• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What did you like best about ORAS?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    So this is the final 7 days of ORAS being the newest Pokemon game (officially!)

I'm going to be making one thread every day to celebrate and sort of "pass the title" on to Sun & Moon. Hopefully if you post in all the threads to share your memory I can possibly share a shiny Pokemon and/or an emblem with those that participate. Let's start with the first day then, shall we?

What did you like best about ORAS? This can be in general or just referring to the first playthrough you had.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Honestly probably the way Secret Bases were updated! They were useful and fun~ Delta Episode was pretty damn good too. :>

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    The way it made me actually enjoy Gen III. I disliked the third generation titles immensely when I first played them, and I almost passed these games up. But updating the region the way they did made it an immensely enjoyable experience; everything felt fresh and exciting. Best of all, no horrible trumpet soundfile music. The en masse Legendary postgame capture-a-thon was fun, too.

I liked the Delta Episode in particular. For the first time literally ever, it felt like they were making some sort of effort to give Pokemon a tangible story, at least to me.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Its music. I love how RSE's music took a mostly orchestral and "rocky" turn.

Also the Delta Episode. Can't forget about that.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Aside from Secret Bases and the Delta Episode, I've also had a lot of fun with my team consisting of Blaziken, Salamence, Metagross, Sableye, Cradily, and Lanturn. Blaziken is, in my opinion, the best Fire type in Hoenn, so I just had to choose it as my starter. I got Metagross from the shiny Beldum event that I just couldn't pass up, and it was an absolute beast. Salamence is a Pokemon that, despite loving it, I rarely use it, and I grabbed my chance here even though I could've used something like Swellow or Flygon instead. The last three were Pokemon that I've never used before, and I saw this as an opportunity to use them for the first time. And they were awesome.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The best parts were the updates/changes/additions to the story and lore imo. Having an entire post-game story episode (that expands on the Weather Trio lore) was great. They made the Team Aqua and Magma admins much more fleshed out when before they were basically just slightly tougher grunts with names. Changing the Abandoned Ship into Sea Mauville, with the highly interesting lore, was a great move on their part.

Years
    I was mainly into all the nostalgia this game brought me, considering Hoenn was where I started in my time playing Pokemon games because it was the generation where I got to own my own Pokemon game for the first time and seeing these memories come back and improved upon is part of why OR/AS will be memorable to me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    1. Team Magma and Team Aqua having more personalities to them.
    Magma being scientists and Aqua being pirates certainly helped make them more distinguishable villain teams.

2. Character development on both the rival and the villains.
    Delta Episode really made a massive difference here, and that's actually a good thing, since we get to see the aftermath of Team Magma and/or Team Aqua's actions, and how the villains are coping with some of the consequences.

3. Mega Evolutions
    My favourites would be Sceptile, Rayquaza, Swampert, Beedrill, Diancie, Metagross, Salamence, Lopunny, and Altaria.

4. Move Tutors
    Obligatory, yet profoundly useful for those who start afresh this generation without the need to use PokeBank for the moment, myself included.

5. Easier access to all the past Legendaries in order to complete the PokéDex when combined with X/Y for Kanto's Legendaries.

6. DexNav
    It all makes effective EV hunting and breeding a much easier chore for the competitive players.

7. New movesets.
    Examples like Delphox learning Dazzling Gleam certainly made a difference.

8. The Delta Episode
    Zinnia was awesome, and it was even cooler going to outer space and fighting Deoxys.

9. Secret Bases
    Definitely a step up from the original games.

Last edited:

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
    there are too many good things it being a remake of my fave region and all I loved seeing everything uppdated in 3d and all the memories it brought back going back into hoenn again gen 3 was truly special, and that comes from me that started with gen 1 back in the day

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2018
    There are so many things to choose! I think I'll boil it down to my top five:

5. Legends Galore

Having not played many of the previous Pokemon games (I joined in around Gen V), this was a great feature that allowed newcomers to catch many new Pokemon from games they may have not played beforehand. This was mainly accompanied by...

4. The Soaring Feature

What a great way to show off what the 3DS is really capable of. The Soaring mechanic, once unlocked, was a brilliant way to take your HM Slave for Fly off of your team. It was also accompanied by some GREAT music, but more on that in a bit.

