• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What area do you hate the most?

Lenin_

"The circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant. I
Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2016
    We all have that one area in a Pokemon game we hate the most, I'd like to know which one you like!

The area I hate the most would be.. Every water erea ever.
    Why? Because of the encouters with both players and pokemon, the movement on the water is quite slow and the animation is quite boring :pink_blush:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Actually I like caves less. Water is annoying yeah, but they are great places to train some pokémon that can knock out a Tentacool or Wingull easily :3 taking Hoenn's and Kanto's fish as an example here, because that's where the water bothered me most haha.

But caves... Many differing pokémon and often very confined spaces so you can't fly out whenever you feel like you need a Pokémon Center badly. Sure, there's Escape Ropes, but I still like caves less. Especially if you need a HM to get through it properly. Even though I learned to navigate the Dewford cave without Flash pretty quickly...

Okay no. Actually it's deserts. I really hated the desert routes of Hoenn and Unova :( Because of Sandstorm and the high encounter rate.

Also I'll just move this over to PGC since it seems to be about the games.

-moved

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I suppose I dislike caves. What annoys me most about them is their tiles; each and every one of them has some chance of having you encounter Pokémon. In routes and towns, though, not all are like that; it applies to those that are filled with grass only. Caves and tunnels--they're mostly filled with Zubat and Golbat. To me, these two are quite annoying to deal with; if you have lower-leveled Pokémon and cannot escape, they will always find a way to use Supersonic on you. Once they do, you're confused, and will be having a hard time trying to land hits.

Alongside, I suppose I also dislike seas. They're actually similar to tunnels; only difference is that instead of Zubat, you've got Tentacool. They could be sort of bothersome, too; they could learn Poison Sting, I believe, and with this move, they'll poison you instantly; if you don't have much Pokémon with you, this would force you to run into some Pokémon Center so that you could rescue yourself.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I'm not a big fan of water areas either, mainly because its always tentacool, tentacool, tentacool. I feel like theirs not enough variety of water pokemon you can get through surfing alone.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I hate anything to do with sliding ice puzzles, especially Johto's Ice Cave. I had to look up a YouTube video to navigate the ice puzzles there. Sootopolis Gym comes in close; I had to have a friend do the puzzle for me in my first Sapphire playthrough.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I dislike open water. Like, say going to Cianwood City in G/S/C. It made a good grinding spot due to the less than frequent Tentacruel popping up, but as a place I have to go through to complete the main story? I hated it. Caves are absolutely awful, too, especially early in game when you can't really defend yourself. Zubats are irritating things, I tell you.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    First place that comes to mind is the Sky Pillar in R/S/E. Hate that stupid Mach Bike puzzle thing.

Years
  • Twist. Freakin'. Mountain. Part of the reason I didn't really want to do much post-game exploring in BW2 (other than the first time I beat it) was because it meant having to go through there due to all its twists and turns. Add in Clay Tunnel (which is also annoying to get through) and it becomes even more of a nuisance. I'm also a slight bit of a perfectionist when it comes to getting all the items in an area, but that's impossible to do in Twist Mountain because you can only access certain areas in Winter and Spring/Summer/Fall. Not really a big fan of caves in general, either, though most are more tolerable (save for maybe the gen. I/II ones that require Flash) compared to Twist Mountain and Clay Tunnel.

I'm also not a huge fan of large water areas, particularly the giant area on the east side of the Hoenn. It's really annoying to navigate through, even with the use of Repels. Thankfully, the new Repel mechanics make it less painful using Repels since I no longer have to keep going to my bag to use them.

Years
  • I love water!
    I like caves!
    but...cycling road. Cycling road is awesome...every time except for the first time. It'd be great to cycle through it fast as it should be done if there wasn't for dozens(!!!) of bikers with identical pokemon. hue

But other then that there arent much paces I dont like. I like'em all! :D

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Ice Gyms (and that god-awful Water gym from R/S/E, not looking forward to going back there again) are forces of suck. Sure there's a theme going on and that's okay, but stop wasting my time with gimmicky movement puzzles please? Ima steamroll this Gym anyway, stop delaying the inevitable!

Lenin_

"The circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant. I
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2016
    What area do you hate the most?

Do you remember this area? It was a pain in the ass to het through it to get to Sootopolis city!

