• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you dislike about your gender/sex?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Read this: Okay so society projects a lot of expectations and "rules" for genders that you're generally expected to follow in society by both others of your sex, and those of the opposite sex. They're not exactly gender roles I'm talking about, but a great example that I can think of is like guys are generally expected to do the wooing in relationships and be the one who charms the girl. Another example is that guys are expected to just deal with their emotions, and often have trouble or feel like they can't express them to others. You know, things like that.

So, with that in mind, what are some things you dislike about your gender/sex? Can be like any examples of the above, or anything else you can think of that don't relate to the expectations society projects on you.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    One thing I don't like about males is that we're supposed to be an emotional fortress, like you mentioned. It can be really taxing at times, and it can lead to some pretty emotional outbursts. If I didn't find someone to vent to, I think I would still be stuck in my world of depression.

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I dislike how males are expected to be selfless and provide for females who simultaneously claim to be independent. Extremist feminists want to selectively eliminate negative gender biases while leaving the beneficial ones.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Guys are to be self-sufficient, fans of every sport across the board, especially football and bonus points if your interest extends to things like golf and soccer, dunces when it comes to fashion, and since I walked away from this and came back I have no other examples, hah. But yeah, the typical annoying stereotypes.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    I hate how I have to bleed out of my you-know-what every ♥♥♥♥ing month.

Add:
    I don't like the "real women have curves" BS.
    I don't like how we are portrayed as complicated creatures. Like, not every female sends mixed signals about everything, y'know?

However, sexist jokes are hilarious. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I hate how I have to bleed out of my you-know-what every ♥♥♥♥ing month.

That's understandable, but it isn't really a societal pressure. Honestly, I'd prefer that my girlfriend didn't bleed out of her you-know-what. Not as messy or painful for her, and I don't have to deal with the PMS.

Poki

Banned
    Years
    That's understandable, but it isn't really a societal pressure. Honestly, I'd prefer that my girlfriend didn't bleed out of her you-know-what. Not as messy or painful for her, and I don't have to deal with the PMS.

Yeah, but still. I'm gonna add a thing or two to my post.

Sirfetch’d

Guys are to be self-sufficient, fans of every sport across the board, especially football and bonus points if your interest extends to things like golf and soccer, dunces when it comes to fashion, and since I walked away from this and came back I have no other examples, hah. But yeah, the typical annoying stereotypes.

100% agree wit this. I absolutely hate it when I'm having a conversation with someone and they are immediately surprised that I have no knowledge of the sports topic at hand. I don't get why people automatically think that just because I'm a guy that I know who won "the game" last night.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I dislike how males are expected to be selfless and provide for females who simultaneously claim to be independent. Extremist feminists want to selectively eliminate negative gender biases while leaving the beneficial ones.

Just wanted to point out that as a mainstream feminist I've read radical feminists and they're not at all what you're describing. They're much more "get men out of my life entirely" than "men you need to take care of me." And mainstream feminists are the ones talking about issues of masculinity and femininity, as they're intricately related, and lamenting that when they approach men or pay for a check people think they're strange and sending weird messages. The mythical "I want to be treated the same until the check comes" feminist is usually women that don't identify as feminist at all, or identify with some warped version of feminism.

Not saying there aren't any feminists that want to be provided for; even women that work hard to remove socialized norms from their lives can be influenced by them. But it's certainly not the majority of feminism, and it's definitely not extremist feminism.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    As previously mentioned, I don't like it when males suppress their own emotions and tell other men to "man up" when they see them crying over a reasonable thing. I'm a very emotional person. I cry when I cry and I laugh when I laugh.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Men have to carry things. I get that there is a legitimate biological reason for this, but it makes you feel like a real ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ if you let a woman carry anything. Generally when I go to the store with my friend Brooke I'm the one that buys us things because she doesn't have any money, so she insists on carrying them so that she can at least feel she's contributed something, which is fair enough, but then I get looks all the way to the car because she's carrying the bags and I'm just carrying my car keys.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I don't like how males are meant to be all brawny and strong. I'm weak and frail, and really emotional. Total opposite, pretty much. I can hold my own, but I can't fight back at all. It's sort of why I call myself female on the internet - I don't see any male properties about me on the interwebs. I'm not really a guy, in gender norm standards.

