• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Are Your Thoughts On Name Stealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Why the talk about copyright and litigation? This is a fandom community, making tribute games for pleasure alone. Leave the legal world out of it.

Name stealing is frowned upon in any community, of course, but to steal something you must know that the thing you are stealing from exists in the first place. Happening to give your game the same name as someone else's unwittingly is not a crime in any sense of the word; it is a coincidence.

I don't know much about the two games whose shared name sparked this (ridiculous) argument, but I can safely assume the two games are quite different to each other in many respects. In this case, there would be no confusion as to which game one is referring to, as the communities, time frames, plots, game engines, etc. all differ so radically. In this case, the two games having the same name is not a problem at all, in my view.

Note that "community" has a lot to do with it. How many people here are also part of the ROM hacking section on this very forum? How many games in here share their name with a hack, and vice versa? I haven't heard any complaints so far about it. It's because the communities are (mostly) separate from each other, and the game engine is so different. People will have no trouble differentiating between the two, so them having the same name is of little consequence.

I didn't want to participate in this thread, because it was created as a stupid overreaction to a perceived problem by the resident "know-it-all". But there you are...

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
    Years
  • @Davidthefat. You are rather pathetic to be honest having a rant over pretty much nothing.
    It's not exactly Crazyninjaguy's fualt that he happened to have a name exactly the same as his, if he didn't see the game he didn't see the game. It's not exactly name theft on a plus note 'Twilight' is used quite alot in game names mostly from where people have either got the idea from reading one of the twilight saga books'. So just get over it already, not really mature going this far for a game name when neither games are going to be the same , plus the fact that both games are on completly different forums so the popularity is obviously going to be different.

Years
  • If Game Fortress has an issue with it, then let him go ahead and contact CNG. Otherwise, this discussion is ridiculous and pointless. There's no generalised point you're trying to make, and it strikes me as petty, frankly. Personally, I'd never heard of Twilight either, so clearly it's a non-issue in this community. There's nothing more to add to what everyone else has already said. Just live and let live. Seriously.

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
  • I think I can speak for everyone here.
    No one cares.
    It's A FREAKING NAME ;~;
    What about the movie twilight?
    You're just making something out of nothing.
    So, leave it at that.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Not to back seat mod everyone, but I think we should just let this post fall down, no point it posting here anymore, it isn't a discussion it is a trolling post.

Lets just let it fade away heh?

nimmy23

Hi im nimmy23... Hi im nimmy23
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2012
    Look Davidthefat my name could be James and thousands of people have that name. Millions have David. Its just a freaking NAME!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back