• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Are Your Thoughts On A New Pokemon Engine?

Years
  • So, I'll reiterate once more :P Seeing as we seem to have a start, where do we go from here? Is there anything I can do to help? Would hosting at PlanetDev be wanted, or do you have a plan to host it at Calis or somewhere else?

nimmy23

Hi im nimmy23... Hi im nimmy23
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2012
    Is this project going to start and get off the ground or not?

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Here, is one concern that just popped into my head. It's minor, but it's a valid question that could affect some users. If it were to be compiled for Mac OS, would you release a universal binary (Intel and PowerPC support), or would you release just Intel? The reason I'm asking is because I, like some others, have a PowerPC-based Mac.
    Oh that won't be much of a problem, CodeBlocks has a whole bunch of compilers from powerpc to turboc++ nothing to worry about if we find someone thats willing to compile on their pc. plus it would be open source and multi platform (SDL + OpenGl) you can compile by your self

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Now I'll add my 2 cents and I think their worth more with my awesomest o.o big idea... lmao hahah just kidding but now its time to get serious grrr...

As most of us have seen, fameguru has started a project in java, now while I hate computer languages like java and php, he has a solid start. I think java isn't a bad language I just dont like it, but it is however easier to learn than c++ and it can do most of what c++ can do. So all those who want a new engine, why dont we gather together and help flameguru get the java poke engine to the next level...

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • Now I'll add my 2 cents and I think their worth more with my awesomest o.o big idea... lmao hahah just kidding but now its time to get serious grrr...

As most of us have seen, fameguru has started a project in java, now while I hate computer languages like java and php, he has a solid start. I think java isn't a bad language I just dont like it, but it is however easier to learn than c++ and it can do most of what c++ can do. So all those who want a new engine, why dont we gather together and help flameguru get the java poke engine to the next level...
    Read what it says under the OPs name :P
    Personally I also hate Java...
    But whats the similarity between Java and PHP?

KingCharizard

Years
  • Nothing, but they are both computer programming languages and I hate computer programming languages... I deal with java cause it can be used to create games...

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Now I'll add my 2 cents and I think their worth more with my awesomest o.o big idea... lmao hahah just kidding but now its time to get serious grrr...

Firstly, have you considered he might not want help from people who have never programmed in Java before?
    Secondly, C++ is noticeably faster than Java.

davidthefat: I just noticed you mentioned SDL. I've been using SFML, which does much the same things as SDL, but is designed to be object-oriented and makes better use of graphics hardware (I believe SDL uses software rendering, right?). You might want to check it out.

EDIT:

Nothing, but they are both computer programming languages and I hate computer programming languages... I deal with java cause it can be used to create games...
    So can C++ (and any other programming language). I don't see your point here.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Firstly, have you considered he might not want help from people who have never programmed in Java before?
    Secondly, C++ is noticeably faster than Java.

davidthefat: I just noticed you mentioned SDL. I've been using SFML, which does much the same things as SDL, but is designed to be object-oriented and makes better use of graphics hardware (I believe SDL uses software rendering, right?). You might want to check it out.

EDIT:

So can C++ (and any other programming language). I don't see your point here.
    Yes I just tried SFML 2 days ago, its pretty cool but I keep having problems trying to get the executable to run outside the IDE, I put the SFML DLLs in the folder

I have no problem with SDL yet, Im using it only for the windowing, input and sound, but OpenGL for all the rendering so it would be Hardware rendered

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Yes I just tried SFML 2 days ago, its pretty cool but I keep having problems trying to get the executable to run outside the IDE, I put the SFML DLLs in the folder

I have no problem with SDL yet, Im using it only for the windowing, input and sound, but OpenGL for all the rendering so it would be Hardware rendered

Have you tried asking on their forums? I'd try to help, but unless you're using XCode on Mac OS X, I don't think I'd be able to :P

I didn't know you were using OpenGL for all the rendering. I guess performance would be pretty similar between the two then.

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Have you tried asking on their forums? I'd try to help, but unless you're using XCode on Mac OS X, I don't think I'd be able to :P

I didn't know you were using OpenGL for all the rendering. I guess performance would be pretty similar between the two then.
    Im in the planning process right now, and Im leaning away from the traditional pokemon game, it won't even be in the same genre LOL. Im thinking of a top down shooter, and obviously I am not an artist so the early stages will definately have "Programmer art" or the sprites from the mystery dungeon series. Im leaning toward the latter. WxWidgets for the GUI and SDL for input and windowing and ect and OpenGL for rendering. Its all planning on paper/google docs, will maybe post up my google docs when I got a pretty good brain storm going on

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2021
    Yeah, it'd be a good idea. But why can't we make an "universal" game? I mean, so everybody can play it even if they have Linux, Mac, Windows, not-very-known OSes, etc.

It's 100% possible, but it must be made in the Web. If you want to see an example, here you can see an engine I made (RPG4JS). It uses the <CANVAS> tag plus hundreds of JS (it can be simplified into a very simple language).

(You can see it uses a full image as a map, in newer versions it has support for tiled maps (which works slower)).

Yeah, I know. It doesn't work very well yet, it's outdated, and it uses the HTML tag <CANVAS>, which is not supported by IE (it's supported by Firefox's Gecko engine, and Apple's WebKit engine (Chrome and Safari uses this). It's also supported by Opera).

The advantages to be made in JS (and a bit of HTML) is that it can be run on most computers/devices. I think that even the iPhone can run games like that. And Palm's WebOS use <CANVAS> as the default method for making 2D games.