Years
  • I don't really dislike any areas.
    Areas with lots of tall grass don't really bother me.
    Water routes, I don't mind. I don't seem to encounter pokemon very frequently on them, plus Tentacool's one of my favourite pokemon.
    Caves are OK, Zubat being my favourite pokemon, but I hate them if Graveler's on the encounter list.

There are only two areas that I think I've ever hated in general. Chargestone Cave and Twist Mountain. I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but when I go to Chargestone Cave I encounter a pokemon like every two steps. And Twist Mountain... is a maze. Nuff said.

bannerd

that one guy.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    Water and caves are both pretty bad without repels, but I think I hate the water a little bit more. At least in caves you get to do a little more exploring, but then you get open water places like Hoenn, where it seems to take forever to get to where you're going. Its even worse when you forget to bring repels, and it takes twice as long to get from point A to point B.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Almost every region has a place I don't like and never look forward to:
    • Kanto: Rock Mountain. I don't like it at all.
    • Johto: no location I dislike.
    • Hoenn: the very long routes between Mauville, Fortree and Lilycove. I don't find the water routes to be that offensive, but it's maybe because I'm used to buying tons of repels :) .
    • Sinnoh: the route with swamps and the Pokémon Mansion. Good thing it's completely optional.
    • Unova: Twist Mountain. Not only is it long, but it comes very quickly after another cave, and going through the two in succession is boring.
    • Kalos: unfortunately, almost all of it, starting from the point where you get the Coastal Pokédex.

Last edited:

aceattorneyweirdgirl

oh heck oh frig im girl now
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    Like SaniOKh, there are certain places from most regions I don't like particularly much. Usually caves.

Kanto: Mt. Moon. It stretches on for ages, has Paras, Rocket Grunts, Zubats, the works. The sole redeeming factor of this place is that you get a fossil at the end.

Johto: Mt. Mortar. I don't remember it particularly well, but I know I hated it every step of the way, generic cave encounters and all. And worst of all, after I fought my way through it, I found that I needed a blank party space to get that stupid Tyrogue from the Karate King, so I had leave, dump someone in the PC, and then COME BACK.

Hoenn: Granite Cave. The typical early-game cave, with the added caveat that you need Flash to navigate it. It's full of unusual and annoying Pokemon, like the ever-tanky Aron, the frighteningly powerful for that point in the game Makuhita and our (not) good old confusion-inducing friend, Zubat. The two version-exclusive resident's aren't too bad, though.
    Mind you, I actually like this place a lot better than the others on this list.

Sinnoh: I actually don't remember Sinnoh well enough to figure out what I disliked. Maybe Mt. Coronet...?

Unova: Without a doubt, Twist Mountain. It's long, gruelling and boring. Full of nasty-powerful fighting-type trainers, and a worker with a powerful Excadrill. It really doesn't help that this was where my long-term friend Clarence the Leavanny died in my Black Nuzlocke.

Kalos: Breaking the trend, in Kalos it was not a cavern I hated. It was those wretched riding segments where you go on top of a Mamoswine and a Rhyhorn. Sure, Skiddo and Gogoat were fun, but these other two were slow as molasses, and I hated them for it.

Years
  • The Ice Path in Pokémon Silver was synonymous with dread for me back in the day lol, I always handed my Game Boy to my brother at that point lol xD Nowadays it probably wouldn't be as difficult to figure out but for my young brain back then it was too frustrating lol :)

Years
  • One area that I really dislike is Route 20, or the Winding Woods, from XY. I hate that mess of a forest where you can wind up in a different direction from where you think you're going.

For that matter, Route 13, the sandstorm place near the Power Plant. I hate the sandstorm that hampers your running and can prevent you from grinding on rails, and the wild Pokémon that burrow underground and pop out, and the Dugtrio and Trapinch with Arena Trap are a pain too.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I dislike the Sinnoh region in general. *braces*

You didn't get fly til too late in the game, areas like Mt. Coronet were very tedious, and the pacing of the games there were vexatious to me. And do you know how few fire types there were in Sinnoh??? There was a fire type elite four member in Sinnoh, who only had TWO fire pokemon. AND ONE OF THEM WAS THE FIRE TYPE STARTER.

/endrant

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2014
    I dislike sinnoh as well, but really any cave where (insert name)bats annoy you. I should use more repels. That's less money for when i need full restores and revives for the elite 4 D:

Back