Years
    "Thou shalt not hit a women" - I don't see why it is worse if I punch someone with different genitals. Really, you shouldn't hit anyone but if a lady comes at me with a knife I'm not going to let her slide it between my ribs because I'll get called a "girl-beater" or whatever.

I dislike how I'm expected to know about sports. I have a sport that I love, it's just that I might get some funny looks for calling it a sport despite me having to do like twice as much athletic training than any footballer. Which brings me to m next point;

I hate being looked at weird when I tell people I'm a dancer. If it was hip-hop that would be fine because apparently that's manly but apparently because I do ballroom that automatically makes me a sissy or gay (not that there's anything wrong with being gay, I just hate stereotypes and that one makes the least sense of anything since it is a sport that requires me to be around women).

I don't like the way I'm expected to be some sort of emotionally resilient wall. Things hurt sometimes. I'm poker-faced not invulnerable.

I hate how society has decided that because I'm straight and male I'm attracted to ♥♥♥♥ty girls with gigantic breasts. People think I'm insane when I tell them I'm usually attracted to quite opposite (although personality is always first, something else I'm expected not to think) and even girls who I have dated who don't fit that description have been self-conscious and paranoid because I'm male and therefor have those preferences - despite me constantly saying otherwise.

Last but not least, I hate how society seems to forget there are negative stereotypes placed on men and that men have problems too. Something made worse by these so called "feminists" who say they want to remove gender issues for all yet don't seem to care much about the issues we face.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I like this topic and I like that everyone is expressing exactly how I feel about how men are treated. +1 for everyone.

I definitely hate the whole "men have to be in shape/athletic/have muscles" thing. Me, I'm not fat, but I don't work out or exercise (as much as I should >.>), and I shouldn't have to do that just because society thinks that's attractive. If we have to accept women as what they look like, then we should be doing the same for guys.

I also hate that whole "men can't show emotions" thing as well. I get stressed out so much that I stress-cry constantly. That doesn't make me weak; it makes me human. I'm not supposed to be able to handle everything.

There's also that thing about "a man has to charm a women" that someone mentioned above. I hate that so much. I'm okay with telling someone I'm interested in them, but I will rarely make the first move. If they don't wish to act upon it, I'm okay with that. I don't see why that system can't work either.

Years
    Hopefully this doesn't offend anybody, but my sister, and I have the same mentality when it comes to befriend females. We're basically borderline, "We hate being females." When it comes to having girl friends, of which I don't have many (only have 3 whom I talk, not even on a daily basis), I would rather not talk about topics like guys, gossip, how skinny other girls look, etc. Those are not the type of things I want to talk about. Basically, I find girls to be high maintenance so I actually do avoid making close female friends, and find that I have a better connection with the opposite gender.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    most guys I know like to roughhouse and shove people around and ♥♥♥♥, but that doesn't work for me because I'm frail and will fall down if you do that to me which is embarrassing for everyone (but mostly me).

also, I don't really show my emotions but I'm a pretty 'romantic' guy, not in the courting girls all day every day way but in the like "look at the stars man...... look at them..... you feel me???" kind of way. uhh, I know what I'm trying to get across but it's probably horribly unclear and just makes me look like a douchebag, but I hope that you get what I'm saying.

Yukari

Mostly just stereotypes about You-Know-What every hour of every day.

Don't get me wrong; I do have some interest in the topic, but it isn't as if I spend much time thinking about it. At most 3 times a day.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
    I don't really care about what I'm supposed to/not supposed to do, I just do what I feel is right. 8D I hold doors for women, I hold doors for men. I'd offer help carrying things for women, but I'd do the same for men too. I don't believe that helping people/polite mannerisms are something that men must do for women. I think they're something everyone should do for everyone. "Manners make a man" was a saying my grandmother used to say, but why is that necessarily a saying? Why can't manners make a decent human being?

As for other typical male stereotypes, I rarely think or care about sex, I'm not athletic, nor am I THAT feeble, I'm pretty thick skinned but when I do get fired up, there's no holding back, as others unfortunately know. Why care about what we're supposed to do/be like? 8D

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't really deviate from expectations, but I also only talk with decent people that don't have the social views of a neanderthal.

I guess that's what I dislike about my gender. Too many male neanderthals still around in the 21st century, and they've learnt to talk and their mouths are big as ♥♥♥♥.

Back