And BTW, <CANVAS> even supports 3D as you can see here

See ya. (:

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    Yeah, it'd be a good idea. But why can't we make an "universal" game? I mean, so everybody can play it even if they have Linux, Mac, Windows, not-very-known OSes, etc.

It's 100% possible, but it must be made in the Web. If you want to see an example, here you can see an engine I made (RPG4JS). It uses the <CANVAS> tag plus hundreds of JS (it can be simplified into a very simple language).

(You can see it uses a full image as a map, in newer versions it has support for tiled maps (which works slower)).

Yeah, I know. It doesn't work very well yet, it's outdated, and it uses the HTML tag <CANVAS>, which is not supported by IE (it's supported by Firefox's Gecko engine, and Apple's WebKit engine (Chrome and Safari uses this). It's also supported by Opera).

The advantages to be made in JS (and a bit of HTML) is that it can be run on most computers/devices. I think that even the iPhone can run games like that. And Palm's WebOS use <CANVAS> as the default method for making 2D games.

And BTW, <CANVAS> even supports 3D as you can see here

See ya. (:
    Eh no. Trust me on this C++ + SDL + OpenGL + WxWidgets is the way to go... JS is not even a full on language, hell I will take flash over JS anyday...

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • SDL supports Linux, Windows, Windows CE, BeOS, MacOS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX..
    Beyond that "not-very-known-OS" aren't like to have browsers that would support this, or even if they do, hardly any Pokemon fans.

The same program can be compiled with none / minor changes to work on the machines.
    Your engine however seems interesting.

That way I could suggest, use flash with a combo of PHP (or similar) It works on all major OSes, is an MMORPG, and is quite easy to implement since flash is easier to work with than any other alternative mentioned here.
    Besides flash is browser based, is supported on most browsers, and it gets rid of the bugs in your engine.

However, C++ means... Freedom, Power, Beauty, Elegance and a few tonnes of Coffee :)

EDIT: david beat me to it... :(

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    SDL supports Linux, Windows, Windows CE, BeOS, MacOS, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, BSD/OS, Solaris, IRIX, and QNX..
    Beyond that "not-very-known-OS" aren't like to have browsers that would support this, or even if they do, hardly any Pokemon fans.

The same program can be compiled with none / minor changes to work on the machines.
    Your engine however seems interesting.

That way I could suggest, use flash with a combo of PHP (or similar) It works on all major OSes, is an MMORPG, and is quite easy to implement since flash is easier to work with than any other alternative mentioned here.
    Besides flash is browser based, is supported on most browsers, and it gets rid of the bugs in your engine.

However, C++ means... Freedom, Power, Beauty, Elegance and a few tonnes of Coffee :)

EDIT: david beat me to it... :(
    :)You did a way better job of explaining, I don't have a coffee maker so I stick with green tea, plus its healthier:classic:

KingCharizard

Years
  • A project of this sort, coded from the ground up in C++ will not only take months or maybe years, but you'll have to write hundreds of thousands lines of code to make it a drag and drop user friendly, just seems to be to ambitious for a free engine even if you made it for other games(Genres) and made it an open source engine I still really think this idea is way too much for less than 4 programmers..

@Wichu yea C++ can be used to write computer programs, and it is used to make many, Still it can be used for almost anything while java and php cant. Yeah java can be used for alot but like u said its speed alone is its set back... Perhaps u wont get it or this helps u understand my dislike towards the language either way its a moot point... I dunno I figured that flameguru was onto something with his java engine... Thought it'd be a good idea for everyone to work together...

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    A project of this sort, coded from the ground up in C++ will not only take months or maybe years, but you'll have to write hundreds of thousands lines of code to make it a drag and drop user friendly, just seems to be to ambitious for a free engine even if you made it for other games(Genres) and made it an open source engine I still really think this idea is way too much for less than 4 programmers..

@Wichu yea C++ can be used to write computer programs, and it is used to make many, Still it can be used for almost anything while java and php cant. Yeah java can be used for alot but like u said its speed alone is its set back... Perhaps u wont get it or this helps u understand my dislike towards the language either way its a moot point... I dunno I figured that flameguru was onto something with his java engine... Thought it'd be a good idea for everyone to work together...
    I was never intending it to be super noob friendly, the only thing that drag and drop was going to be map editor plus I probably will not work on it after this summer, I just have too much things on my hand. Hell maybe I will just make it a game and just release the source after Im done, and maybe someone can pick it up after that.

edit: Im gonna say **** storyline, so the main priority is the coding and ass kicking in the game

Last edited:
    Years
  • It doesn't have to be super-Noob friendly, of course, but it still needs to be developer friendly and well documented. No one would use it if it weren't either of those two things, and you would probably waste countless hours developing something that no one would use.

But speaking of scripting, how would you make the engine handle that? Would you be creating a custom scripting system to streamline development with APIs already in place?

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    It doesn't have to be super-Noob friendly, of course, but it still needs to be developer friendly and well documented. No one would use it if it weren't either of those two things, and you would probably waste countless hours developing something that no one would use.

But speaking of scripting, how would you make the engine handle that? Would you be creating a custom scripting system to streamline development with APIs already in place?
    Im not too sure about scripting, I was thinking of LUA but IDK if I really need scripting. I was thinking of more like those games you are stuck in one room and waves of monsters come at ya. Or should it be more like an adventure game? IDK

Back