939

Just Plain Awesome
    Years
    I'm just wondering why Hyper-beam wasn't a special attack in the first place... can anyone help me out with Gamefreak's reasoning behind that?

Katakoe

Blah!
    Years
    Blah, it's taken me almost 6 years to get it down pack. x.x
    But Being the open minded person I am, i'll give it ago.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    MMMMMMMMMM....................PANCAKES................................................

I've had my suspicions on this ever since I first saw they made a "Blaze Kick" attack......well, my main comment has been made in the other thread.

As far as Sceptile goes, maybe it'll get Razor Leaf to try to replace Leaf Blade...or maybe there'll be exceptions...

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
    Ichapokemr said:
    I've had my suspicions on this ever since I first saw they made a "Blaze Kick" attack......well, my main comment has been made in the other thread.

Me 2. In fact, I think attacks should have up to 2 types too, i.e. blaze kick = fight, fire - The elemental punches (thunder, ghost, ice, etc.) = [Element], fight. 'Cause man, it's just confusing. And what do you guys think? Thinder/Fire/Ice Punch = Physical or Special?

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Ever since the R/B/Y games I have always wanted this. The change is definitely going to seriously mess up certain Pokémon (Sceptile anyone? =\), but certain Pokémon are finally going to get the attention they need (Crawdaunt + Swords Dance + Crabhammer + Crunch = Pwn.)
    And what do you guys think? Thinder/Fire/Ice Punch = Physical or Special?
    They'll probaly be physical attacks. I always found it weird that Fire, Ice- and Thunderpunch were special attacks. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

If the punches become physical attacks, Hitmonchan will become a whole lot more useful, but Alakazam will be completely ruined. Oh well, I guess it could do something with Shadow Ball, Psychic and possibly some new special moves in the D/P games.

enyce

banned
    Years
    At least Gardevior doesnt lose...it gains (shadow ball)

Overheat makes physical contact. Does that mean Overheat becomes physical?...Flareon/Blaziken anyone???

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Yes. Gardevoir will still pwn with Psychic and Thunderbolt, and as you said: Shadow Ball. But the elemental punches are also useful moves for Gardevoir. =\

Overheat looks physical to me. Flareon and Blaziken will both pwn if that happens.

Also, if the punches are physical attacks in D/P, Charizard will be a total killer. Fire Punch + STAB + Swords Dance. <3

Lathspell

T3H GR34T WH1T3
    Years
    Pancakes.
    Anyway, it will screw up the game. It doesn't make too much sense either, but meh, if it changes the game, I'm in for it. I'm just curious how are they gonna fit that on Pokemon NB.
    It's nice to see the entire game turned upside down. :D Chaos!!! Anarchy!!! Pancakes!!!

Years
    You know what? I'm acutally kinda looking forward to this. It's new, and it does make a tad bit more sense. ^^

That, and I wasn't much for strategy when making teams. I use the Pokemon I want to use, ignoring the attack and special attack of the Pokemon. I'm not a competitve battler, just someone who likes going though the games and beating it, using my favorites. ^^;;

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    enyce said:
    Overheat makes physical contact. Does that mean Overheat becomes physical?...Flareon/Blaziken anyone???

Since when does it make contact?? Overheat in the anime is clearly a special attack like Hyper Beam...and I doubt there can be that much of a difference in the games.

Back