3. The Elite Four Rematches

When I took on the League in X and Y once again, I was disappointed to find that they had made no changes to their teams whatsoever, and that their levels were exactly the same as they were before. Hell, they didn't even have any Mega Evolutions! Aside from Madam Champion, of course.

So, once I saw that the rematch of the League was available, I was hoping that, at the very least, they would have their teams adjusted and leveled up. And I was not disappointed in the slightest. Their teams are, as I expected, in the 70s region AND they have Mega Evolution's!

I mean, I got utterly curve-stomped my first time through due to how SEVERELY underleveled I was, but that just goes to show you how great they were.

2. The Music

And the trumpets they blow...

The music from the original Ruby and Sapphire, as well as Emerald, is some of the greatest in Pokemon history (next to the songs from Gen II and V, of course), with tracks like the Elite Four theme and Slateport City standing out. So, once the new games came out, the music was GLORIOUSLY remixed with a full orchestra of music, with tracks like the aforementioned given a new life. New tracks are also brought in for a breath of fresh air, and they do not disappoint (Wally's and Zinnia's Theme's especially).

And the Number One thing in ORAS is...

1. The Delta Episode

This. ****ing. Addition.

This addition is probably one of the best things in Pokemon Remake history. Granted, that's not saying much, but it's still great none the less.

The new lore, the new music, the addition of Mega Rayquaza, Zinnia...Just everything about it is so great.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    The secret base upgrade was nice, but they just did everything right with these remakes. I enjoyed every moment of both, though I am bias as Hoenn and it's native Pokemon are my favorite of any generation. They did take longer to beat then XY, I was glad of that as well. I still get a lot of use out of them, any excuse to hang around Hoenn is enough for me :P

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    All of these really are what I was thinking as well!
    I was mainly into all the nostalgia this game brought me, considering Hoenn was where I started in my time playing Pokemon games because it was the generation where I got to own my own Pokemon game for the first time and seeing these memories come back and improved upon is part of why OR/AS will be memorable to me.
    Hoenn was my first region to explore; Sapphire was my first game. This was honestly one of my favorite parts of the game for me. Being able to see my favorite and childhood region in 3D was mindblowing. I wonder what 10-year-old me would have thought of it!

The Delta Episode is a bit mixed for me. While I loved it while I was playing it, I did miss the Groudon vs Kyogre scene that was present in Emerald. But oh man. Going to space while riding on a Rayquaza? Then catching Deoxys... IN SPACE? Not sure if that can really compare, honestly.

Even if Secret Bases hadn't received a massive update like they did in ORAS, I'm sure I still would have loved them due to the wireless capabilities they now had. That was awesome.

OH HELL YEAH HOW DID I FORGET SEA MAUVILLE?? that was literally actually my fav part omg
    I hadn't really thought about this but I loove it when they place mysterious places like this in games and don't explain them, but they seem to have a story of their own. Really makes the region feel like its own world instead of a place created for just the protagonist, and only including important story parts.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    When I first started on Ruby and Sapphire, my top favourite Pokemon would have to be Latias, and actually I've loved her since she appeared on Japanese magazine when we were still playing Gold and looking at reveals!

It was cool that we got to rode on the Lati@s in Soaring in the Sky with the Eon Flute, that was really a cool interaction!

And like the others have mentioned above, Delta Episode! It was really a good post-story and how we could ride on Mega Rayquaza, shooting into the sky on it and breaking up the threatening meteor. Deoxys was a bonus too!

The reveal of Mega Altaria got me a lot, too. My Altaria remained as my main Mega-evolving Pokemon (Next to Gardevoir and Swampert) in my Alpha Sapphire.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    For me, it's a toss up between the graphics and the soundtrack. As a whole, the game made me begin appreciating Hoenn, especially since it was arguably my least favourite region in the entire Pokemon franchise. The graphics make Hoenn look really damn attractive to me, while the music...well, the music makes me wanna dance sometimes, which isn't something I like doing. Means it's doing something right. I can't pick ONE thing, so I'm gonna pick two. Cheating!

AleXShi1

Keep it real
    Years
    Loved playing on a region i played so much as a young kid, the nostalgia was huge!
    Probably my favorite aspect was the awesome megas to some of my favorites pokemon like Rayquaza and Sceptile

Back