• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What do you do..??

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    Before i ask let me make you clear this question is only for advance generation games...k..??

so let's start my question shall i..?? 3>

Ok most of us are veteran player's when it comes to the game's but i wanted to ask how do you do it... i mean how do you play the game..?? just for the sake of it.. or plan it..??

for more clearance.. like do plan while playing the game..?? do you think of setting movepools and movesets and all.. and decide a proper startegie to fight.. and have a good team.. have your own way to train ( which all of us do ).

but how many of you go the other way round..?? like just battle without any strategy.. capture any pokemon anyhow.. and don't care about the stats..and all.

So what do you do../??

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    What I do is ingame I completely let everything fly, no care in the world for anything, afterwards, it's business time, and take everything seriously and completely plan out everything...

So basically im half n' half, one of me, is just fun through the storyline, afterwards, it's strickly planned destruction...

Now aftr the story I basically have to care about everything, and I kinda over do it :P, but hey it's still fun... Racking my brain making teams though xD

Last edited:
    Years
    Me?
    I care for stats and moves ( Only started doing that in DP, now playing FR, still doing that)
    EVs and IVs.. I don't give a damn about them.
    Movepools, yes.
    Strategy, no. Well, in Venusaur maybe, (Toxic + Leech Seed + Razor Leaf)
    but not in others I guess..

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I raise the pokémon I think have matching types for a decent team, and who aren't totally hard to raise and nto too weak. I dislike using things like Masquerain, for instance. Or Nincada. Slakoth can be used, but it has to evolve...

EV's and IV's I dont' care one bit for. I'm no hardcore player, I just enjoy training a team I'm comfortable with. I do plan on what pokémon I will use in the future team, yes. But I don't do competitive battling, so it's not the end of the world if I've got a Swellow when I come to Elite4.

s l u g

arriving somewhere but not here,
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 2, 2023
    You know what..?? i had a mightyena a swellow .. and a linoone too :D while beating the E4 ;D

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

Yoshiko75

Shadow of the Night
    Years
    As I play through a game, I try to create a type-balanced team. Thay way, one of my Pokémon can cover for another one's weakness. It's also quite helpful for challenging the League.

Years
    I used to pay no attention whatsoever to natures, but I pay attention to them now. I don't spend hours trying to get the perfect nature, but I try to avoid natures that are of no benefit whatsoever to a Pokemon, or any that put it at a disadvantage somehow. I actually prefer getting one of the five "neutral" natures above all others.
    I also pay attention to abilities, somewhat (if a Pokemon can have one of two abilities, I try and get the one that I'd like more). Types are another thing I take into account, so that I don't end up with a bad type weakness I just can't get around. As for movesets, I usually just stick to generic level-up moves for the majority of the game - then, when I get closer to the end of the game and the Elite Four, I start looking through my TMs and planning out strategic movesets.

As for EVs and IVs, I couldn't care less about those things during the normal story gameplay. I fight whatever Pokemon I run into, gaining whatever EVs they decide to give me. During story gameplay, the experience points are what I'm after.

After normal story gameplay, I still couldn't care less about breeding for IVs. I've done a little EV training, though I don't make it a habit to keep track of the number of EVs gained or anything.

Last edited:
    Years
    I prefer to battle through the game asap, catching a few Pokés along the way, but battling with my starter only. Then after E4, i then go round completing extra areas, and catching/evolving the Pokés, and trading the ones i need. I dont care about the natures or EVs, but I do catch all my Pokémon male, unless they are always female/neutral gender, and at the lowest level possible. And then trade the rest with other versions.

Dave-o-rama

If you are a false don't entry
    Years
    i just made a balanced team with all attack moves and i just went after my opponents taking shot after shot. if i lost, i trained a little bit, then kept trying. i take a look at the natures, i dont necesarily care about them though. i just let my started get really strong and fight with that and maybe 1 or 2 slightly weaker pokemon. mine are always underleveled.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    Before I defeat the Elite Four, I dont care about anything, I just do whatever possible to win. But after I beat the elite four I get serious and care about having a strong team and completing the Pokedex.

Ampremas_tortoise

Because turtles are overrated.
    Years
    I always go through, catching only pokemon that will be totally BA when I level them up, work my way up to the Elite Four and once I've beaten them several times I go back, stock up on pokeballs and go fill up my dex and do the little extra things. Like fun stuff.

Work first, then play. *shrug* I'd just do whatever suits your personality. I do take a break from time to time to go play the slots, but eh.

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    Well since this time in D/P I plan to keep the usage of Action Replay to a minimum, I am serious when it comes to deciding movesets for my Kanto and Hoenn only pokemon. Everything else, I don't give a damn (just rebreed and EV train the newborn).

However the serious part kicks in mostly after I beat the E4 and catch Mewtwo/Latios/Latias/Rayquaza/Kyogre/Groudon. Before those two objectives are completed, I play for fun mainly. However I do catch some pokemon simply for the awesome factor (Arcanine and Alakazam, for example).

Last edited:
    Back