• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What! Charizard is Fire/Flying not Fire/Dragon?!

Arma

The Hyena
Years
  • I used to think that Spoink was an electric type, because it looks like a lightbulb.
    I was also pretty surprised to see that Lucario was part steel, I though it'd be part psychic.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
  • I always though Braviary should have been Fighting/Flying instead of Normal/Flying. Also Gyarados, Charizard and Serperior should've been part Dragon. Don't worry I know why they're not I just think they should have been. I also think Cofagrigus should have been Ghost/Rock or Steel judging on its appearance. I also think Cascoon should also be part Poison Type. I also think Ninetails should've been Fire/Ghost or Dark because of its curses.
    Wait, Cascoon wasn't a Poison type all along? I was under the impression it was... :embarrass
    Totally agree with Cofagrigus Ghost/Rock. But you forgot the most obvious one: Lucario as a Steel type. Makes more sense as a Psychic or Ghost type. (Anubis was the Egyptian god of the dead, after all.)
    Although I could picture Cubone as being a Ghost type even more....

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • I think Gyarados was originally intended to be a Water/Dragon type, but GF realised that it would mean that they have no weaknesses at all for Gen I, which I think would've been quite cool. They allowed Water/Dragon with Kingdra.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Gyarados- Water/Dragon
    Lugia - Water/Flying
    Noctowl - Psychic/Flying

And there's some more I can't remember :x

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Trapinch Evolution line is not part of bug. I'm kind go WTF?! over these facts. Trapinch should be Ground/Bug, Vibrava and Flygon Ground/Dragon or Bug/Dragon.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Luxray (Electric/Dark), Yanmega (Bug/Dragon), Cofagrigus (Ghost/Ground), Emboar (Fire/Dark), and Samurott (Water/Fighting) are the only pokemon that come to ind for me. XD

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Pikachu: Electric/Ground. Pure awesomeness. Or maybe Electric/Flying (LOL, totally serious here though...That tail could spin around for flight like Tails on Sonic ;P).

Haxorus: Dark/Dragon...or Fire/Dragon. He looks a bit menacing, I mean he just like towers over you..And those pincer things are HAWT..Err I mean scary.

All Dragon types should be Fire/Dragon, unless they have a specific second type..Because since ancient times dragons were always revered by their ability to breathe fire and burn whole villages down to the ground. But instead, you have a bunch of just plain Dragon types..

I also agree with the obvious ones, Gyarados being Water/Dragon just makes perfect sense.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • All Dragon types should be Fire/Dragon, unless they have a specific second type..Because since ancient times dragons were always revered by their ability to breathe fire and burn whole villages down to the ground. But instead, you have a bunch of just plain Dragon types..

Only in Western tradition. In Oriental tradition, there are dragons of every elemental affinity under the sun, with the most common being sky dragons and water dragons. Fire dragons are actually relatively rare in Oriental mythology. And wouldn't you know it, the Pokemon games are made in the orient rather than in the west. :o

obligatory TVTropes link

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Gothitelle (not its pre-evolved forms) should've been Psychic/Dark, IMO. It looks like a Dark Pokemon to me.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • Well, i think that the one that i love to change is Tyranytar, it should be Rock/Dragon for me.
    The second one should be Charizard being, as all of us think, Fire/dragon.
    And the last one is Gastly line, they should be pure Ghost type IMO.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years

• Only in Western tradition. In Oriental tradition, there are dragons of every elemental affinity under the sun, with the most common being sky dragons and water dragons. Fire dragons are actually relatively rare in Oriental mythology. And wouldn't you know it, the Pokemon games are made in the orient rather than in the west. :o

obligatory TVTropes link

Silly me *slaps forehead* I forgot about those. But still, when most people hear of a dragon, you get that image in your head of a dragon breathing fire and burning to a crisp every person in sight.. Oh well, seems like my idea has failed me :P. THanks for bursting my bubble *Non sarcastically* ;D.

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    The problem with Charizard being Fire/Dragon would be the lack of a Water weakness (though Ice would be super-effective on Fire/Dragon in Generation I.) Water/Dragon Gyarados would have NO weaknesses at all in Gen I. As for Grass/Dragon Serperior, it would double resist Water, Grass, and Electric but be double weak to Ice.

Actually, weaknesses aren't so much of an issue now - Empoleon is neutral to Grass, for one thing.

Charizard should have been changed to Fire/Dragon and Blastoise to Water/Steel to balance it out. Venusaur would be at a disadvantage in terms of typing, but it would have its stats and movepool to balance it out (it seems that it's the most competitively useful of the Kanto starters). It's a bit strange that dragons have been associated with fire since the beginning of time, but the first Dragon/Fire Pokemon we get is as unconventional a dragon as possible (Reshiram, but that doesn't change the fact that it's awesome).

Speaking of which, Reshiram and Zekrom should be Dragon/Fire/Psychic and Dragon/Electric/Dark respectively. It seems like GF missed out on the opportunity to use the classic "light vs. darkness" theme with the duo, plus I was looking forward to Zekrom being the first Dragon/Dark type (instead of some freaky deformed hydra) and a sort of Darth Vader figure.

Also, Emboar as Fire/Dark (he looks like Ganon!) and Samurott as Water/Fighting. If it were that way then Emboar would be a bit more popular for not having an overused starter evolution typing (to be fair, I think that its Fire/Fighting typing may have been an attempt to make it neutral to Stealth Rock).

Brolijah

Secretly (Not) Active
    Years
  • i believe darkrai should be a ghost/dark type. when i first saw the thing i thought, "ok, it's gotta be part ghost."

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • Clamperl's evos: Huntail should be Water/Dark and Gorebyss should be Water/Psychic to justify the types of moves they learn.
    Hoothoot keeps its current typing, but when it evolves into Noctowl, it becomes Flying/Psychic.
    Groudon should be Ground/Fire for obvious reasons.
    Tynamo/Eelektrik/Eelektross should be Electric/Water, since it clearly states in their Pokedex entries that they live primarily in water.
    Glameow/Purugly should be Dark-type, simply because they look like they would be with their dark blue coloring.
    Jirachi should be pure Psychic-type. I don't see anything about Jirachi that is steel. If someone could explain that to me, I'd appreciate it.
    Deoxys should be Psychic/Dark because it's always seemed to have a dark nature to me.
    Yamask and Cofagrigus should be Ghost/Rock, considering the mask with Yamask and the coffin with Cofagrigus. This would also make sense due to the fact that they are in the Mineral egg group.
    Gothita/Gotorita/Gothitelle should be Psychic/Dark due to the fact that they just look like Dark-types to me.
    That's all I can think of.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2011
    misdreavus line > ghost/psychic
    scolipede > bug/dragon
    crygonal > ice/psychic
    bonsly line > grass/rock
    psyduck line > water/psychic
    milotic > water/dragon
    azurill > water instead of normal
    persian > normal/dark (since it is only seen with team rocket)

Back