• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What compells you to purchase both?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    For me, it's because I never actually finished the whole game on my Gold. I may have gotten to like... the sixth gym or something. -shrugs- So I want to get Heart Gold, and try to actually finish it.

However, I don't think I can live without getting the DS version of my favorite Pokemon game, Silver. As a result, I want to get both of them. Soul Silver to probably relive my Silver game on the DS, and Heart Gold so I can do what I never did on my Gold. :3

Though, I wouldn't be surprised if Soul Silver ended up as my 'Never restart EVER' game, and Heart Gold is the one that I restart multiple times... again.

Years
    Just out of curiosity -

For those of you who are going to be buying both HG and SS, why do you do it?

You can easily get the additional, game specific Pokémon from members on the Forum if that's what you wanted.

Since the beginning i've always purchased both games because then i can get both Version exclusive Legendarys. I'm one who would rather get what i need, when i need it with the Natures/Stats, etc myself. I enjoy trading, but for the Tedious task of completing my Pokedex, etc. I do that myself. I spent Months making a live Pokedex on my Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon Box. Isn't the phrase "Gotta Catch'em All"? Well that goes along with the games as well. Sure i have a completed Pokedex, but i enjoy playing the games. And would never miss a chance to get one, even if it is a remake.

lolwut

Too cute for you
    Years
    ill be doing it for the same reasons a lot of other people stated; they want one lockdown game and one game they can freely play over and over. Which im currently doing with my platinum and diamond, diamond is lockdown and platinum is the one i freely play over and over, but its surprising cause most people would think it would be the other way around, platinum=lockdown and diamond=over and over

PokeMaster13

Banned
    Years
    I'll mainly do that just for the fact of having them both, kind of like a collecting thing. And also so if I want to replay, I don't have to delete everything on one, so I'll have the other.

Years
    ill be doing it for the same reasons a lot of other people stated; they want one lockdown game and one game they can freely play over and over. Which im currently doing with my platinum and diamond, diamond is lockdown and platinum is the one i freely play over and over, but its surprising cause most people would think it would be the other way around, platinum=lockdown and diamond=over and over
    I'm actually sort of doing it the other way around. I ultimately decided Platinum would be my permanent game, and everything else will feed into my goal of completing the National dex. I already have it 60% or so complete on Diamond, and won't reset until I get some of the pokemon over to Platinum, or even keep Diamond for extra things (breeding, EV training, etc), while focusing on the National dex on Platinum and use it for Wifi battling when I'm ready.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I probably won't.

Typically, I never buy both games when another set releases. I know some people might consider that insane, but I'm the type who cares enough about completing the Pokedex. xD; So I figure I'll buy Silver, but that's it for me.. unless they remake Crystal, which I doubt will happen.

Years
    I'd get version-specific Pokemon (I don't have Wi-Fi). Plus, it's more fun to get both and play through them. =3 Even if one of them sometimes gets left behind by you (... Sorry, Pearl... ^^').

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I'm getting both versions for the same reason other people are: to have one as my "main" game which will never be restarted (SoulSilver) and to have another one to restart and "goof around" on (HeartGold).

Also, I've never played Gold, so it would be nice to actually have that experience.

It'll also be easier to trade Pokemon between both games, since I'll have both games right there, and won't have to worry about connecting with another person over WiFi.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I love both Ho-oh and Lugia.

Also, I had Gold, and never played Silver, so it would make sense to get the game I loved and had, and get the game I never had.

Imagine.

Escaping Beyond Hope
    Years
    • Age 27
    • GBR
    • Seen Oct 28, 2015
    Soul Silver because the name sounds completley EPIC! :p
    Might get Heart Gold but sounds kinda girlish :D

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    Though they are the same game, I'll purchase both versions because I enjoy playing through them. You could say I'd also buy them for the game-specific Pokemon, because I'm not really one to mess around trying to find people to trade with. In a way, you could say I just cut out the middle man by buying them both. XD;;

But indeed; I would have one for my main and another for restarts, when I felt like replaying this wonderful title. That is, if they do it well. If they cut stuff out, I might not bother with a second version. Though I doubt they'll start cutting things out of it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Every since the original Red and Blue was released, My first import was Yellow. I would import one from America and get the other when it was released here in the UK. I did so because by the time the game is released here I am usually ready to start a fresh and I don't want to lose the work I put into the first one I got. Also, it helps me to complete my Pokedex. Being a 27 year old, I don't have many friends that still play Pokemon. I love it.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Another reason I am getting both is so I could battle with my brother.

CollinP

My Avi Evolved
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2009
    well

if i did (cuz' by then I'll probably have enough money on my edge card) i would give one to my friend- but if he beats me to it, i'll probably use it to trade with myself and help my pokedex..... and i could battle with my sister

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    I'm going to get HeartGold and complete its pokédex, since I never got the chance to do it with my original Gold (everyone had move on to the GBA games at the time) and I'll get SoulSilver to keep re-playing.

Back