• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you all think about this?

4th Gen Matt

Pokemon Onyx Creator
Years
  • For my new and upcoming fan game Pokemon: Onyx Version, I plan on making it possible to catch every legendary. But it is not just going to be going through a cave and catching the legendary Pokemon at the end. What I plan on doing is having about a 30 minute event for every legendary. Your actually going to have to work your butt off just to get to the legendary. Some of the legendaries are going to be able to caught in the main storyline, but for this game, I really wanted to focus on features you can do after you have already beaten the game. With this legendary feature alone, we are looking at over 20 extra hours of gameplay after the initial storyline. So what does everybody think of this idea? Btw, I sent the Pokemon: Onyx version thread to get approved for the showcase. So keep your eye out for it.

Also, if anybody wants to help me think of ideas for the legendary events, just drop me a VM or PM and I'll get back to you.

MykehDoom

Team Magma's Entei
    Years
    • Age 35
    • GA
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    It seems pretty cool to me, but it seems like you ignored my PM I sent you last night. >_>

Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2011
    Well......what region is it in, or is it a new one, are you going t o combine them all or what?

CP3

2Pac is still alive!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    It's in a region called Fuji.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Having involved in-game ways to capture legendary pokémon certainly beats event pokémon.

One such idea I had was to have a really long and obscure path, with a Manaphy egg at the end on a beach. Most players would always carry a full party, so they'd be forced to go back and travel the route again (but now with a free space), thus nearly doubling the gameplay for that little section. However, some people may consider it an arse-move, since it pretty much is one of those "we'll make you go through the level twice" things that happens instead of actual creativity.

I do imagine there's a rather imminent limit on the number of different side-quests you can create, though. Travel down one long path and have the monster waiting at the end (it's what we've had so far); talking to lots of people in turn to gain bits of information; go Regi-style and hide them in little caves and unlock them via other hidden caves... Actually, that's about all I can think of. You will need to make sure you don't go stale and put the player off.

Having said that, though, it may be easier to think up different side-quests if you try to think up one for a specific pokémon (e.g. Lugia hides at the end of a long underwater/cave path, where you need to go underwater and out of water a number of times).

Semi-roaming pokémon may be another option. Have a few different set places the pokémon could appear, and have it switch between them either at random or depending on the time/day. If you go to one of those places at the wrong time, it's just empty.

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
    Years
  • Make it so when your catching mew you have to chase it like in emerald :)

Back