• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you call your character?

Years
  • Do you name him/her after your real name, or a nickname you have?

Do you sit back and think about what you would like to name your character (i.e. invent a name for them)?

Have your character nicknames ever changed?

Have you ever used the names that were suggested in the game?

----------

And my answers to my own questions :)

Do you name him/her after your real name, or a nickname you have?
    I have in the past. Never my actual name (might do that next time), but I have used nicknames that my friends/family have given me, namely 'Lucy' :pink_giggle:

Do you sit back and think about what you would like to name your character (i.e. invent a name for them)?
    This is what I usually do. For me, starting a game character is like making a new persona. Depending on what kind of a trainer I wanted the character to be, I would make up a name. For a while I was on a Japanese name kick, then I went through names I just like. Right now my character is called Monty. I named her this because I think it is a fun name and my current playthrough is just about having fun. :pink_tongue:

Yup, all the time. I don't think I've ever reused any.

Nope. I never liked the generic names they gave.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2012

Both. Usually its an altered version, because that's what people know me as.

Sometimes, but usually the name comes to me in a flash.

Yes.

No, I prefer to use my imagination.

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
    I usually name my male character after myself, although it'll vary occasionally. Sometimes I will name it my middle name, or my surname. Other times I will name my character my (former) nickname.

On my recent Soul Silver run, I did. I ended up being a girl and calling myself 'Boo'. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's origins go back to Monster's Inc.

All of the time. In fact, in my Platinum game, my name is Osama.

In R/B/Y I named myself Ash, I think. But other than that, I never do, no.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I think once.

Yes. I always think about it, because sometimes the name they call you gets annoying if I read it too often. And I usually make the name relevant to what I'm doing on the game, mainly in challenges. Like my current run on LeafGreen is a Weedle solo, so I named him "KING!!!" for kicks.

Of course. Using the same one would be boring.

Like once on FireRed or something. On RSE, I always named the characters "Brendan/May" just because I can't see them as anything else.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • Pretty much all the time I do my real name.
    I rarely invent a name though
    Yes I have used different one
    In Firered I used the name "Red" but that was a long time ago...

Years
    It's typically my real name, except for one time.

When I am using my own name, it requires no real effort to invent a name. The one time I didn't use my name, I named my character May on Sapphire (this wasn't that creative, either).

Aside from the one time, I've used the same name for all the games.

I honestly can't remember if Brendan/May were the default names for the characters in Sapphire. If they were, then I've used the default name twice, and if not, then I've never used them.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • When I first started playing Pokemon, I used to name my character "ASH" in the old games, because I saw the anime before playing the games. However, now I just name my character my real name, Josh.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Do you name him/her after your real name, or a nickname you have?: I use my real name for my player characters (Matthew).

Do you sit back and think about what you would like to name your character (i.e. invent a name for them)?: Nope.

Have your character nicknames ever changed?: Nope.

Have you ever used the names that were suggested in the game?: No. Never.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I use anything but my name. If I'm doing a challenge, I like to have a name relevant to the challenge, if it's got a certain theme to it. I hate the default names and never use them. I hardly ever use the same name in-game, however I'm very partial to using L'Via.

As a bonus, here are all my names in my Pokemon games (that I remember off the top of my head):
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Do you sit back and think about what you would like to name your character (i.e. invent a name for them)?
    On my recent Soul Silver run, I did. I ended up being a girl and calling myself 'Boo'. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's origins go back to Monster's Inc.

That is awesome, 'nuff said :pink_disbelief:

I'm enjoying reading all the replies, keep em coming :)

Last edited:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I always name my character after my real name.
    No.

Once, but that was only when I wanted to change the rivals typical name too.

No.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Most of the time my nickname (Lati) but those few times, my real name (Latifah)

Never.

Yeah, three times: once in Pokemon Emerald, Soul Silver and White all to Latifah rather than Lati

Never.

:t354:TG

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Nope, I don't like my name enough to use it as my character.

No, I have a short list of names that I recycle for my character names. All fairly common.

Not too much, usually I just rotate between "Ashley" and "Lisa" for my character names because I like those two names. "Lisa" is especially fitting when I play Leaf Green as Leaf <3

No, I like using the two names above more than any of the default names.

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
    -Nope. I just name them either of my invented trainer names, Tory or Adam. I never use my real name-

-Not really. Sometimes I need to decide whether to name them Tory or Adam, though-

-Yeah, since I was a kid-

-Once, in Crystal recently I used Gold from the suggestions. Unless you could rivals, I've done that plenty-

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I don't think I've ever name a character after myself. I never play the girl characters anyway, so I kind of can't.

Not really, I usually choose quite quickly. It's not that important to me.

Yes, in Blue it was Squitle (I misspelled Squirtle) and it was Satoshi in Yellow. I don't remember what it was in Gold, but it was neither of those things.

Nope.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Do you name him/her after your real name, or a nickname you have?: I try to come up with a new name for every game. So I was Rachel once.

Do you sit back and think about what you would like to name your character (i.e. invent a name for them)?: No. I usually have it in mind when I purchase the game.

Have your character nicknames ever changed?: Since its different for each game, yes.

Have you ever used the names that were suggested in the game?: No

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
    Years
    I always name it after my nickname (Jing)
    Noo.. I always go with that so it's like 2 seconds
    Only once in LeafGreen. I really loved the anime Shugo Chara! so I named it after Amu
    Nope. Maybe when I'm bored and restart it (Not deleting my data) and name it what their names were orginally were (Dawn, Lucas, Hilda, etc._)

Physco

2+2=5
    Years

Only once I have. But I quickly regreted it later into the game.
    I eventually changed my name even though almost all my Pokemon were level 100.

Actually, I already have.
    Marshal. Its my cousin's name and I love that name.

Now that I think about it I dont think I ever will.

No...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've never been able to use my real name up to Pokemon Black, as it was always one character too many. Normally I called myself Jon, or used one of the pre-programmed names. In Black version, however, I just didn't want to be all narcissistic, so called myself Mike. I don't really care for the name, but it wasn't Jon or Silver or Black or anything, so I consider it a step in the right direction.

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    Mine since Crystal has been KoolKat. It is, was, and will be my character, just in different regions!

Back