• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What did you dislike about this generation?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • What were some of the things you disliked about this generation of Pokemon games? Was the story too short, long? Were the characters boring? Or perhaps the range of Pokemon were not as great as you thought they'd be. Maybe the game was too easy?

Discuss!

ElCabron

Su Cabronito!
    Years
  • The game was rather easy for me, but that's mainly because the elite four was really trash. Aaron didn't even deserved its place, but what can be done.

I really loved the game though and I can't see much flaws in it. Except by Diamond/Pearl being truly slow. Like, man. I can't replay it. Not because of Platinum's existance, but because it's slow. Sluggish.
    But I can't see why some people dislike the fourth gen games, honestly. I'm eager to see all the posts here and see if I will finally get (and agree) on "why it's bad".

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    The plot was alright and even got better in Platinum, as well as HGSS. The overall frame rate for Generation IV is too damn slow, while DP is suffers diversity problem. Otherwise the Generation IV gets a pass grade. :)

Years
  • My main problem with Diamond and Pearl was how sluggish it was and the very limited Pokémon. I mean you literally only had a choice between Ponyta and Infernape for a fire-type, unless you traded anything over. Post-game wasn't too bad but it sort of became pointless once you'd done Stark Mountain.
    I love HeartGold and can't think of too many complaints, but I think I was disappointed with the Kanto Gym remix. I LOVED that music in the originals. Johto Gym + Elite Four theme though = can't complain. I also wish they didn't put bloody Hail in Mount Silver.

Years
  • My only real complaints were directed at Diamond & Pearl. There were only two Fire-types in the Pokedex (like what someone mentioned) and the speed was so intolerable.

As for HG/SS, the fact wild Pokemon are still too low-leveled that it's near-impossible to grind to a decent level without wasting your time.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • When I got Diamond on release, the route the game seemingly wanted me to take was confusing. I somehow kept getting lost and not knowing where I was even supposed to go next.
    But now playing Platnium just this fall, lightly following a guide made the game go by pretty quick. Still has some odd backtracking. Diamond was probably not a great first main-series game to get :P

Also as much as I wanted to, I never really was thrilled about 90% of Sinnoh's Pokemon or even all the added evolutions except a few, and the evo's had to grow on me for a loooong time before I even would bother with them.

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
    Years
  • Some of the gym leaders have cheap unbalanced Pokemon that faint your entire team. It's straight out annoying. But I am pretty sure the other Pokemon games have that annoyance as well.

Years
  • Some of the gym leaders have cheap unbalanced Pokemon that faint your entire team. It's straight out annoying. But I am pretty sure the other Pokemon games have that annoyance as well.

It's even more worse in Diamond & Pearl because not all the Gym Leaders had a team that consisted entirely of their chosen type, such as Candice with Medicham or Volkner with Octillery and Ambipom. At least Platinum fixed it, but yes I do agree some Gyms had overpowered Pokemon (looking at you, Gardenia's Roserade and Fantina's Mismagius).

Years
  • The sheer lack of fire-types in Diamond and Pearl. Seriously, why the heck did we only have two options?

I first thought this was due to Sinnoh having a cold climate, but being forced to use Ponyta if you don't pick Chimchar for your starter was what always led to me picking the fiery monkey in every single playthrough I did these days. At least Game Freak learned from this mistake and extended the Dex in Platinum.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • That Mismagius took me probably an hour of soft-resting to go through the entire battle with Fantina over and over again. Glad I was not the only one xD

Roserade was also pretty hard unless you had Chimchar :S

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    I feel it's more difficult for me to come back to the 4th gen games because of the slower frame rate. I can't even play Diamond and Pearl anymore because of the awkward Pokédex which practically forces you to pick Chimchar. It's also much less straightforward with team building in-game because of the lack of variety in the dex. The slow surfing speed hurts it even more IMO.

Platinum rectified most of the issues, especially with dex variety. HGSS could definitely have bulked up the levels of wild Pokémon in Kanto. It is slow, though but not like Diamond and Pearl was.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    The games took longer than I would have liked to save, which was annoying. (This is even harder to deal with now that gen 6 has such quick save times, but on the whole, it's a minor flaw.) The slow battle speed was also a little irritating. I agree about the lack of fire types being annoying, as someone who didn't choose Chimchar, but fortunately, the GTS allowed me to pick up a Chimchar of my own pretty early on, so it didn't bother me too much.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I'm going to agree with the slowness of D/P, and the lack of variety in Pokemon as well. Most of the monotype users in the game, such as the gym leaders and Elite Four members, had sucky teams as a result... iirc Flint, a Fire user from the Elite Four only had two fire types. I haven't really played Platinum but it seemed to have fixed most problems D/P had.. so yeah. :)

HG/SS got pretty easy when Kanto came... but it didn't really bother me much because the only thing in my mind at that point was exploring the locations, lmao.

véronique

Shiroshipping, FTW!
    Years
  • Honestly, I thought Sinnoh was too bland. I mean, the 3rd and 4th generations really made some big improvements in the Pokémon games, no question, but the only good thing about the 4th generation was the Johto game remakes. I didn't like D/P/Pt.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Honestly, I thought Sinnoh was too bland. I mean, the 3rd and 4th generations really made some big improvements in the Pokémon games, no question, but the only good thing about the 4th generation was the Johto game remakes. I didn't like D/P/Pt.

I feel the same way :3

It's not that I didn't like the game, but I think it is the one I like less. I don't really want to play again.. I tried and I couldn't... I only beat the game one time, that's it.

I really like the Pokemon in this generation, but not the game.

véronique

Shiroshipping, FTW!
    Years
  • I feel the same way :3

It's not that I didn't like the game, but I think it is the one I like less. I don't really want to play again.. I tried and I couldn't... I only beat the game one time, that's it.

I really like the Pokemon in this generation, but not the game.

Honestly, given the fact that you can catch any of the Pokémon from Gen IV in Gen VI, I don't think there is any reason to have Pokémon D/P/Pt. But what I would like to see is some of the features in Pokémon HG/SS replicated in maybe a Gen VI or VII game?

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    My only gripes for this generation is D/P, and I didn't play Platinum and my problems with this D/P are, but not limited to:

• Lack of variety such as only two Fire-type Pokemon, which is why I had Rapidash in my final team. Considering Magmortar is introduced as a new Pokemon I don't get why Magby/Magmar isn't available. Not to mention some of the new non-legendary Sinnoh Pokemon are not available in-game and only available post-game.
    • The slow pacing especially the battle system where there's like a delay between you choosing the move and the battle sequence. This is the one I had the most problems with since Gen 4 is really challenging (and that's where I give credit to, and honestly I have no problems with the wild cards for the gym leaders since there's a good variety) to the point you need to grind, but the problem is grinding takes even more time and that forces me to just go ahead underlevelled and hope for the best.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • - Surf's walking speed in D/P. Glad they fixed it in Platinum and HG/SS.

- The long save times after using the pc.

- Lack of fire types in the Sinnoh dex in D/P.

- The fact that not every new Pokemon were in the Sinnoh dex in D/P. I was disappointed when I couldn't have Gallade or Glaceon in my Pearl team during the main story.

- Not many places to level grind. I'm always underleveled when I get to Red.

Back